Sign in with
Your question

Will an H80 fit with my case?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 20, 2012 7:36:51 PM

Hey there, I've currently got a budget case - the Rosewill Challenger, which I will be upgrading at some point in the near future, but if possible I'd rather upgrade from my air-cooled CPU to a water-cooling system. I am looking at the Corsair H80, specifically.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That is the link to my case - there really isn't much room for cable management in it as is, so I'm a bit worried about adding an H80 because I don't know if it will fit.. Would it be wiser to first upgrade my case, then get the H80? Or am I okay to upgrade to the H80 with the challenger, and eventually shift everything over to a new, bigger case?

Thanks for the help.

More about : h80 fit case

a b K Overclocking
November 20, 2012 8:39:02 PM

It would mount in the rear 120 fan location and over hang the MOBO quite a bit since it is a 38mm radiator with 2 25 mm fans.
The radiator is restrictive so the fans will be loud unless you ditch the stock ones for a fan that is higher quality. I had 2 H80's and they are decent coolers with good air flow. You would tie up $130-$140 for that unit and upgraded fans.
m
l
November 20, 2012 11:51:38 PM

Well I actually recently bought 2 of these fans for my computer.. They are a bit loud, but they have a hell of a CFM rating..

I have one in the rear, and one installed in the top both as exhaust. I have 2x xigmatek (~35 CFM) fans installed on the side as intake, and my front is a stock fan that came with the mobo (probably horrible) as intake.

these are the two installed on the side for intake:

Just to give you an idea of my setup.

Do you think if I put the two scythe fans, one on each side of the radiator, that I would be good to go? Also, would you recommend I just buy the case and cooler at the same time? I don't need either right away, but they are both upgrades I would plan on getting next, probably after a GTX 680.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 21, 2012 1:17:20 AM

I don't see any reason to upgrade your case with what you have the h80 dose not add any positive ascetics to any case so I just done see the point. maybe I just missed the point.
m
l
November 21, 2012 1:25:17 AM

The point is I don't want my case to be uber-cluttered. It is not about looks in terms of the H80, it's more so an issue of space. The inside of my case is already cluttered - I currently have 2 GTX 560's SLI'd, my PSU is non-modular so the bottom has a nice bundle of cables (as neatly as I could get them) taking up space, and I feel like the tubes would be all up against things on the inside of the case - not to mention there's not much head room between the board and the side-panel fans.

I originally bought this case because it was very cheap - I was on a budget and wanted to put $ into the important things and add on to the eye-candy after the performance was where I wanted it. I really need to get a new one as I am not a fan of the case, it's very cheap in general.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 21, 2012 9:06:48 AM

sorry I think I might of had a lack of sleep high when I posted that.

Can you tell us what you CPU you have, and what cpu cooler you useing,
and the case is a really nice pretty case,

I would assume you would save space using an h80 from most of the cpu coolers out there.
m
l
November 21, 2012 3:00:02 PM

Right now I'm using Zalman CNPS9500A for my CPU cooler.. I've got an i5-2500k @4.7ghz right now, and once I get water-cooling I will most likely push it to 5 GHz (but may not leave it on that all the time depending on how impacting it will be on the hardware).

I think I will go ahead and get the H80 first then, if you guys think it will fit.. I'm not sure what Giltyler means by 'hanging over the mobo' a bit, but it seems that it would fit with no problem. The case will be something I will upgrade in the future, as this video card and water-cooling upgrade will be my last for a little while.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 21, 2012 3:18:31 PM

ephexx793 said:
Right now I'm using Zalman CNPS9500A for my CPU cooler.. I've got an i5-2500k @4.7ghz right now, and once I get water-cooling I will most likely push it to 5 GHz (but may not leave it on that all the time depending on how impacting it will be on the hardware).

I think I will go ahead and get the H80 first then, if you guys think it will fit.. I'm not sure what Giltyler means by 'hanging over the mobo' a bit, but it seems that it would fit with no problem. The case will be something I will upgrade in the future, as this video card and water-cooling upgrade will be my last for a little while.

Look at this picture of my rig with the H80 and you can see what I mean my over hang ofthe MOBO Keep in mind My case is al large as Mid Towers get in width and depth. You can always mout one of the fans on the rear of the case if you have issues.
Look at newegg they have a big pre black friday sale I say I nice lantec case for 1/2 price loaded with fans

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
November 21, 2012 3:54:15 PM

Yeah, I've been looking at Newegg and their sales. I appreciate the picture, it actually makes me feel much more comfortable buying the H80 with the case I currently have - it's not as big as I thought it would be, but I do need to keep in mind how large your case's inside is compared to mine.

Would you suggest putting the 2 scythe fans I linked in my first reply on the H80 once I get it?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 21, 2012 5:13:13 PM

If I did not have the Areocool shark fans to start with I would use Noctua focused flow fans
m
l
!