Covering the HD 5770's fan

rmcastil

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
I recently put together a system. I have a P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard and a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 video card. I also have a Hauppauge Tuner Card that I wanted to install on the board. The problem is that the 5770 covers one of the two PCI slots. The only other available PCI slot is directly under the 5770's fan.

What pros and cons should I consider before going with this type of installation? And if in the future I want to buy another HD 5770 for crossfire would this work despite having the Hauppauge between the two video cards?

Solution
A side fan pushing cold air into that intake for the 5770 would be nice to help cool things. The 5770 is a fairly cool and power efficient card anyway so as long as there is room for air to get to the fan it should be ok. Run something that monitors the GPU temps to be sure they dont go up too much and make sure to keep its heatsink clean.
A side fan pushing cold air into that intake for the 5770 would be nice to help cool things. The 5770 is a fairly cool and power efficient card anyway so as long as there is room for air to get to the fan it should be ok. Run something that monitors the GPU temps to be sure they dont go up too much and make sure to keep its heatsink clean.

Solution