Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking with a turbo ratio

Last response: in Overclocking
November 20, 2012 4:44:09 PM

Hello,
I am just curious if many people are overclocking using the turbo multiplier compared to just increasing the CPU multiplier.

I ask because wouldn't there be an obvious benefit of having a more dynamic CPU clock spread by only pushing the turbo and allowing the cpu to clock way down when idling?

I am been playing with this concept on my new 3770K and it gladly goes to 4.4ghz while any substantial load is applied and drops back down to 3.5 or in that range when idling.

I guess I am curious about who else does this and just general thoughts on the matter.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 20, 2012 6:06:51 PM

Any 'real' overclocker disables turbo features as soon as they start clocking, as well as disabling any throttling features, you want total control over the system, you can't afford to have some bios-controlled feature trying to boost things up and ruin your finely tuned overclock up :) 
once the clock is stable and tested, you would normally re-enable the throttling feature to idle it down when not required
Moto
m
l
November 20, 2012 6:42:23 PM

Sorry moto I didnt realize I was dealing with a "REAL" overclocker (rolls eyes). Why bother setting the cpu to remain at 4.4 (or what ever speed) when I can specify that I only want it to "boost" to such speeds when needed?

I am currently sitting at 3.5 ghz. My cpu is sitting at a nice 28*. When I open any application that will utilize any significant cpu power, Intel's Turbo Boost enables thus clocking my cpu to 4.4ghz. This is not a single core boost but rather all 4 cores (8 threads). I have tested several benchmark and it shows that there is no advantage to me setting the cpu to 4.4 when I can have it boost to 4.4 only when needed.

I am just confused on why no one seems to mirror this logic? Keeping it slower when idle allows the cpu to be cooler and less power hungry.

m
l
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 20, 2012 7:50:27 PM

They both perform the same task but by manually setting things, you are in full control, thats the best way I can put it, but I was being a little elitist when I said 'real' clockers :-)
When you re-enable cool and quiet or speedstep, the cpu throttles down when not required to function at full speed, instead of it being defined by the boost, you decide whhat speed is the maximum
Moto
m
l
November 20, 2012 7:59:01 PM

yea I guess I dont understand why people dont want that. It seems like no one even mentions it as a possible option when overclocking these new chips. Im sitting just under 1.2v stable at 4.5ghz. Im happy with it being a more dynamic based speed so Ill take it.

Thanks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 21, 2012 8:13:13 AM

I overclock using the turbo method. My system is stable and runs way cooler than if I would've set a fixed overclock. I like having my system downclock when it's idle.

i5 2500K at 4.8, v core at 1.43
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 9:17:15 AM

I prefer overclocking Turbo ratio instead of CPU ratio

Cpu ratio overclocking is easier to do and easier to push further easily with more stability due to u dont have to worry about clock rates changing, voltages changing and many other factors
Its actually generally hard to Over clock turbo ratio cause it takes a lot more tweaking to reach high clocks with stability.

Honestly I prefer the turbo ratio over clock, it took me ages to reach stable 5.0ghz setting on my 3930k turbo ratio overclock, (cpu ration overclock to 5ghz was quite easy) but now that its done its great , lower idle power usage + serious grunt when i need it.
Ideally for Turbo ratio overclocks you want a motherboard that offers a lot of voltage and power phase controls , will make your life a lot easier when you can manually control all the power settings as well as dynamic voltage modifiers
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
November 21, 2012 9:51:15 AM

You know what, honestly, when you OC with the Turbo multi's (at least as long as all the multi's are set to the same thing), Turbo is, for all intents and purposes, disabled anyway, since it can't function as intended.

With that said, I use the main CPU multiplier to OC, and keep SpeedStep enabled to still idle at 1.6.

What Motopsychojdn is saying is that you should disable SpeedStep (and other power saving features) when you're fine tuning your OC, and when you're happy with it, you can re-enable everything. That way, you know have a stable OC without other things interfering.

I'm definitely all for keeping SpeedStep enabled after you have the OC locked in, though. There's no reason whatsoever to run the CPU full speed all of the time.

If you need full speed, and don't want to deal with SpeedStep (while you're gaming, for instance), you can just enable the High Performance power plan in Windows, which basically disables SpeedStep from within Windows. After you're done, you just set it back to the Balanced power plan, and all is back to normal.

I really don't understand why even the most hardcore overclockers don't do that. It just makes perfect sense.
m
l
!