HD Channels

I know ReplayTV does not have a HDTV unit out yet, but why are the HD
Channels popping up on the Channel Guide if the ReplayTV is incapable of
viewing them or recording them for that matter? I was about to buy a Sony
Grand Wega 50" HDTV, but decided to wait for the new models that are coming
out soon.

I was reading back, and ran across a post saying ReplayTV or whoever owns
ReplayTV will be the first to come out with a HDTV PVR. Aren't there HDTV
PVRs made by Tivo already out on the market? So where's the ReplayTV
version?
3 answers Last reply
More about channels

    On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 00:37:21 -0700, "THX1138" <GL@starwars.com.invalid>
    wrote:

    >I know ReplayTV does not have a HDTV unit out yet, but why are the HD
    >Channels popping up on the Channel Guide if the ReplayTV is incapable of
    >viewing them or recording them for that matter?

    All (or at least most) HD receivers can be set to convert all channels
    to NTSC. You lose most of the benefit of HD, but at least the Replay
    will be able to record that channel.

    > I was about to buy a Sony
    >Grand Wega 50" HDTV, but decided to wait for the new models that are coming
    >out soon.
    >
    >I was reading back, and ran across a post saying ReplayTV or whoever owns
    >ReplayTV will be the first to come out with a HDTV PVR. Aren't there HDTV
    >PVRs made by Tivo already out on the market? So where's the ReplayTV
    >version?

    There are several SPECIALIZED HD PVRs (mostly TiVo) these are designed
    to work on specific cable or satellite systems. Maybe Replay is going
    to make a more general-purpose model (just CableCard, or really
    general purpose?).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    I do not know if TIVO makes a HD version or not......

    However DNNA has officially announced the end of Replay as we know it,
    checks with DNNA have confirmed that the reason for this is that "next
    year's model" as folks in the business say, Will be HD compatable.

    So expect them soon

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    THX1138 wrote:
    > I know ReplayTV does not have a HDTV unit out yet, but why are the HD
    > Channels popping up on the Channel Guide if the ReplayTV is incapable of
    > viewing them or recording them for that matter? I was about to buy a Sony
    > Grand Wega 50" HDTV, but decided to wait for the new models that are coming
    > out soon.
    >
    > I was reading back, and ran across a post saying ReplayTV or whoever owns
    > ReplayTV will be the first to come out with a HDTV PVR. Aren't there HDTV
    > PVRs made by Tivo already out on the market? So where's the ReplayTV
    > version?

    Direct supplies a unit with Tivo, but is not renewing their agreement in
    favor of sourcing their own PVR. Tivo showed an HD Tivo in 2003, but as
    of yet still cannot find anyone willing to build it for them. DNNA has
    an elaborate media server coming out under the Escient label. The HD
    unit is due (according to DNNA corporate info) this year.

ReplayTV HDTV Home Theatre