Wondering about CPU temp on new build

avianrand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
New system. Just getting things together and testing hardware at this point. No overclocking yet. No software installed. HDD's not even formatted. CPU: i7-930; Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 board; Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler. On my old system (Q6600 quad 2.4 GHz with a Zalman 9500 cooler) The CPU rarely gets over 30C with the fan running at about 1800RPM. I mostly write software and rarely play any games (and those tend to be older adventure games anyway like Riven, Monkey Island, etc). Even with Prime95 running 1/2 hour or so it didn't get much above 45C. The fans on the Noctua run pretty slow by comparison. 1300RPM max I think without the slow-down adapters (which I don't know why you'd ever use because even at max speed these fans are incredibly quiet). Anyway, just running for a few minutes in the BIOS the CPU temp is 35C. That seems high to me but maybe it's not. I'm just used to a very cold CPU. I've never had trouble mounting coolers before and this time was no exception. In fact mounting the Noctua was a pleasure compared to the Zalman. So I'm confident that's not the problem but it is possible. I was way more careful about spreading thermal compound (used what came with the cooler) than I've ever been before.

exela

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Well i was interested myself in temps last few days , and 35C it's good. Worries should appear around 65-70. I got a Q8300 staying around 45C and everyone said it's ok :)

G

hey buddy....

nothing panicking

The ideal temperature which I suggest is 43C to 66C ,You should worry if the temp increses more than 75c as u hurt ur CPU just try getting speedfan it will show u all yur speed of fan as well as temp.Remember the i7 can only tolerate upto 120c,beyond tha u will fry ur system well frying starts at 95 to 97C

Best of luck.......

reagards..........

tan007

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
ey bro...

I can say that u never overclocked.....

well I just quote the anonymous as it was y expired account....

The ideal temperature which I suggest is 43C to 66C ,You should worry if the temp increses more than 75c as u hurt ur CPU just try getting speedfan it will show u all yur speed of fan as well as temp.Remember the i7 can only tolerate upto 120c,beyond tha u will fry ur system well frying starts at 95 to 97C

be a friend to ur computer.......

strain hard.....

regard.....