Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded CPU from Pentium D to Duel Core but computer is slower!

Last response: in CPUs
April 23, 2010 11:11:54 AM

I thought upgrading my CPU would be relatively easy but I must have missed something :( 

My NEC Powermate V7200 had a Pentium D 935 (3.2Ghz 2X2M L2 800FSB - according to the sticker on the side). After some basic research, I found that the Pentium Duel Core E5400 would be suitable for my motherboard so I bought it.

I just installed the new chip tonight and I'm pretty sure I installed the heat sink and fan correctly (used thermal paste too) yet my computer seems to be running slower!

The proof was that Vista's Windows Experience Index rates this new processor with a score of 4.5 when my old one was 4.9! Also, not sure if this is relevant, but the fan is really noisy all of a sudden.

Any idea where I've gone wrong? Surely the Intel E5400 isn't really slower than the Pentium D 935?

My only suspicion is something I read about the BUS(?) speed needing to be a multiple of the DRAM speed otherwise you won't get optimal results... pretty confused about that though. I downloaded CPUID and will put some screen shots up if that gives more info...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 11:52:23 AM

Your CPU is running at less than half the speed its suppose to. What motherboard do you have? You may have to update the bios.
April 23, 2010 12:24:37 PM

The multiplier is wrong. x6 should be x13.5.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 12:31:38 PM

There is nothing wrong. In idle, the multiplier decreases to save power. You can disactivate that option in bios.
The fact is that the E5400 is crappy.
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 12:53:10 PM

the cpu is throttled to keep the cpu cool, if the heatsink is not in propper contact with the cpu, the cpu will underclock itself and the fan will spin up to try and keep the system cool, remoove the cooler and reaply thermal paste and do the whole process over
a c 159 à CPUs
April 23, 2010 12:58:20 PM

Disable speedstep in the bios; I wouldn't reinstall the heatsink. It's probably fine.
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 1:06:13 PM

o1die said:
Disable speedstep in the bios; I wouldn't reinstall the heatsink. It's probably fine.

"but the fan is really noisy all of a sudden"
a c 159 à CPUs
April 23, 2010 1:10:06 PM

Just go into the bios and look for a "pc health" or "hardware monitor" section and turn down the rpms with the smartfan function. I use the calibration and then set the trigger temps higher with manual settings. 1500-2500 rpm is all you need unless you plan to overclock. If your board doesn't use smartfan, you may have to purchase a zalman fan mate one rpm adjuster. They cost about $7. You can try reinstalling the heatsink, but it may be fine. I always turn over the motherboard when installing it and check the position of the plastic inserts to see if they are all engaged into the holes the same length.
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 1:10:44 PM

The E5400 is not crappy, and he should definitely see a difference from his old Pentium D. If it was speedstep then wouldnt it have gone back to normal in the Vista test?
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 3:15:07 PM

o1die said:
Just go into the bios and look for a "pc health" or "hardware monitor" section and turn down the rpms with the smartfan function. I use the calibration and then set the trigger temps higher with manual settings. 1500-2500 rpm is all you need unless you plan to overclock. If your board doesn't use smartfan, you may have to purchase a zalman fan mate one rpm adjuster. They cost about $7. You can try reinstalling the heatsink, but it may be fine. I always turn over the motherboard when installing it and check the position of the plastic inserts to see if they are all engaged into the holes the same length.

when the cpu overheats i hope you plan to pay him back for it
April 23, 2010 5:19:39 PM

Refit the CPU. As bige420 says the processor is not running at its correct speed. Check for BIOS update.
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 5:45:16 PM

xaira said:
the cpu is throttled to keep the cpu cool, if the heatsink is not in propper contact with the cpu, the cpu will underclock itself and the fan will spin up to try and keep the system cool, remoove the cooler and reaply thermal paste and do the whole process over

Agree,

Can you download a temp program like core temp?

From what your describing, It sounds like the cpu's overheating. Which can mean the HSF was not fully connected or improperly installed as xaira is saying. Just be sure to clean off the old paste before putting new paste on and attaching the HSF.
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 6:21:04 PM

steps to take in case you get confused.

