Unable to edit security on folders in Windows XP Professio..

I am running Windows XP Professional and would like to edit some
security rights on some folder, using the file-explorer. On my good
old Windows 2000 Pro, there was a great dialog to edit datailed
security info. But when I'm selecting properties on a folder in the
Windows XP Pro, I cant find any Security-tabs.
- I am using a NTFS file system
- I have tried logging in as Admin-user - still without any security
tabs
- I have Administration rights on my personal user account.

Is there maybee some value-key in registry I can check/set, to be
enabled to edit security-rights on folders ?

Thanks
Jorgen
3 answers Last reply
More about unable edit security folders windows professio

    J?rgen Jensen wrote:
    > I am running Windows XP Professional and would like to edit some
    > security rights on some folder, using the file-explorer. On my good
    > old Windows 2000 Pro, there was a great dialog to edit datailed
    > security info. But when I'm selecting properties on a folder in the
    > Windows XP Pro, I cant find any Security-tabs.
    > - I am using a NTFS file system
    > - I have tried logging in as Admin-user - still without any security
    > tabs
    > - I have Administration rights on my personal user account.
    >
    > Is there maybee some value-key in registry I can check/set, to be
    > enabled to edit security-rights on folders ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jorgen

    Have you disabled Simplified File Sharing?

    HOW TO Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder
    In WinXP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307874

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message news:<udmhu3HwEHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > J?rgen Jensen wrote:
    > > I am running Windows XP Professional and would like to edit some
    > > security rights on some folder, using the file-explorer. On my good
    > > old Windows 2000 Pro, there was a great dialog to edit datailed
    > > security info. But when I'm selecting properties on a folder in the
    > > Windows XP Pro, I cant find any Security-tabs.
    > > - I am using a NTFS file system
    > > - I have tried logging in as Admin-user - still without any security
    > > tabs
    > > - I have Administration rights on my personal user account.
    > >
    > > Is there maybee some value-key in registry I can check/set, to be
    > > enabled to edit security-rights on folders ?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Jorgen
    >

    > Have you disabled Simplified File Sharing?
    >
    > HOW TO Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder
    > In WinXP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307874
    >
    > HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418
    >
    > HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    > Folders
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having
    > both at once. - RAH

    Hi Bruce,
    Thank for your links. But the discriptions by Microsoft did
    unfortunately not help me. But I found the soloutins in some other way
    :
    I got the the key :
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    and sat the value : forceguest = 0

    - then I can modify every security I want.

    Thanks
    Jorgen

    Hi Jensen,

    FYI, turning Off Simple File sharing as per Q307874 alters the same registry value you describe.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

Configuration Security Windows XP