Will 350 watt cpu work on ati 5770

klinkerman

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
I'm thinking of purchasing a Dell sx8100 from Best Buy for $1049. It's fairly loaded and has an ATI 5770 video card. My concern is the video card manufacturer says not to use it on a machine with less than a 450 cpu. The Dell machine the card is being sold with has a 350 cpu. The machine comes with an I-7 860 processor. I'm told the processor runs cooler than older ones and takes less power to operate and thought maybe this is why they're using an ATI 5770. Any advice?

That is because most of the cheaper power supplys rate the units at max output.
Meaning it will put out 450 watts for a few milliseconds, not continous.
Their continous output will be much less,sometimes as low as 300 watts.

The computer will run fine with the power supply.

klinkerman

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Thanks for the feedback. I probably won't use extremely high resolution on my monitor. Now, I'll sleep on it and decide whether I want to spend $1048 tomorrow or buy a lesser machine and upgrade the video card.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I would build a new machine or have someone build it for you, I would not recommend buying a system from best you, they are very overpriced, you could get that same system for a much better price going through a different source. Also buying a dell for that price isnt a good idea especially if you are looking for performance, future upgrades wont be too good.

www.newegg.com

TRENDING THREADS