Hi,

I just built a new computer. The components in the rig are:

Mobo: ASUS P7P55d-e Pro
CPU: i5 750
GPU: msi N460GTX Hawk
PSU: Corsair 650HX
RAM: Lexar DDR3 (2GB) 1333MHz --- one stick
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B

I am getting a black screen when I boot up - nothing ever shows up on the monitor. The system is on, fans running. Couple of things of note. On the motherboard, I see a red light labeled DRAM LED. There is a feature on the Mobo called MemOK! which is supposed to sync up your RAM if it doesn't automatically work. I hit this and let it go through the process, but it couldn't seem to fix this problem.

I have G.Skill Trident Series 4GB 2000MHz RAM on order which should be arriving in a few days. The Lexar RAM was installed just as a temporary fix to get everything up and running. I'm not sure if the RAM is the reason why I'm getting a Black Screen, but I thought RAM issues typically gave the Blue Screen of Death... maybe that's not true.

The other thing I see is on the video card, there are two smaller led's lit up that are red - I believe they are labeled LED1 and LED2.

What do you think is the problem? If you have any suggestions that would be really appreciated.

Let me know if you need more information for me to provide.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dewgie-7

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
I should also mention that I've tried moving the RAM to another slot... btw, I assume it is both of the blue DIMM slots that are the main ones you use.

Also, I've reinstalled the RAM and the GPU several times, with no change in the boot up.

cmysta

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
You may have a dead motherboard. Do you have a system speaker? These are fairly cheap and can give you an error code which can further diagnose your problem. I have been trying to build a computer for a couple months now and have seen the same issue as you: Fans spinning, LEDs lighting, but no bios/post. My first motherboard was called dead by the company, and the second one will be on its way back soon, although the tech is trying to convince me I have bad ram (which could conceivably be your issue, again, system speaker would help lots here).

Dewgie-7

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
I just bought new RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB 1600MHz RAM.

Doesn't seem to have made a difference. Same issue.

Where do I get a 'system speaker'? What exactly is that?

If I do want to take it back, can I return the mobo to the seller (NCIX in Canada in this case)... or does it need to be sent back to Asus for a diagnositc?

Thanks for the help. As I said, its my first time building a computer, so I don't know very much. Even my friends who have built computers before aren't sure.

Are there other alternatives by the way? Reseating the CPU perhaps?

cmysta

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Here's a bunch of results I got off of google for motherboard speakers:
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&expIds=17259,17291,17311,22881,25532,25752,25854,25907,26209,26218,26340,26751,52729&sugexp=ldymls&tok=xaljJ15QLInOh9WFAyzweQ&xhr=t&q=motherboard+speaker&cp=14&client=firefox-a&hs=3VJ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=oeegTPTGKYWglAeiu-i9Dg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CC8QrQQwAA
They're pretty cheap but very useful.

In regards to returning the motherboard the company should have some form of RMA policy. They will take it back and test it (or potentially send it to Asus to test) and then if it turns out its not dead ship it back or send you a replacement. Each company has a different RMA policy but if it is DOA they should definitely replace it, and if they give you a hard time, Asus itself should replace it for you, but it will likely be quicker to go through the supplier.

Dewgie-7

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
The P7P55D-E Pro Asus mobo user guide says it has an on-board sound system in BIOS that is supposed to beep while running POST if there is a particular issue (different beeps for different problems). I'm not hearing anything though.

I guess I just have a faulty mobo.