Last resort - usb and drive letters

Hi,

As one of many others we are having problems assigning drive letters to usb
drives. We want our users, not being administrators, to acccess their usb
drives on a certain drive letter.
Well, enough information about this problem is documented on the Internet. I
spent many hours surfing the Internet and found no tool and no doable
workaround. Who does have a solution?

Thanks,

Joost Sannen
4 answers Last reply
More about last resort drive letters

    "j.sannenNOSPAM@PLEASElesscher.nl"
    <j.sannenNOSPAM@PLEASElesscher.nl@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message
    : Hi,
    :
    : As one of many others we are having
    problems assigning drive letters to usb
    : drives. We want our users, not being
    administrators, to acccess their usb
    : drives on a certain drive letter.
    : Well, enough information about this
    problem is documented on the Internet. I
    : spent many hours surfing the Internet and
    found no tool and no doable
    : workaround. Who does have a solution?
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : Joost Sannen

    Learn to use Help.& Support & you'd have
    your answer:
    To assign, change, or remove a drive letter

    Using the Windows interface

    1.. Open Computer Management (Local).
    2.. In the console tree, click Disk
    Management.
    Where?

    a.. Computer Management (Local)
    b.. Storage
    c.. Disk Management
    3.. Right-click a partition, logical
    drive, or volume, and then click Change
    Drive Letter and Paths.
    4.. Do one of the following:
    a.. To assign a drive letter, click Add,
    click the drive letter you want to use, and
    then click OK.
    b.. To modify a drive letter, click it,
    click Change, click the drive letter you
    want to use, and then click OK.
    c.. To remove a drive letter, click it,
    and then click Remove.
    Important

    a.. Be careful when making drive-letter
    assignments because many MS-DOS and Windows
    programs make references to a specific drive
    letter. For example, the path environment
    variable shows specific drive letters in
    conjunction with program names.
    Notes

    a.. To open Computer Management, click
    Start, point to Settings, and then click
    Control Panel. Double-click Administrative
    Tools, and then double-click Computer
    Management.
    b.. You must be logged on as an
    administrator or a member of the
    Administrators group in order to complete
    this procedure. If your computer is
    connected to a network, network policy
    settings might also prevent you from
    completing this procedure.
    c.. A computer can use up to 26 drive
    letters. Drive letters A and B are reserved
    for floppy disk drives, but you can assign
    these letters to removable drives if the
    computer does not have a floppy disk drive.
    Hard disk drives in the computer receive
    letters C through Z, while mapped network
    drives are assigned drive letters in reverse
    order (Z through B).
    d.. You cannot change the drive letter of
    the system volume or boot volume.
    e.. An error message may appear when you
    attempt to assign a letter to a volume,
    CD-ROM drive, or other removable media
    device, possibly because it is in use by a
    program in the system. If this happens,
    close the program accessing the volume or
    drive, and then click the Change Drive
    Letter and Paths command again.
    f.. Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the
    static assignment of drive letters on
    volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives. This
    means that you permanently assign a drive
    letter to a specific partition, volume, or
    CD-ROM drive. When you add a new hard disk
    to an existing computer system, it will not
    affect statically assigned drive letters.
    g.. You can also mount a local drive at an
    empty folder on an NTFS volume using a drive
    path instead of a drive letter. For more
    information, click Related Topics.
    Using a command line

    1.. Open Command Prompt.
    2.. Type:
    diskpart

    3.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
    list volume

    Make note of the number of the simple
    volume whose drive letter you want to
    assign, change, or remove.

    4.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
    select volume n

    Select the volume, where n is the volume's
    number, whose drive letter you want to
    assign, change, or remove.

    5.. At the DISKPART prompt, type one of
    the following:
    a.. assign letter=L
    Where L is the drive letter you want to
    assign or change.

    b.. remove letter=L
    Where L is the drive letter you want to
    remove.

