Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Fried the Cpu?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 23, 2010 8:39:42 PM

So I messed up my build. Here is what it was
Core i7-920
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R mobo
6Gb Gskill Ram 1600
XFX Radeon HD 5770

I had a gigabyte x58a-ud3r until about 40 minutes ago when I think I accidentally fried the mobo. It doesn't boot (or post for that matter), and doesn't beep when I try booting it without any memory (supposed to give you an error code in beeps). It is still under the manufacturer's warranty (3 years parts n labor), do you think I can get a new mobo for free?
Heres some more details

I bought a wifi card from newegg for a great deal, and tried it on my desktop. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). I was only getting about 4mb download speed, so I decided to try it in a different port. When I bought it, I thought it was PCIE 2.0, so I tried to fit it in one of my pcie slots. I couldn't get it to fit. Upon consulting the box I realized it was PCI 2.2. So I put it back in the right slot and turned on my computer.

I didn't realize it, but I forgot to turn off the power to the PSU, so i'm not sure if that means anything.

Anyway, after replacing the wifi card, my computer started emitting a long continuous beep via the pc speaker. I turned it off, pulled out the wifi card, and turned it back on. It still beeped, so I turned it off again. The third time I turned it on it didn't reach the post.

So far as I can tell, there are no scorch marks, and I didn't see or hear anything spark while i was installing the card. That being said, there isn't really anything to take a picture of.



Is there any way to determine if it's the processor or if it's the mobo? When it powers on now the fans are all set to maximum and the drive light is on, however it never does anything and I have to hold the power button down to shut it off.

Also, can someone explain to me how RMA's work? Can I get a new board/cpu from gigabyte/intel for free?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

More about : fried cpu

April 23, 2010 9:08:07 PM

also I forgot to mention I've tried clearing the Cmos. This isn't a new build, I built it back in february and it's been working almost flawlessly since then.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 141 à CPUs
April 23, 2010 9:48:17 PM

I would guess its the motherboard. Most motherboards nowerdays have seperate voltages circuitry for the processor so it should not have been damaged with the possible shorting out of the PCIe bus.

With RMA's you call or visit the company's website for technical support. They will need to troubleshoot and probably repeat everything you did and once they determione the board is bad they will issue you and RMA number. You will package and ship just your motherboard to them. Do not include anything else unless they request it. The RMA# MUST BE WRITTEN ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE PACKAGE or it will be refused when it gets there. I write it on 3 sides because I'm anal like that. LoL. Once they get it expect a few weeks before you get one back.

When you are on with tech support and they say to RMA it in, ask about cross-shipping. Cross-shipping is where they charge you for a replacement board and ship one out right away and when they receive the one you are to ship them they will reverse the charge on your credit card. This saves you a week or so of waiting for your replacement.

I hope this helped.
Tim
Share
Related resources
a c 99 à CPUs
April 23, 2010 9:48:50 PM

MacGrubR said:
So I messed up my build. Here is what it was
Core i7-920
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R mobo
6Gb Gskill Ram 1600
XFX Radeon HD 5770

I had a gigabyte x58a-ud3r until about 40 minutes ago when I think I accidentally fried the mobo. It doesn't boot (or post for that matter), and doesn't beep when I try booting it without any memory (supposed to give you an error code in beeps). It is still under the manufacturer's warranty (3 years parts n labor), do you think I can get a new mobo for free?
Heres some more details

I bought a wifi card from newegg for a great deal, and tried it on my desktop. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). I was only getting about 4mb download speed, so I decided to try it in a different port. When I bought it, I thought it was PCIE 2.0, so I tried to fit it in one of my pcie slots. I couldn't get it to fit. Upon consulting the box I realized it was PCI 2.2. So I put it back in the right slot and turned on my computer.

I didn't realize it, but I forgot to turn off the power to the PSU, so i'm not sure if that means anything.

Anyway, after replacing the wifi card, my computer started emitting a long continuous beep via the pc speaker. I turned it off, pulled out the wifi card, and turned it back on. It still beeped, so I turned it off again. The third time I turned it on it didn't reach the post.

So far as I can tell, there are no scorch marks, and I didn't see or hear anything spark while i was installing the card. That being said, there isn't really anything to take a picture of.



Is there any way to determine if it's the processor or if it's the mobo? When it powers on now the fans are all set to maximum and the drive light is on, however it never does anything and I have to hold the power button down to shut it off.

Also, can someone explain to me how RMA's work? Can I get a new board/cpu from gigabyte/intel for free?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!


It sounds like you fried the motherboard. You installed a PCI card in a PCI Express slot and probably shorted out something on the motherboard in the process. The only way to be sure is to find yourself another LGA1366 board and test your CPU in that board.

Don't RMA the board if you find out it is broken. It worked properly until you installed an incorrect component into the board, so it wasn't the manufacturer's fault the board is dead. Yes, you could probably get away with RMAing the board and getting a new one that works. The manufacturer takes the cost of providing you a new board and passes it on to the rest of us, so own up and buy yourself a new board.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 10:09:38 PM

MU_Engineer said:


Don't RMA the board if you find out it is broken. It worked properly until you installed an incorrect component into the board, so it wasn't the manufacturer's fault the board is dead. Yes, you could probably get away with RMAing the board and getting a new one that works. The manufacturer takes the cost of providing you a new board and passes it on to the rest of us, so own up and buy yourself a new board.


What a retard! Your momma must have done some serious drugs when she was pregnant with you!
RMA the board, MacGrubR: pay no attention to Dudley Do-right...

Arf! Arf! Arf!
m
0
l
April 23, 2010 10:23:50 PM

try unplugging your power supply and popping out the motherboard battery. there should be some overcurrent protection on the pci-e slots, and that protection might be sealed in until voltage is completely removed from the board. it might not work, but it's worth a shot.
m
0
l
April 23, 2010 10:26:30 PM

Thanks for the replys!
sepayne21, I have tried popping the battery out for about half an hour, but I have not unplugged the psu. I will give that a shot and wait about an hour before I give up on that.
m
0
l
April 23, 2010 10:28:04 PM

also, since I shorted the pcie bus, how how likely is it that I damaged my video card?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 10:42:37 PM

+1 for triumph

If you can RMA it, go for it. Just don't make it a regular thing :D .
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 10:43:34 PM

As for the video card, the only way to know is to try it out in another computer.
m
0
l
April 23, 2010 10:51:35 PM

Thanks megamanx00, I'm going to let my friend borrow it for a little while and crossfire it with his (he has the same card, it's just a different through sapphire and not xfx like mine).
m
0
l
April 23, 2010 11:14:11 PM

Best answer selected by MacGrubR.
m
0
l
a c 99 à CPUs
April 23, 2010 11:59:26 PM

Quote:
What a retard! Your momma must have done some serious drugs when she was pregnant with you!

RMA the board, MacGrubR: pay no attention to Dudley Do-right...

Arf! Arf! Arf!


You think my mother must have done drugs because I don't condone fraud?! I see you have the moral compass of Bernie Madoff.
m
0
l
!