markmann79

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I have a new computer working for 7 months now. No problems so far. I saw some forums online that my PSU is not enough for my rig. I checked on online PSU calculators but it gives me different results.

Windows 7 Ultimate

Motherboard:
Intel Smackover DX58SO
Processor:
QuadCore Intel Core i7 920, 2.66 Ghz SLBEJ
Bloomfield DO Socket LGA 1366 Core 45nm
Memory:
2 x 2 GB DDR3 1333mhz
Kingston 2gb PC3-10600 CL9 240-pin DIMM
GPU:
MSI GeForce 9800GT 1024mb
HDD:
WD 10EADS-00M2BO ATA Device
1TB SATA 3Gb/s 32mb cache
Optical Drive:
LG Internal / GH22
Super Multi DVD Rewriter
Power Supply:
GE-C420N-C2

1x 20-24 pin motherboard connector
1x 4 pin motherboard connector
1x 6 pin graphics card connector
3x SATA connectors
3x peripheral connectors (chassis fans etc.)
1x small 4 pin connector (i also think this is for extra fans and such)
Casing:
Gigabyte GZ-X2
incl. 420watts PSU & 1x120mm Rear Fan
Monitor:
ACER 19" LCD
V193w
Others:
Additional Fan: 1x120mm & 1x80mm

Additional info:

Voltage reading via BIOS
+12v 12.23v
+5v 4.98v
+3.3v 3.22
+1.1v 1.08
Vccp 1.101

are these values normal?

What PSU (considering wattage and amperes) is best for this specs? (considering upgrades, additional USB devices)

Is everything compatible? (number & type of RAM, speed and performance etc)

Solution
^ Yes your PSU can keep up provided you dont overclock your CPU and dont install any powerful graphics card...It is just about enough for that 9800GT...
But the next best upgrade to that PC will surely be the PSU...

And as for PSU wattage, we had given it for a single powerful card setup...
If you will be going say Crossfire/ SLI(Multiple graphics card), then surely you would need a more powerful PSU...So that would depend on the graphics card/ cards that you will be using...And there is no harm using a larger PSU except that it would translate to waste of power thats all...
^ If your PC is running fine without any lockups or crashes, then the PSU is holding up good with that config...but I would say that the PSU has very little/ no headroom for further upgrades though...

If you are planning to upgrade your graphics, then get atleast a good quality 500W/ 550W PSU from Corsair/ Antec/ Seasonic/ Silverstone/ PCP&S/ CM Real power or CM Silent PRo

As fr the voltage readings, they are within the permissible limits...

And Yes everything is compatible but why not take advantage of the Tri-Channel memory controller of the i7 ? Install 1 more similar RAM stick on the 3rd slot to make run the memory in Tri-Channel...

markmann79

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
-->As long as its not crashing... its fine... however i would recommend getting something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

JW, but why do you have a dual channel ram kit on a i7 920 build? Also whats the amps on the 12v rail(s)?

-> is it not recommended to just have a dual channel kit on a i7? What are the disadvantages of this and whats the advantage of having a Tri-channel memory today?

I just thought that 4gig will do with todays softwares and games, I'm playing Tomb Raider underworld, RE 5, Prototype, Sims 3, NFS Shift, Left 4 Dead, RA3, Hawx etc. and everythings looks fine. Maybe in the future I will buy 2 more 2g RAMS to have a total 8g of memory or 4x4gb Ram if its available in the near future for a total of 16gb. Intel said that DX58SO can accomodate up to 16gb Ram. Is this true?

The amps of my PSU are as follows:

+3.3v 20.0A
+5v 16.0A
+12V1 10.0A
+12V2 13.0A
+5Vsb 2.5A
-12V 0.8A

Are these values alright for my system?

Thanks for the reply gkay09!

markmann79

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
-->Theyre pretty weak numbers... and i doubt its very efficent either... i would highly recommend getting a quality branded 550~ PSU

->How will I choose the right PSU for my system? Getting a 550 watts PSU is easy but choosing the right one for my system in terms of appropriate amperes each volts give is a problem.

How do i check what amperes of each volt should be for my system?

+1 for what P1n3apqlExpr3ss said about the PSU...
Those numbers are pretty weak...but for your current setup with the 9800GT, that PSU can just hold...
But on the safer side, getting a good PSU is the right thing...

As for the RAM, No I dint say that running the RAM in Dual-Channel is bad, but the Tri-Channel config is better as the softwares and games would get more memory bandwidth and tasks such as video conversion and editing would take advantage of the additional bandwidth and memory...
And do try to stick with Tri-Channel when you upgrade your RAM...

And as for amperage requirements,
+3.3v 20.0A and above
+5v 20.0A and above
Combined 12V rails -> Depends on the graphics card that you will be using but at the minimum atleast 30A if you will be using a discrete graphics card which require additional PCIe power
+5Vsb 2.5A
-12V 0.8A

shubham1401

Distinguished
Just look for good +12V amperage...

Brands like Corsair,Antec,OCZ make good quality PSU.

I would recommend these ones:
Corsair 550VX:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&Tpk=550vx

OCZ Modxstream 600W:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017&cm_re=modxstream-_-17-341-017-_-Product

OCZ Modxstream 500W:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016&cm_re=modxstream-_-17-341-016-_-Product

All these are good PSU though I prefer Corsair over any other brand.
These PSU will take the load of any single GPU.

As for the RAM support, yes it can support 16GB - provided you populate the slots with 4GB sticks, which at the moment are very highly priced...
And if you want Tri-Channel, populate only the Blue slots and avoid the Black slot...

And +1 for all the above PSU recommendations...

markmann79

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Wow really learning a lot here!

Based from the amperes requirement you gave Mr. gkay09, my PSU is quite a failure isn't it. So if I continue using my installed PSU for now is it ok? Won't my mobo, proc, or GPU be damaged? Is it ok to use a large PSU just in case I replace my PSU now? I mean, most of you guys recommend branded 550 PSU, what if I use 650w or 800w PSU so I wont need to change for a long time, is this bad also?

^ Yes your PSU can keep up provided you dont overclock your CPU and dont install any powerful graphics card...It is just about enough for that 9800GT...
But the next best upgrade to that PC will surely be the PSU...

And as for PSU wattage, we had given it for a single powerful card setup...
If you will be going say Crossfire/ SLI(Multiple graphics card), then surely you would need a more powerful PSU...So that would depend on the graphics card/ cards that you will be using...And there is no harm using a larger PSU except that it would translate to waste of power thats all...

Solution