Sign in with
Your question

Will 350 watt cpu work on ati 5770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 6, 2010 7:58:04 PM

I'm thinking of purchasing a Dell sx8100 from Best Buy for $1049. It's fairly loaded and has an ATI 5770 video card. My concern is the video card manufacturer says not to use it on a machine with less than a 450 cpu. The Dell machine the card is being sold with has a 350 cpu. The machine comes with an I-7 860 processor. I'm told the processor runs cooler than older ones and takes less power to operate and thought maybe this is why they're using an ATI 5770. Any advice?
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2010 8:14:32 PM

That is because most of the cheaper power supplys rate the units at max output.
Meaning it will put out 450 watts for a few milliseconds, not continous.
Their continous output will be much less,sometimes as low as 300 watts.

The computer will run fine with the power supply.
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2010 9:04:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I probably won't use extremely high resolution on my monitor. Now, I'll sleep on it and decide whether I want to spend $1048 tomorrow or buy a lesser machine and upgrade the video card.
m
l
February 7, 2010 4:59:50 AM

I would build a new machine or have someone build it for you, I would not recommend buying a system from best you, they are very overpriced, you could get that same system for a much better price going through a different source. Also buying a dell for that price isnt a good idea especially if you are looking for performance, future upgrades wont be too good.

www.newegg.com
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 172 à CPUs
February 7, 2010 1:18:51 PM

Look at the System Builder Marathon articles on this site's home page for ideas of what you can build for $1000.
m
l
!