omega drivers stuffed up my pc

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 1, 2004 12:30:39 PM

did a fresh install of w2kpro +sp4 only a couple of days ago and everything
was going swimingly. trying the thief 3 demo i saw mention that the omega
45.23s helped this game play well and gave them a go but they didnt help so
i uninstalled them.
now on booting up the "meter bar " fills up and i get a 10 second pause then
a brief blue screen and the pc reboots.
it just loops like that endlessly. ive tried booting in safe mode and vga
mode and no joy.
if anyone has experienced this and knows any fix i'd appreciate it -
otherwise this a warning to anyone thinking of using omega's. i run a clean
and tidy pc - the kind that stays on for days at a time with no slowdown and
no lockups and now ive got to format and reinstall because of these friggin
drivers.

More about : omega drivers stuffed

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 1:49:55 PM

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
news:p 8Xuc.1032$mv6.9475135@news-text.cableinet.net...
> did a fresh install of w2kpro +sp4 only a couple of days ago and
everything
> was going swimingly. trying the thief 3 demo i saw mention that the omega
> 45.23s helped this game play well and gave them a go but they didnt help
so
> i uninstalled them.
> now on booting up the "meter bar " fills up and i get a 10 second pause
then
> a brief blue screen and the pc reboots.
> it just loops like that endlessly. ive tried booting in safe mode and vga
> mode and no joy.
> if anyone has experienced this and knows any fix i'd appreciate it -
> otherwise this a warning to anyone thinking of using omega's. i run a
clean
> and tidy pc - the kind that stays on for days at a time with no slowdown
and
> no lockups and now ive got to format and reinstall because of these
friggin
> drivers.

Can't you do a registory restore or something? What about using a boot disk
to scan in dos mode? I'd ask on the Windows NGs if I were you, not to
mention the 24hour support group. You could also do a deja search on the
subject you need help with because someone's bound to have an answer
somewhere.
June 1, 2004 1:49:56 PM

I cant get into windows (safe mode or otherwise on that drive). I have
installed windows on the d drive which is what Im using now so I can look at
the c drive in explorer. Years ago with win98 I could rename registry files
in windows to revert to earlier settings but with 2000 I dont know how to do
that. Can you help. I can always do the format and reinstall but that hours
of work Ive recently done and would like not to repeat!

"David Sadtwat" <david@david.david> wrote in message

> "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> news:p 8Xuc.1032$mv6.9475135@news-text.cableinet.net...
> > did a fresh install of w2kpro +sp4 only a couple of days ago and
> everything
> > was going swimingly. trying the thief 3 demo i saw mention that the
omega
> > 45.23s helped this game play well and gave them a go but they didnt help
> so
> > i uninstalled them.
> > now on booting up the "meter bar " fills up and i get a 10 second pause
> then
> > a brief blue screen and the pc reboots.
> > it just loops like that endlessly. ive tried booting in safe mode and
vga
> > mode and no joy.
> > if anyone has experienced this and knows any fix i'd appreciate it -
> > otherwise this a warning to anyone thinking of using omega's. i run a
> clean
> > and tidy pc - the kind that stays on for days at a time with no slowdown
> and
> > no lockups and now ive got to format and reinstall because of these
> friggin
> > drivers.
>
> Can't you do a registory restore or something? What about using a boot
disk
> to scan in dos mode? I'd ask on the Windows NGs if I were you, not to
> mention the 24hour support group. You could also do a deja search on the
> subject you need help with because someone's bound to have an answer
> somewhere.

June 1, 2004 1:49:57 PM

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 09:26:54 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>I cant get into windows (safe mode or otherwise on that drive). I have
>installed windows on the d drive which is what Im using now so I can look at
>the c drive in explorer. Years ago with win98 I could rename registry files
>in windows to revert to earlier settings but with 2000 I dont know how to do
>that. Can you help. I can always do the format and reinstall but that hours
>of work Ive recently done and would like not to repeat!

If you use regedit32 you should be able to browse to
c:\winnt\system32\config and load the registry from the screwed up
installation. Then drill down to
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Display. Delete any keys or values
found there. Close regedit32. Use explorer to browse the c:\winnt\inf
folder (it's hidden) and find the inf files that the omega driver
installed. You can probably go by the file creation or access dates to
find it.

Then when you reboot into the C install, W2K will be forced to search the
inf folder for a matching display info file and should find whatever was
there previously. Then you can reload the latest WHQL drivers.

I think that should work but I don't have W2K still install on any of my
machines so you may need to fill in any steps I've left out.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
news:p 8Xuc.1032$mv6.9475135@news-text.cableinet.net...

