Unable to edit security on folders in Windows XP Professio..

I am running Windows XP Professional and would like to edit some
security rights on some folder, using the file-explorer. On my good
old Windows 2000 Pro, there was a great dialog to edit datailed
security info. But when I'm selecting properties on a folder in the
Windows XP Pro, I cant find any Security-tabs.
- I am using a NTFS file system
- I have tried logging in as Admin-user - still without any security
tabs
- I have Administration rights on my personal user account.

Is there maybee some value-key in registry I can check/set, to be
enabled to edit security-rights on folders ?

Thanks
Jorgen

J?rgen Jensen wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Professional and would like to edit some
> security rights on some folder, using the file-explorer. On my good
> old Windows 2000 Pro, there was a great dialog to edit datailed
> security info. But when I'm selecting properties on a folder in the
> Windows XP Pro, I cant find any Security-tabs.
> - I am using a NTFS file system
> - I have tried logging in as Admin-user - still without any security
> tabs
> - I have Administration rights on my personal user account.
>
> Is there maybee some value-key in registry I can check/set, to be
> enabled to edit security-rights on folders ?
>
> Thanks
> Jorgen

Have you disabled Simplified File Sharing?

HOW TO Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder
In WinXP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307874

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders
;Q308419]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

"Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message news:<udmhu3HwEHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> J?rgen Jensen wrote:
> > I am running Windows XP Professional and would like to edit some
> > security rights on some folder, using the file-explorer. On my good
> > old Windows 2000 Pro, there was a great dialog to edit datailed
> > security info. But when I'm selecting properties on a folder in the
> > Windows XP Pro, I cant find any Security-tabs.
> > - I am using a NTFS file system
> > - I have tried logging in as Admin-user - still without any security
> > tabs
> > - I have Administration rights on my personal user account.
> >
> > Is there maybee some value-key in registry I can check/set, to be
> > enabled to edit security-rights on folders ?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Jorgen
>

> Have you disabled Simplified File Sharing?
>
> HOW TO Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder
> In WinXP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307874
>
> HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418
>
> HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
> Folders
> ;Q308419]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having
> both at once. - RAH

Hi Bruce,
Thank for your links. But the discriptions by Microsoft did
unfortunately not help me. But I found the soloutins in some other way
:
I got the the key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
and sat the value : forceguest = 0

- then I can modify every security I want.

Thanks
Jorgen

Hi Jensen,

FYI, turning Off Simple File sharing as per Q307874 alters the same registry value you describe.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User