Sign in with
Your question

Tried overclocking for first time now having problems

Last response: in Overclocking
November 20, 2012 8:18:34 PM

So I tried overclocking my processor for the first time after having my computer for about half a year. Successfully got the speed on it up to 3.6 ghz and ran prime98 but the computer froze. Afterwards I restored default values in BIOS including the cpu overclock and everything would run good but then the computer would either freeze or bluescreen on me. Would restart my computer and restored all settings to default and again froze or crashed forcing a restart. Tried updating bios using biosflash, computer booted up but after awhile it would crash or freeze again. Then reset my motherboard, computer booted up ran for about 50 mins then froze again. Now it won't even get to POST, all of the lights and fans run but nothing happens. What should I do now?
Tomorrow I plan on calling ASUS and trouble shooting with one of their techs and right now I am in the process of removing all components and making sure that everything is working properly, skeptical of this helping because the computer worked very well for awhile before this(never crashed for any reason). When I get back home I am going to run it with just motherboard, CPU, and one stick of RAM and see if I can get it to boot up.

So I was interested in getting some other suggestions on how to solve my problem or what could be causing all of these difficulties. I will update later tonight when I can work on the computer some more.

Computer Specs:
ASUS M4A78T-E mobo
AMD Phenom II 960 BE
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler
Sapphire Radeon 6870
Cosair Vengence 8gb (2X4gb) DDR3 1600mhz ( I believe the mobo has it underclocked at 1333mhz)
Cooler Master eXtreme power plus 500watt PowerSupply
Cooler Master Elite 430 midtower case

Thanks for any info you have
a c 157 V Motherboard
a c 90 K Overclocking
November 20, 2012 10:15:01 PM

I'm going to blame your PSU here. You have a very basic, entry level (and not even a good entry level) PSU and you're trying to make it perform like a high performance PSU. I don't think it's working adequately in that role.
If you have access to another (higher quality) PSU, you might try a swap to see if your issues go away with that - that's where my money would be.

Review of entry level PSU's - including yours - found here http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/02/16/entry_level_p...
Linked to conclusion page
m
l
November 21, 2012 7:24:50 PM

C12Friedman said:
I'm going to blame your PSU here. You have a very basic, entry level (and not even a good entry level) PSU and you're trying to make it perform like a high performance PSU. I don't think it's working a

dequately in that role.
If you have access to another (higher quality) PSU, you might try a swap to see if your issues go away with that - that's where my money would be.

Review of entry level PSU's - including yours - found here http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/02/16/entry_level_p...
Linked to conclusion page

Thanks for the input I will pick one up tonight and give it a shot. What brands would you suggest as a quality replacement?
m
l
Related resources
a c 157 V Motherboard
a c 90 K Overclocking
November 21, 2012 7:47:39 PM

Where are you shopping for the PSU - so I know what's available to you
m
l
November 22, 2012 1:35:04 AM

I picked up a Cosair TX650M tonight at fry's electronics and installed it and pushed power. It isn't the PSU that is causing problems I believe. All of the fans and LED lights for them start up. the CPU fan will start and then after half a second and then cuts off. Also the harddisk will try to start and then cuts off. Its either the motherboard of CPU now. Probably going to guess motherboard. Any suggestions?
m
l
November 22, 2012 1:49:27 AM

Since you can't easily check the mobo/cpu by swapping in good parts. Check the ram as that's a pretty easy thing to do. Use one stick and hope that's what caused it.

Though it does seem like the mobo/cpu might've took a dump when you overclocked.
m
l
November 22, 2012 3:38:46 AM

yea i'm going to try a new mobo tomorrow when I get the chance. I can' think of it being anything else other than that. Perhaps the CPU but that will be last resort.

I already tried running the computer with only one of stick of RAM but did not solve my problem.

Will update tomorrow.
m
l
November 26, 2012 5:20:08 PM

So I put in a new motherboard and my computer booted up perfectly so my old motherboard was the problem. Probably my power supply not running well under heavy load probably sorted something on it. After I get some money together I will be investing in a better power supply to permanently keep in my computer.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys.
m
l
!