    Value Description
    list volume Displays a list of basic
    volumes on all disks.
    select volume Selects the specified
    volume, where n is the volume number, and
    shifts the focus to it. If no volume is
    specified, the select command lists the
    current volume with focus. You can specify
    the volume by number, drive letter, or mount
    point path. On a basic disk, selecting a
    volume also gives the corresponding
    partition focus.
    assign letter=L Assigns a drive
    letter, L, to the volume with focus. If no
    drive letter is specified, then the next
    available drive letter is assigned. If the
    drive letter is already in use, an error is
    generated.
    remove letter=L Removes the drive
    letter, L, from the volume with focus. If no
    drive letter or mount point is specified,
    then DiskPart removes the first drive letter
    or mount point it encounters.
    The remove command can be used to
    change the drive letter associated with a
    removable drive. You cannot remove the drive
    letters on system, boot, or paging volumes.

    Notes

    a.. To open a command prompt, click Start,
    point to Programs, point to Accessories, and
    then click Command Prompt.
[...]
    h.. For more information about DiskPart,
    click Related Topics.
    Related Topics

    begin 666 minusCold.gif
    M1TE&.#EA"0`)`)$``/___\;#QH" @ ```"P`````"0`)`$ "$92/B3'=88*<
    +4- 9;]5;YRL4`#L`
    `
    end

    begin 666 shortcutCold.gif
    M1TE&.#EA"0`)`*(``(AZA68)>\#<P+_4OH" @ ```````````"P`````"0`)
    B```#'$@$W"HCR##>B+*2.ZG"E+=EEQ9=0OI%J:J\< (`.P``
    `
    end

    begin 666 plusCold.gif
    M1TE&.#EA"0`)`)$``/___\;#QH" @ ```"P`````"0`)`$ "%)2/B3'=88(<
    ..$HI*9:QULWY-(-<5`#L`
    `
    end

    begin 666 important.gif
    M1TE&.#EA"@`*`)'_````_P``@,# P)F9F2'Y! $```(`+ `````*``H```(=
    ?E!6G"+D!1%-PB#$9L'A"$('9)P:6`4GFTYR/*Q0`.P``
    `
    end

    begin 666 note.gif
    M1TE&.#EA"@`*`+/_`(V,C?__S/_,`/\%!?]=7<# P-/3T\# P(6%A0("`@``
    M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````*``H`0 0H$,AI#AD@Z)U*
    AR1HB)(8'<N,7&EJG;JV P4GZ&@D2(";<>HF@,.B)```[
    `
    end

    "Datanet" wrote:

> [...]
    > e.. An error message may appear when you
    > attempt to assign a letter to a volume,
    > CD-ROM drive, or other removable media
    > device, possibly because it is in use by a
    > program in the system. If this happens,
    > close the program accessing the volume or
    > drive, and then click the Change Drive
    > Letter and Paths command again.
    > f.. Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the
    > static assignment of drive letters on
    > volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives. This
    > means that you permanently assign a drive
    > letter to a specific partition, volume, or
    > CD-ROM drive. When you add a new hard disk
    > to an existing computer system, it will not
    > affect statically assigned drive letters.
    > g.. You can also mount a local drive at an
    > empty folder on an NTFS volume using a drive
    > path instead of a drive letter. For more
    > information, click Related Topics.
    > h.. For more information about DiskPart,

    I am also facing the same problem only I'm not using a Network, I am just a
    home user trying to use an Ultra MiniPortable Disk USB-2 external drive
    enclosure to save and transfer data among several computers including
    machines with Windows XP, Windows ME and Windows 98 2nd ed. The computer is
    recognizing the drive. In fact, I have tried two separate hard drives within
    the enclosure and both have been recognized. I have the drives' jumpers set
    for slave or cable select. However, in no case is any of the Windows machines
    assigning the drive a drive letter. I don't really have a clue on how to get
    to Disk Management. I can find the drives in the System folder and see the
    properties but otherwise, I don't know what to do in either of the operating
    systems. I figure that what works for Win 98 will also work for ME. Help!!!

    Jerry Hall
  3. USBDLM is a Windows service that gives control over Window's drive letter assignment for USB drives. Running as service makes it independent of the logged on user's privileges, so there is no need to give the users the privilege to change drive letters.
    It automatically solves conflicts between USB drives and network or subst drives of the currently logged on user.
    Furthermore you can define new default letters for USB drives and much more.

    Please check the following site to download a free copy:
    http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

    It works like a charm...

Configuration USB Internet Windows XP