• Video
  • HDMI
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2010 4:04:20 AM

Question about HDMI on the Radeon 5770;

Does the HDMI port on the 5770 output sound or just video?

Wanting a card to hook up to my new TV & wondering if I need to buy a fancy sound card too or if there's any video cards/chipsets out there that can do audio & video through the 1 plug. (I hate cables!)

Also which of the Radeon 5770 cards are the best? I was looking at the "SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT)" at newegg for $169.99 That a good deal?

I've been out of the loop and away from computers for the last 2 years so thanks in advance for your help!

More about : 5770

a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2010 4:28:45 AM

Ive allways gone with Sapphire cards, they have been good to me. Also maybe those XFX ones, alittle more expensive but their warranty service is seccond to none + Double lifetime warranty means a higher re-sell value if you plan on selling this card in the future.

My 5870 outputs sound to my Sony tv when I used an HDMI cable to it. Dont see why a 5770 could not. No fancy sound card needed.
m
l
February 7, 2010 3:36:59 PM

5770 HDMI does carry sound, used it before
XFX in my opinion is the best choice
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2010 7:34:48 PM

Sapphire is decent enough, I have several of their cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2010 7:42:15 PM

I've got the Sapphire v2 ( Linkie ) instead of the box cooler and it works very well as far as the HDMI on it it supports Audio\video and Stereo and multi-channel audio formats ( up to 7.1 )
m
l
February 8, 2010 1:02:39 AM

Ok great info guys, tyvm. Glad to know they will handle the sound as well.
Now thanks to your input I've narrowed which card to get down to a few XFX & Sapphire cards but these all look about the same except for about a $40 price range.
Which of these is the best to go with? Just getting a single card for now and crossfire in another month when I've got more $. I'd like the ability to over-clock too if possible.
m
l
February 8, 2010 1:05:39 AM

JDFan said:
I've got the Sapphire v2 ( Linkie ) instead of the box cooler and it works very well as far as the HDMI on it it supports Audio\video and Stereo and multi-channel audio formats ( up to 7.1 )

Have you tried overclocking it? Wondering if these cards can handle it and what kind of performance jump you get.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2010 1:47:47 AM

Datasinc said:
Have you tried overclocking it? Wondering if these cards can handle it and what kind of performance jump you get.

Nope - haven't tried it yet - still waiting for the Heatsink\fan for the CPU (it shipped too late in the day to get here Friday so it will be here monday instead !) so haven't really been trying much OCing on the system yet - Though I do have the 4th core unlocked and a small OC (200MHZ.) running stable on my X3 720 (now shows as a X4 20)

As far as the differences - the boxed design is the first spec design that all manufacturers had when the cards first released (pros. - most air is blown out the back of the system - cons slightly higher GPU temp due to enclosed space and cut down airflow) - the version I have with the egg shaped cover - (pros slightly better GPU cooling due to the heatpipes and more open airflow Cons - Slightly warmer case temp due to some of the air being released into the case (most still goes out the back but some does go into the case) - so if you have a small case with limited airflow the box design is probably the best to get - if your case has good airflow then the version I have is better. -- THough Sapphire did release the new VAPOR-X version that has even better cooling since it uses the vapor chamber that reduces the temp several more degrees C which I would have gotten if it was available when I purchased.
February 8, 2010 2:14:33 AM

JDFan said:
Nope - haven't tried it yet - still waiting for the Heatsink\fan for the CPU (it shipped too late in the day to get here Friday so it will be here monday instead !) so haven't really been trying much OCing on the system yet - Though I do have the 4th core unlocked and a small OC (200MHZ.) running stable on my X3 720 (now shows as a X4 20)

As far as the differences - the boxed design is the first spec design that all manufacturers had when the cards first released (pros. - most air is blown out the back of the system - cons slightly higher GPU temp due to enclosed space and cut down airflow) - the version I have with the egg shaped cover - (pros slightly better GPU cooling due to the heatpipes and more open airflow Cons - Slightly warmer case temp due to some of the air being released into the case (most still goes out the back but some does go into the case) - so if you have a small case with limited airflow the box design is probably the best to get - if your case has good airflow then the version I have is better. -- THough Sapphire did release the new VAPOR-X version that has even better cooling since it uses the vapor chamber that reduces the temp several more degrees C which I would have gotten if it was available when I purchased.

Ahh, that explains the boxes!

Oh hey, one thing I do know is thermal paste. This stuff from Japan that's only $3 (it's renamed and sold for more on Newegg) out performs all the rest. Some of that $20 stuff ranked the worst here where they tested 80 diffrent kinds
m
l
February 18, 2010 4:07:00 AM

Best answer selected by Datasinc.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 5:24:56 PM

I have both a XFX and Sapphire 5770 Crossfired, completely happy with both, though the XFX one came with a free game and a double lifetime warranty.
m
l
!