Sign in with
Your question

HD5670 No Boot no POST

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
February 7, 2010 2:03:50 AM

I can get the system to boot with the card installed with the original bios. However, it's as if the card doesn't exist. If I update the bios to the most current version it will not boot at all. No post, no power light.

I have a little bit older system with a 1.0a PCIE slot. It's an ECS RS482-M with an athlon 64 3500+ and 2gb DDR 3200. I've always used the ATI radeon express 200 on board graphics. I wanted to bitstream audio through the HDMI with the HD5670 since this is an HTPC.

Is my ECS board just a POS and/or too old? Or does it sound more like my Sapphire HD5670 is DOA?

More about : hd5670 boot post

February 7, 2010 2:07:27 AM

how about your PSU?
m
l
Anonymous
February 7, 2010 5:12:22 AM

forgot to add that I replaced the PSU as well with an antec 650w
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2010 5:54:22 AM

Quote:
I can get the system to boot with the card installed with the original bios. However, it's as if the card doesn't exist. If I update the bios to the most current version it will not boot at all. No post, no power light.

I have a little bit older system with a 1.0a PCIE slot. It's an ECS RS482-M with an athlon 64 3500+ and 2gb DDR 3200. I've always used the ATI radeon express 200 on board graphics. I wanted to bitstream audio through the HDMI with the HD5670 since this is an HTPC.

Is my ECS board just a POS and/or too old? Or does it sound more like my Sapphire HD5670 is DOA?

I think you are not very clear in your expression of the problem. I do not understand if you updated something or not. Did you update the card's BIOS or not ? and, if you updated the BIOS, which card's BIOS ? Graphics card or motherboard ?

I assume you updated the BIOS of M/B. Right ?

If you tried to update the BIOS of the graphics card while your new card has not been identified properly, I cannot tell what you have updated as such.

Anyway, please check if you have seated the graphics card all the way down and connected its PCIe power cord.

Please also check if you have not dislocated something, such as a RAM stick, while fitting the graphics card.

Please check if you have disabled the onboard graphics chipset in BIOS of M/B.

Did you make all the connections of your new PSU to M/B and to other components of your PC ?

Please also check if you have changed any settings in BIOS that may hinder proper operation of your new graphics card, which has a new PCIe 2.0 x16 standard. To this effect, I suggest you change all settings to their default values in BIOS and see if this helps.

Hope the above helps.

Regards

m
l
Anonymous
February 7, 2010 6:42:28 AM

flashed Motherboard BIOS only

There is no PCI-E power connector on this 5670 card. Only the 57xx, 58xx, etc. series cards have one. All connectors are connected.

Here's a step by step: I removed the old ATI drivers for the on board video. Rebooted and went into BIOS. (There is no option to disable on board video, only an option to select which is initialized first: PCI, On Board, or PCIEx. It is supposed to automatically disable the on board video when a graphics card is installed.) Installed GFX Card and it didn't get recognized. I then tried the newest mobo BIOS. No boot when GFX card is installed. Tried one version earlier of bios. still no boot. replaced 420w 20pin PSU with antec 650w PSU w/24pin atx. No difference. Tried all three bios. Still only boots with original BIOS when GFX card installed, but doesn't recognize the card.

Nothing has been dislodged. I have inserted the card and removed it about a dozen times now. It is seated all the way with the latch engaged. Either I get no boot(new BIOS) or it doesn't recognize the card(original BIOS).

The card is getting power since the fan is spinning.

From what I understand PCIe 2.0 cards will operate in 1.x slots just without the enhanced bus speed. I see no reason for this card not to work.
m
l
February 7, 2010 7:31:23 AM

1. PCIe 2.0 card is backward compatible with PCIe 1.0.

2. PSU has no effect on bootup because power requirement is not high during bootup. It is important only when gaming and as such.

3. You did not say you have defaulted BIOS settings. If you cannot get into BIOS, you may reset BIOS with a jumper.

Hope the above helps.

Regards
m
l
Anonymous
February 7, 2010 8:45:42 AM

forgot to mention that I did use the CMOS reset jumper. as well as using reset to default in the bios menu. I think my motherboard has a problem or I have a DOA card. Maybe I can try the card in a friends computer to eliminate it as a suspect.
m
l
Anonymous
February 7, 2010 4:19:35 PM

It must be some sort of BIOS issue. I tried the card in another machine and it works perfectly. I connected the monitor to the card on the other machine and viola I see POST screen and it boots to windows.

so to sum up:
Original BIOS flash boots with card installed, but only on board video works.
Newest BIOS flash fails POST with card installed, boots fine without card installed
Slightly older BIOS flash fails POST with card installed, boots fine without card installed.

I am contacting ECS. We'll see what they have to say. Hopefully they don't leave me in the cold even though it's an older board.
m
l
March 19, 2010 9:53:42 PM

I had the same issue. Solution: change motherboard. Basically what you (and I) have is a crappy implementation of PCIe 1.0 which doesn't allow it to host a PCIe 2.0 card.
m
l
!