Sign in with
Your question

Will i encounter problems using my old HDD enclosure with my new SSD?

Last response: in Storage
February 22, 2012 6:57:49 PM

I couldnt find the plastic SSD holder that was included with my case. I figured i could just use the enclosure for my old WD velociraptor. Its a busted 2.5" drive i use to use the model is WD3000GLFS i believe. Its just a basic heat sink enclosure that fits perfectly with my samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC512D/AM 2.5" 512gb SSD, using 4 screws on the bottom.

I left on what looks like 2 stickers that might be for transferring heat from the old drive to the heat sink enclosure, do u guys think i should leave those on to help transfer heat or not?

Mainly im wondering if it is safe to use my mentioned SSD with this enclosure. Will i run into any problems down the road? Will i benefit from using this at all?

The enclosure looks identical to the enclosure on the 2.5" velociraptor in the following link.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/14583
February 22, 2012 7:08:59 PM

You can use your SSD with the original HDD enclosure. You can remove any heat transfer stickers as the SSD will generate almost no heat.

Enjoy!
February 23, 2012 5:27:21 AM

I dont have the original SSD enclosure but if the SSD doesnt generate heat then i shouldnt worry about the heat sink enclosure for the old velociraptor causing any problems. Thanks for the info.

Can anyone else confirm that i should be fine? Just wanna be 100% sure that this enclosure is perfectly fine to use.
Related resources
March 1, 2012 9:01:07 PM

themadhatta said:
I dont have the original SSD enclosure but if the SSD doesnt generate heat then i shouldnt worry about the heat sink enclosure for the old velociraptor causing any problems. Thanks for the info.

Can anyone else confirm that i should be fine? Just wanna be 100% sure that this enclosure is perfectly fine to use.

I have done the same with a Kingston 128GB SSD. Swapped out the old WD and put in the new Kingston SSD, I even used the SATA Bridge that connected to the WD on the SSD. Temps around 25c. Just be sure not to apply too much pressure to the SSD when tightening it down as there is a slight variance between the height of the connectors on the SSD and the height of the connector on the SATA bridge.
March 2, 2012 3:35:16 AM

thanks for the warning and info, its perfectly fine im not using any kind of slider hard drive adapter thing, forget what they are called, just in my regular hard drive bays so everything fits perfectly
March 14, 2012 3:13:14 AM

Nice i really like that, but ever since my laptop with a raid 0 config got screwed id rather stay away from using a raid setup, specially since i got my samsung 500 gig 830 series SSD. I found the original plastic mount that i wanna reinstall it with. Are there any benefits from using another SSD in a non raid setup?
!