Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe & AMD Phenom II X4 940

kr00lplatinum

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Hey everyone,

I need some help. I have an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard with bios version 1701. I just got my AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz from Newegg.com and installed it. I was told that with these new mobo bios it would support a Phenom II processor... I don't think it does. The motherboard suggest "Unknown Processor" and doesn't know how to regulate my RAM.

Anyone know if I can fix this problem?

If not can you please help me pick out a new mobo that will support DDR800 RAM, AMD Phenom II X4 940, and must have Optical out.

I thought of purchasing this one LINK HERE. I'm not sure if this mobo will support my processor though...

Thanks for the help!

Look

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Your ASUS board is a socket AM2, whereas your Phenom II X4 940 is an AM2+ CPU. Your current ASUS board does not support that processor.

The motherboard you linked (the MSI one) does support AM2+ processors, and will also run DDR2 800 RAM.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
had this motherboard once loved it and whot i can recal it culd handle am2+ altho it whos some time ago

if your stuck to buy a new one id rekomend te asus m4n82 deluxe its my curent realy lovely got my quad 965 up to 3,9 no problem. ewen got the flex energi stuf on so it down clocks when not in stress.

ok, so im not on my computer at home (with all of my bookmarks), but there is unofficial support for the PII X4's on this board, install the newest bios for the board and drop it in. FYI, i have done this with my PII X4 810, and it worked, word of advice, don't expect much of an overclock and the cpu could get stuck in CnQ mode at 800MHz

zimmalox

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
ive started a huge convo on this exact board... see i am also doing a lil upgrade on my cpu myself... the M2N SLi Deluxe (once bios is flashed to v1801 which is the latest version) it can unlock AM2+/AM3.... so basically look on the asus cpu support page for the board and chose a cpu in your price range and you should be set...