Nvidia nforce VNF4 Ultra

mitchr

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
I'm trying to find the files needed to update my bios for this motherboard. I have an Opteron 165 that I'd like to use with it, but without the update it's not recognizing it properly?

It's showing up as "AMD Hammer Family Processor" and would not run stable even though temps are good, so I assume this is because I've never updated the bios. =)

Oldbeerdrinker

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

Hi Mitchr,
Have used (still use) a Chaintech VNF4-Ultra VE for several years, and may be able to help. Current CPU is an AMD64 FX-60 and previously used an Opteron-185 on this board. Both of these are dual core, worked very well as dual core, but neither was identified correctly by BIOS. Running an FX-60 labeled "unknown" is irritating. Chaintech quit making motherboards, support went from bad to worse, and then support was gone. Finally found relocated support site:

http://www.chaintech.com.tw/a41_product_downloads.php?type=pro&mk=352&sk=

Every BIOS version is in one RAR file which, despite the upload date, didn't seem to have a bin file more recent than 4,19,2006 (it's labeled as "bios.bin" and matches "vn210419.txt" - lol). Later, noticed one file (vn210a02.bin) with a date of 10,2,2006 that had no associated text file. Was afraid to try it, but months later did. The Good: my "unknown" CPU now shows as FX-60, multiplier unlocked. Didn't check the Opteron. The Bad: CPU voltage limit reduced to 1.475v. The Strange: Bin file vn210a02 seems written to support a socket 939 SLI, motherboard, but where is the board? Anyway, Realtek Audio v3.74, NF4 v6.66 and User Manual are also there. Sorry for the late response.

OBD.