I may have a HSF issue...need input

tac339

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Hello!
Just last night I finished my first build ever!

But I have a question on heat issues. I installed the CM Hyper 212+ (with AS5) onto a core i5 750 using an Asus P7P55D-E Pro mobo. Followed the AS5 instructions to the "T" (filling the gaps between the copper heat pipes and the aluminum block, then 'scraped it clean', applied a vertical line of paste on the cpu then let the retention bracket spread the paste on the CPU itself. Now when I did this there was a very small amount of paste that oozed out the side of the processor. It's not touching the back of the chip at all, but this was alarming for some reason. I wasn't happy with the initial application, so I took the HSF off and cleaned both the HSF and the processor, and started over. This time with the exact same results.

So I moved on.
After I got the bios to recognize all hardware / ram etc, I installed Windows 7 64 bit. The instant I updated Windows I ran the Dirt2 demo just to see what my GPU could do (radeon HD 5870). So after about 45 minutes of messing around on that game I went back into my bios to check temps. It stated 37C.

At this point I put my hand on the HSF to check heat. Not even warm. Nothing. The aluminum fins were as cool as the air running thru them. The copper heat pipes weren't even warm to the touch. Is this cause for alarm? or is the cooler just that good? I have it in the HAF 922 (200mm intake fan in front, 200mm exhaust fan on top, and a 120mm exhaust fan directly behind the Cooler.

I have not yet run the Asus mobo disc that came with the mobo. I had a friend help out with the install and he said everything seemed to auto-detect and seemed everything was running fine.

I have not yet ran any test software (CPUZ, Realtemp, Prime95, 3DMark Vantage, etc)

Any thoughts? Input? I'm really not feeling good about this HSF. Seems like it should be getting really hot!

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Sounds to me like you've done everything properly and you're reaping the benefits. The 212 is a nice HSF and I don't see where 37c would make it sweat in the least. Run all the Prime 95's you need to, (I prefer OCCT), and monitor temps w/ real temp. See what you get for temps after 100% load for an hour.

tac339

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Hmm.. I would only hope this is true. It just doesn't "feel" right I suppose. I'm so used to heat sinks being able to fry eggs!

This could be due to the fact that it's my first build. It's just that installing that cooler was so counter-intuitive that I was wondering if my execution was adequate. I don't know tho - those copper heat pipes weren't even warm.

I have to bear the agony of getting thru this work day before I can even test it. I'll be running Prime95 this eveing - I may post with some results. Just wanted to post to see if anyone had any thoughts before I test further.

Sorry, I'm such a newbie!

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
The only thing I would double check is that the pins are pushed in place firmly. Other than that all you can do is verify proper operation through testing. Definitely give us a followup.

tac339

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Definitely made sure all contact points were secure. On everything.
I'm a component manufacturer for a cabinet company, so detail orientation is second nature for me, and my paycheck relies on it ;) . But I'm relatively new to this genre.

Anyway I'm running Prime95 now (clicked on 'Test' then 'PrimeNet' then let it do it's thing, hopefully I've set it up properly lol! I'm Monitoring with CPUID Hardware Monitor. It's been running for almost 30 minutes now, and max temp I've seen is 45 C on Core #0. Up from 30 C on all cores. CPU VCore has remained at 1.09V this entire time. Task manager shows CPU usage at 100%.

This seems too good to be true. Either that or I don't yet fully comprehend what I'm looking at, which could be entirely possible. Or I just haven't 'given it hell' yet..

As a side note I'm searching for core orientation on the chip itself. Just so that I can have the visual of each core and understand which core is a couple of degrees off of the other. If anyone has a link to that hit me up!