Last resort - usb and drive letters

Hi,

As one of many others we are having problems assigning drive letters to usb
drives. We want our users, not being administrators, to acccess their usb
drives on a certain drive letter.
Well, enough information about this problem is documented on the Internet. I
spent many hours surfing the Internet and found no tool and no doable
workaround. Who does have a solution?

Thanks,

Joost Sannen

"j.sannenNOSPAM@PLEASElesscher.nl"
<j.sannenNOSPAM@PLEASElesscher.nl@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
: Hi,
:
: As one of many others we are having
problems assigning drive letters to usb
: drives. We want our users, not being
administrators, to acccess their usb
: drives on a certain drive letter.
: Well, enough information about this
problem is documented on the Internet. I
: spent many hours surfing the Internet and
found no tool and no doable
: workaround. Who does have a solution?
:
: Thanks,
:
: Joost Sannen

Learn to use Help.& Support & you'd have
your answer:
To assign, change, or remove a drive letter

Using the Windows interface

1.. Open Computer Management (Local).
2.. In the console tree, click Disk
Management.
Where?

a.. Computer Management (Local)
b.. Storage
c.. Disk Management
3.. Right-click a partition, logical
drive, or volume, and then click Change
Drive Letter and Paths.
4.. Do one of the following:
a.. To assign a drive letter, click Add,
click the drive letter you want to use, and
then click OK.
b.. To modify a drive letter, click it,
click Change, click the drive letter you
want to use, and then click OK.
c.. To remove a drive letter, click it,
and then click Remove.
Important

a.. Be careful when making drive-letter
assignments because many MS-DOS and Windows
programs make references to a specific drive
letter. For example, the path environment
variable shows specific drive letters in
conjunction with program names.
Notes

a.. To open Computer Management, click
Start, point to Settings, and then click
Control Panel. Double-click Administrative
Tools, and then double-click Computer
Management.
b.. You must be logged on as an
administrator or a member of the
Administrators group in order to complete
this procedure. If your computer is
connected to a network, network policy
settings might also prevent you from
completing this procedure.
c.. A computer can use up to 26 drive
letters. Drive letters A and B are reserved
for floppy disk drives, but you can assign
these letters to removable drives if the
computer does not have a floppy disk drive.
Hard disk drives in the computer receive
letters C through Z, while mapped network
drives are assigned drive letters in reverse
order (Z through B).
d.. You cannot change the drive letter of
the system volume or boot volume.
e.. An error message may appear when you
attempt to assign a letter to a volume,
CD-ROM drive, or other removable media
device, possibly because it is in use by a
program in the system. If this happens,
close the program accessing the volume or
drive, and then click the Change Drive
Letter and Paths command again.
f.. Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the
static assignment of drive letters on
volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives. This
means that you permanently assign a drive
letter to a specific partition, volume, or
CD-ROM drive. When you add a new hard disk
to an existing computer system, it will not
affect statically assigned drive letters.
g.. You can also mount a local drive at an
empty folder on an NTFS volume using a drive
path instead of a drive letter. For more
information, click Related Topics.
Using a command line

1.. Open Command Prompt.
2.. Type:
diskpart

3.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
list volume

Make note of the number of the simple
volume whose drive letter you want to
assign, change, or remove.

4.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
select volume n

Select the volume, where n is the volume's
number, whose drive letter you want to
assign, change, or remove.

5.. At the DISKPART prompt, type one of
the following:
a.. assign letter=L
Where L is the drive letter you want to
assign or change.

b.. remove letter=L
Where L is the drive letter you want to
remove.

Value Description
list volume Displays a list of basic
volumes on all disks.
select volume Selects the specified
volume, where n is the volume number, and
shifts the focus to it. If no volume is
specified, the select command lists the
current volume with focus. You can specify
the volume by number, drive letter, or mount
point path. On a basic disk, selecting a
volume also gives the corresponding
partition focus.
assign letter=L Assigns a drive
letter, L, to the volume with focus. If no
drive letter is specified, then the next
available drive letter is assigned. If the
drive letter is already in use, an error is
generated.
remove letter=L Removes the drive
letter, L, from the volume with focus. If no
drive letter or mount point is specified,
then DiskPart removes the first drive letter
or mount point it encounters.
The remove command can be used to
change the drive letter associated with a
removable drive. You cannot remove the drive
letters on system, boot, or paging volumes.

Notes

a.. To open a command prompt, click Start,
point to Programs, point to Accessories, and
then click Command Prompt.
[...]
h.. For more information about DiskPart,
click Related Topics.
Related Topics

begin 666 minusCold.gif
M1TE&.#EA"0`)`)$``/___\;#QH" @ ```"P`````"0`)`$ "$92/B3'=88*<
+4- 9;]5;YRL4`#L`
`
end

begin 666 shortcutCold.gif
M1TE&.#EA"0`)`*(``(AZA68)>\#<P+_4OH" @ ```````````"P`````"0`)
B```#'$@$W"HCR##>B+*2.ZG"E+=EEQ9=0OI%J:J\< (`.P``
`
end

begin 666 plusCold.gif
M1TE&.#EA"0`)`)$``/___\;#QH" @ ```"P`````"0`)`$ "%)2/B3'=88(<
..$HI*9:QULWY-(-<5`#L`
`
end

begin 666 important.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`)'_````_P``@,# P)F9F2'Y! $```(`+ `````*``H```(=
?E!6G"+D!1%-PB#$9L'A"$('9)P:6`4GFTYR/*Q0`.P``
`
end

begin 666 note.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`+/_`(V,C?__S/_,`/\%!?]=7<# P-/3T\# P(6%A0("`@``
M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````*``H`0 0H$,AI#AD@Z)U*
AR1HB)(8'<N,7&EJG;JV P4GZ&@D2(";<>HF@,.B)```[
`
end

"Datanet" wrote:

> [...]
> e.. An error message may appear when you
> attempt to assign a letter to a volume,
> CD-ROM drive, or other removable media
> device, possibly because it is in use by a
> program in the system. If this happens,
> close the program accessing the volume or
> drive, and then click the Change Drive
> Letter and Paths command again.
> f.. Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the
> static assignment of drive letters on
> volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives. This
> means that you permanently assign a drive
> letter to a specific partition, volume, or
> CD-ROM drive. When you add a new hard disk
> to an existing computer system, it will not
> affect statically assigned drive letters.
> g.. You can also mount a local drive at an
> empty folder on an NTFS volume using a drive
> path instead of a drive letter. For more
> information, click Related Topics.
> h.. For more information about DiskPart,

I am also facing the same problem only I'm not using a Network, I am just a
home user trying to use an Ultra MiniPortable Disk USB-2 external drive
enclosure to save and transfer data among several computers including
machines with Windows XP, Windows ME and Windows 98 2nd ed. The computer is
recognizing the drive. In fact, I have tried two separate hard drives within
the enclosure and both have been recognized. I have the drives' jumpers set
for slave or cable select. However, in no case is any of the Windows machines
assigning the drive a drive letter. I don't really have a clue on how to get
to Disk Management. I can find the drives in the System folder and see the
properties but otherwise, I don't know what to do in either of the operating
systems. I figure that what works for Win 98 will also work for ME. Help!!!

Jerry Hall

dardelei

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
USBDLM is a Windows service that gives control over Window's drive letter assignment for USB drives. Running as service makes it independent of the logged on user's privileges, so there is no need to give the users the privilege to change drive letters.
It automatically solves conflicts between USB drives and network or subst drives of the currently logged on user.
Furthermore you can define new default letters for USB drives and much more.

Please check the following site to download a free copy:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

It works like a charm...