> now on booting up the "meter bar " fills up and i get a 10 second pause
then
> a brief blue screen and the pc reboots.

boot into safe mode and open System" in control panel. Go to "Advanced -
Startup and recovery" clear the check box on "Automatically restart". This
way you at least get to see which driver/device is causing the error.

Part from that, using System restore as mentioned by David Sadtwat is a
possible solution.
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 3:11:07 PM

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:11:06 +0200, "McEve" <mceve@azcappy.com> wrote:

>"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
>news:p 8Xuc.1032$mv6.9475135@news-text.cableinet.net...
>
>> now on booting up the "meter bar " fills up and i get a 10 second pause
>then
>> a brief blue screen and the pc reboots.
>
>boot into safe mode and open System" in control panel. Go to "Advanced -
>Startup and recovery" clear the check box on "Automatically restart". This
>way you at least get to see which driver/device is causing the error.
>
>Part from that, using System restore as mentioned by David Sadtwat is a
>possible solution.

Windows 2000 doesn't include System Restore. The best thing it has (which
XP also has) is called Last Known Good Configuration which you can choose
on the same menu where you choose Safe Mode by using F8 while booting.
I'd try LKGC before anything else.

As you said, he should disable the automatic rebooting so he can read the
BSOD error message and later research it specifically in the MS KB or
Google.

He says he has "no joy" when booting into Safe Mode but I'm not sure what
that means. Does it mean the system is rebooting when he tries to log
into Safe Mode?
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 7:09:11 PM

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Windows 2000 doesn't include System Restore. The best thing it has (which
> XP also has) is called Last Known Good Configuration which you can choose
> on the same menu where you choose Safe Mode by using F8 while booting.
> I'd try LKGC before anything else.

ah, my mistake, I didn't catch that he had Windows2000, as I should have
since it does make a big difference.

AFAIK Last Good know config is only saved from last time you succesfully
logged on, (therefor only useful if the OS fails before the logon screen or
successful log on) so if you get Windows to load that's what is the last
good known config. The configuration he had before removing the drivers
would be unavailable through this option if this is the case
June 1, 2004 7:09:12 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions but I had to do the reinstall. Safe Mode -
Last Known good config etc .. wouldnt work as Windows just wouldnt boot.
Funny thing is when I had Win98 I could bootup thru the boot disk to DOD
mode - rename a couple of files and it would be sorted.
Now I want to get rid of the boot option screen (and the Windows install on
my D drive).

"McEve" <mceve@azcappy.com> wrote in message

> "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Windows 2000 doesn't include System Restore. The best thing it has
(which
> > XP also has) is called Last Known Good Configuration which you can
choose
> > on the same menu where you choose Safe Mode by using F8 while booting.
> > I'd try LKGC before anything else.
>
> ah, my mistake, I didn't catch that he had Windows2000, as I should have
> since it does make a big difference.
>
> AFAIK Last Good know config is only saved from last time you succesfully
> logged on, (therefor only useful if the OS fails before the logon screen
or
> successful log on) so if you get Windows to load that's what is the last
> good known config. The configuration he had before removing the drivers
> would be unavailable through this option if this is the case

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 8:41:23 PM

Sleepy wrote:

> the c drive in explorer. Years ago with win98 I could rename registry files
> in windows to revert to earlier settings but with 2000 I dont know how to do
> that. Can you help.

Try the MS knowledgebase. I've used KB 307545 on XP -- I'm sure
there's a similar one for 2k.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
Anonymous

> Thanks for all your suggestions but I had to do the reinstall. Safe Mode -
> Last Known good config etc .. wouldnt work as Windows just wouldnt boot.
> Funny thing is when I had Win98 I could bootup thru the boot disk to DOD
> mode - rename a couple of files and it would be sorted.
> Now I want to get rid of the boot option screen (and the Windows install
on
> my D drive).

You can disable the startup menu in "System - Advanced -
Startup and recovery"

You will get rid of most of the Win98 installation by deleting the Windows
directory, but there are also some boot files residing on root. It will be
hard to get rid of everything if you do not know what the files are for, but
a search on Google might give you a recipe on exactly what files you can
delete. It won't make any difference for Win2000 if they are left there
though, and they are not very large, so disk space should not be an issue
either.

There will also be quite a few files under "program files" that will belong
to 98, so it might be hard to tell the difference between what belongs to
win98 and win2000, especially if you installed on the same partition...

If disk space is not an issue, then disable the start up menu and delete the
Windows directory, and leave it at that...

You might find some better information here:
http://www.google.com/custom?cof=T%3A000000%3BLW%3A257%...
!