Sign in with
Your question

How to copy files from hard drive to external hard drive from non-working comput

Last response: in Storage
February 22, 2012 7:53:22 AM

Hello,
My desktop cannot boot up so I need to transfer fiiles from the hard drive to an external hard drive with a working laptop.
a c 260 G Storage
February 22, 2012 9:14:46 AM

Only way I know how to do it is to take the drive out and put it in an compatible external enclosure!
February 22, 2012 11:04:36 AM

You could put it in another working desktop and it should be recognized as another drive, D: E: whatever. then you could transfer the files via USB which would take a lifetime, or over a network crossover cable which should allow direct transfer from one computer to another from the RJ-45 ports, no router or anything other than the cable needed.
Related resources
a b G Storage
February 22, 2012 11:55:17 AM

Without removing the drive from the dead computer, this is not possible. The computer kind of needs to work to be able to use it. Since your other computer is a laptop, this probably isn't going to be that easy since standard desktop drives don't fit in a laptop.

Easiest thing to do is buy a cheap external HDD dock from Newegg. You can find them for $10-$15.
February 22, 2012 12:01:51 PM

Is the Desktop dead or it just dont boot? If it just wont boot, boot up a live CD like Ubuntu, and copy files that way.
February 22, 2012 12:14:26 PM

What messages are you getting if any? Keep in mind that it might not be booting because the hard drive itself is bad
!