What motherboard do you have? this is the first step

go to the CPU support page for that motherboard model and see if the E5400 is supported. my guess is that it is but it will require a specific BIOS version. If so, download that BIOS version and activate it over your current BIOS. This is the second step

turn off speedstep and C1E in the BIOS. this is the third step

monitor your temps with HWMonitor from the CPUID website, if they are too high, then your CPU is being throttled down to prevent it from frying, this is the fourth step

remove heatsink/fan, clean the heatsink & CPU of any excess thermal compound, reseat the CPU, apply a small amount of thermal compound (about half of a pea-size) to the heatsink, attach heatsink to the CPU. This is the fifth step.

start up machine and see if this helped.

you do not have to do all of the steps if you find the issue to be at a previous step.
a c 159 à CPUs
April 23, 2010 6:22:04 PM

Try pressing down slightly on each corner of the heatsink before removing it. You should be able to hear a clicking sound if a heatsink pin is loose and it locks into the board.
April 23, 2010 11:28:20 PM

Wow, this is a great forum :wahoo:  Thanks so much for your responses guys, really appreciate it.

Well, I followed your advice and upgraded my BIOS (motherboard was Intel D946GZIS). That went well and it resulted in a quiet fan again.

Then I disabled EIST, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Vista WEI processor score was the same (lower than my Pentium D) and CPUID reported clock core speed still only 1.2 Ghz. Tried playing a game and it was noticeably slower than before too.

Downloaded HWMonitor and this is what it currently says (computer has been on for about 2 hours) :

What do you think? Still recommend reinstalling heat sink fan? (The only thing I think I could have done wrong is put too much thermal paste...)

Or, should I go back to BIOS settings and change the multiplier speed to x13.5, as some are suggesting? CPUID is still saying I'm running at x6.

a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 11:51:01 PM

those temps dont seem too bad,

download this and run the 32mb bench, keep cpu-z open and let us know what is the highest speed the cpu runs at also keep hwmonitor open and let us know what is the highest cpu temp you record, im guessing you use the stock cooler

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/wPrime.s...
April 24, 2010 12:05:11 AM

That application isn't working, for some reason. Opening wprime.exe causes dialog box "unexpected error; quitting".
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2010 12:08:26 AM

open it with admin privileges, forgot 2 add that part, that happens in vista and 7
a c 127 à CPUs
April 24, 2010 12:13:31 AM

The Windows benchmark is not the best when it comes to CPU performance. In pretty much everything, the Pentium Dual Core E5400 will beat the Pentium D 935.

My suggestion is to try to run a game with both, record the FPS then see for yourself.
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2010 12:21:21 AM

he said himself that its noticably slower
April 25, 2010 11:42:32 AM

Ran PRIME, CPU temps normal but max speed still only 1.197MHz :( 

I've disabled EIST, but nothing has changed. How can I manually increase the multiplier?
April 25, 2010 11:48:49 AM

You may want an answer from someone more familiar with your M/B and Intel. In BIOS, find CPU speed settings. When you change from AUTO to MANUAL a whole new batch of settings will be available. A hard setting of the multiplier should be a selection. Mine defaults to 6 which is why I went there when I saw it on your screencap.
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2010 12:00:09 PM

how did temps look while prime was running?

use the default setting in bios
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2010 1:54:49 PM

Enter bios and in "advanced options" (o something similar) you have to look for "Advanced CPU settings" (o something similar). Then find something like "multiplier" or "Ratio actual value"...If the value is 6x, increase it to the max.
If you tell me the model of your mobo, I would be more concrete.
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2010 3:46:09 PM

Are you sure your motherboard actually supports 45nm processors?

What motherboard do you have?
April 25, 2010 3:49:45 PM

Can't seem to find any settings like those in the BIOS.

My motherboard is an Intel D946GZIS, I believe.
April 25, 2010 7:38:35 PM

Agreed. That's a very low end board, (it even has a serial port on the back panel), and the chip not being listed is not a good sign. The latest BIOS update being from `08 is worse.
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2010 10:57:24 PM

Yep. Your mobo supports the 65nm PentiumDuals , not the 45nm PentiumDuals.
April 25, 2010 11:13:41 PM

Oh man :(  So much for wanting to upgrade my CPU. Thanks for all your help though.

Is there any easy way to replace my motherboard, or is it not worth the effort? I'm leaning towards just waiting and buying a new computer in a year. Wonder if I can sell the E5400 on ebay.
April 26, 2010 12:28:50 AM

Honestly, just wait. The E5400 is not a major upgrade for you. I'd sell the proc on EBay and wait to get a new PC next year (if that's what you were thinking). This time next year, you should be able to put together a nice i5 at a real bargain!
April 26, 2010 12:30:05 AM

yeah thats almost what i was thinking. sell the e5400 on craigslist or ebay and put that money toward a nice pc next year.
April 26, 2010 7:56:59 AM

Good idea, I think I'll wait and get something better next year. Thanks again for all your advice guys. Twas a good learning experience for me.

Here goes one almost-new E5400 on ebay! :p 
!