Dramatically low read and write speeds? on an SSD setup?

pabloe168

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
m8IrF.png

Why?

Raid 0 setup SSD like this

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-X25-V-Value-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B0031X8HG2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1329928792&sr=8-10

Which I got when tehy first came out.

Why whats wrong? Is it fixable?

I am sorry:

Gigabyte UDR3 motherboard
Intel I7 930
10gb ram DDR3
Windows 7 x64

PNY gtx 580
And a storage HDD 1.5tb

Solution
^ Concur on breaking area and runing their secure erease.
If you are commited to using them in Raid0. Might want to see if you can do an Image of Your "C" drive (providing windows installation is not the Problem) then you can do a restore of the image with out having to to the reinstall - load all drivers followed by reinstalling all of your programs.

What I do on all my systems is:
.. Install windows
.. Load all drivers
.. Load all programs
. Test, verify stability ect.
.. THEN creat an Image of by "C" drive. Save the image to both an Internal HDD and to an external HDD.
Then when ever I need to re-install, I just use this image. Takes me about 10 Min to redo my windows + programs and it is just as fresh as a new born Babe.
The read/write spec's of those sata2 SSD's are low to begin with and the numbers shown are what you would be getting for a single drive conneted to a sata2 port. However since you haven't listed the other components in your computer I don't know if something else in the processing chain is bottlenecking your raid setup.
Motherboard? cpu? ram? operating system?

What Driver are you using? You should be on the Intel sata ports, not a marvel sata III port (Didn't look up your MB, so just a general comment). If on the Intel sata II ports then, Should be using the Intel RST driver, preferably the latest version which I think is 10.8

Trim is not passed in raid0 config so must rely soley on Garbage Colloctor and Not sure just how good that is on the "Older" generation Intel SSDs. Over time this can "overload" the drive and performance will drop off.

You might be better off using as two single drives.
.. Drive 1 OS + most used programs (and programs that will not let you install to "D" drive.
.. Drive 2 setup as overflow for programs.

Added Comments.
.. Disable Hibernation.
.. Limit size of Page file - set min and max to same value ie 1024 mbs (this can also be set to None for C drive and be moved to 2nd SSD or to a HDD.
.. Limit restore points (will eat up a lot of space over time). Myself, I turn off
.. Move "my docs folder to a HDD
.. Move internet temp files to HDD.

10gb of ram is an odd amount for a triple channel x58 motherboard , sometimes just throwing in odd sticks of ram just because you have them and it works doesn't mean that it's a good thing to do.
You should have the raid setup on the Intel sata2 ports with an updated Intel raid driver.
What are the sizes of the ram sticks? with triple channel you should have 3 ,6 ,12 ,18 or 24gb of ram installed.

pabloe168

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
I have 3 sticks 2Gb and one 4gb. All have the same frequencies. I don't think thats related though, my pc detects and uses all the ram when needed. And I used the recommended config on the manual for having 4 sticks.

Download/install/run HWMonitor.
Look at memory tab and see if you are running in triple channel mod - most likely you are running in single channel mode.
Tripple channel requires memory be installed in sets of 3 sticks.

As you are operating in single channel mode that will cut your memory speed down - lower than even dual cannel mode.
When you read/write to a disk the info on the Disk has to go thru the memory.
Try this, remove the 4 gig stick, leaving the 3 x 2 gig sticks in the CORRECT slots for triple channel mode and rerun your benchmark.

NOTE: it is not advisable to run repeaded benchmarks on an SSD. Scores will drop as a function of nr of times run and the interval between passes - Remember your using Raid0 so NO TRIM.

Added, Little benifit going from 6 gigs -> 10 Gigs unless you have applications that can use it.

pabloe168

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

qLNXY.png

Removed one ram module. Started using tripple channel. But as you suggested speed went down. I think my only option will be breaking the array. Cleaning ssds. Use SSDtoolbox update firmware and benchmark again...

^ Concur on breaking area and runing their secure erease.
If you are commited to using them in Raid0. Might want to see if you can do an Image of Your "C" drive (providing windows installation is not the Problem) then you can do a restore of the image with out having to to the reinstall - load all drivers followed by reinstalling all of your programs.

What I do on all my systems is:
.. Install windows
.. Load all drivers
.. Load all programs
. Test, verify stability ect.
.. THEN creat an Image of by "C" drive. Save the image to both an Internal HDD and to an external HDD.
Then when ever I need to re-install, I just use this image. Takes me about 10 Min to redo my windows + programs and it is just as fresh as a new born Babe.

Solution