Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD for desktop, to be eventually be moved into laptop

Last response: in Storage
February 22, 2012 8:35:42 PM

Greetings,

I have decided that I want to upgrade to a SSD in the near future! However, my current mobo is a nForce 790i Ultra SLI, which, as far as I know, only supports Sata II 3Gb/s. I have also heard that the mobo itself has problems with Trim commands and other important SSD processes, unless a firmware update has fixed that.

I will be getting a laptop this coming year near August for college. I plan on moving the SSD into it if I buy it now.

So my question is, is it worth it to buy the SSD now and make due with my current system before I upgrade to a laptop, or wait for the price to drop and new optimizations for the new Intel processors slated to come out soon?

And if I was to buy it now, I would be looking in the range of a high end 120-240 GB SSD. Do you guys have suggestions on a preferably light SSD that I could move into the laptop. I am currently looking at the Corsair GT and the Kingston Hyperx (though that one looks a bit heavy). The 120 GB are better priced right now than the 240 GB, but I get the feeling I will kick myself later for not spending the extra cash on the higher capacity. I am open to suggestions.

NOTE: Right now, unless something strange happens with the market from now to August, I am looking at a mid-high end MSI laptop. I would just upgrade one of the HDDs to a 750 GB and just replace the other one with the SSD.

Thanks for your help guys.

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a c 119 G Storage
February 22, 2012 8:56:08 PM

Acouple of things with your post. It is a bit confusing as to what you are doing , you are saying you want to put a SSD in your desktop now and then move it to a laptop later but what becomes of the desktop. Also waiting for the price to drop and new optimizations for the new Intel cpu's ?
Anyway if you are definetly getting a laptop in August for school then that should be your focus and you should make do with your desktop for now especially if you are limited on funds.
The laptop you are looking at has two hard drives? That's what I got from your last sentence and if that is the case then you would only need a 120gb SSD because you plan to also have a 750gb hdd as well and the OS can go on the SSD and the other hdd is for storage.
Not sure what you mean by heavy and light with the SSD's , all of the SSD's that I have seen are pretty much the same. SSD's were originaly made for laptops and because they are so fast they were quickly adopted to the desktop and most SSD's come with an adaptor to go ffrom 2.5 to 3.5 formfactor.
a b D Laptop
a c 115 G Storage
February 22, 2012 9:18:14 PM

To my mind, since I have to reinstall Windows and all my programs and stuff to make the switch, that alone would make me buy a new SSD for the laptop.
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2012 10:13:19 PM

inzone said:
Acouple of things with your post. It is a bit confusing as to what you are doing , you are saying you want to put a SSD in your desktop now and then move it to a laptop later but what becomes of the desktop. Also waiting for the price to drop and new optimizations for the new Intel cpu's ?
Anyway if you are definetly getting a laptop in August for school then that should be your focus and you should make do with your desktop for now especially if you are limited on funds.
The laptop you are looking at has two hard drives? That's what I got from your last sentence and if that is the case then you would only need a 120gb SSD because you plan to also have a 750gb hdd as well and the OS can go on the SSD and the other hdd is for storage.
Not sure what you mean by heavy and light with the SSD's , all of the SSD's that I have seen are pretty much the same. SSD's were originaly made for laptops and because they are so fast they were quickly adopted to the desktop and most SSD's come with an adaptor to go ffrom 2.5 to 3.5 formfactor.

1. Yes, my desktop will stay at home. It is too big/inconvenient to bring with me to school. I also "*hope* that the price will go down. And what I mean by optimizations are i guess for more of the bugs to be worked out of the Sandforce SSDs.

2. Thanks

3. And never mind on the weight subject, I looked at the shipping weight along with reviewers saying it was heavy. I mentally connected those two. The shipping weight was 1.2 pounds, so i was a bit confused. :D 
m
l
February 27, 2012 12:06:14 AM

Best answer selected by Flying Pigs.
m
l
!