Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How many watts for my PSU do in need?

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2010 6:44:08 PM

hello everyone, i was wondering what power requirement would such a system require?
-board: MSI 770-C45 AM3 DDR3
-processor: AMD Phenom 11 X3 710 (triple core)
-hard drive: 500GB SATA II
-RAM: 2 sticks of- 2GB DDR3-1333
-Graphics: XFX GeForce 9400 1GB DDR2 PCI-E
-DVD+/-RW DL 22X (SATA)
-and the usual mouse & keyboard

would 500w power supply be adequate or go for extra leeway and get a 600watts (but dont want it to be under-loaded?)
The MORE FEEDBACK The BETTER...Thanks!

More about : watts psu

February 15, 2010 6:48:28 PM

On a side note, that is the base requirement. I suggest getting 100 to 200 watts over what it suggests.. (i.e. if it says 280w, get a 480w or the nearest which would be a 450-500w power supply).
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 15, 2010 7:02:31 PM

I wouldn't be quiet so fixated on watts and would focus more of my attention to the quality of the units you're considering. Plenty of companies are all-too-willing to slap an 800-watt label on a PSU knowing damned well it's not capable of that type of output for any sustained period of time. Though far from cheap, this would be a good supply to have...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And to answer your question... a quality 500 watt PSU would be MORE than enough for your system... with some room to upgrade components... but if it were me, I'd aim a little higher than 500. I went with a Corsair 650 HX for my $1200 rig and feel that was the right PSU for me. Keep in mind that some higher wattage PSUs are larger than others and some cases might have an issue with the increased dimensions.

It's also worth mentioning that if you're running a PSU near its rated output, the unit is going to run hotter (and that typically means louder) and will likely have a shorter life.
February 15, 2010 7:23:04 PM

rodney_ws said:
I wouldn't be quiet so fixated on watts and would focus more of my attention to the quality of the units you're considering. Plenty of companies are all-too-willing to slap an 800-watt label on a PSU knowing damned well it's not capable of that type of output for any sustained period of time. Though far from cheap, this would be a good supply to have...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And to answer your question... a quality 500 watt PSU would be MORE than enough for your system... with some room to upgrade components... but if it were me, I'd aim a little higher than 500. I went with a Corsair 650 HX for my $1200 rig and feel that was the right PSU for me. Keep in mind that some higher wattage PSUs are larger than others and some cases might have an issue with the increased dimensions.

It's also worth mentioning that if you're running a PSU near its rated output, the unit is going to run hotter (and that typically means louder) and will likely have a shorter life.

That's very true, I forgot to mention that power supply developers like to slap on flimsy wattages.. I suggest always spending over 60$ on any power supply.

Lol, on a sidenote, I'm probably discredited as I'm currently investigating rogue power outages on my computer that could very definitely be linked to my OCZ power supply. ^.^
m
l
February 15, 2010 7:31:59 PM

thanks for the tips both of u...and the online calculator is very helpful, the PSU newegg looks good but i'm not buying online. the calculator said 230 so i'll most likely go with a 500w
m
l
February 15, 2010 7:34:30 PM

is Omega a good brand?
m
l
February 15, 2010 7:48:15 PM

I've never heard of them.. I personally stick with OCZ, Antec, Thermaltake, and Corsair. In a pinch, I've used Rosewill and some lower end Coolmax power supplies, but usually only get about a year out of them...
m
l
February 15, 2010 7:58:12 PM

If I was absolutely stuck buying local and was looking at a wall of power supplies in best buy, this is probably the one I would grab towards:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antec+-+EarthWatts+500-Watt...

It's ugly and moderately priced, which means you're not paying a bunch extra for a cool looking custom designed finish that you're never going to see, it has a 3 year warranty, and it's 500w which is exactly what you need. It's also a well known and trusted brand, and it has 2 pci-e plugs on it.
m
l
February 15, 2010 8:00:15 PM

I personally usually look for 120mm fans, instead of 80mm for silence purposes, so if you see the same brand for about the same price sitting next to it w/ a bigger fan, I suggest grabbing it.
m
l
February 15, 2010 11:35:23 PM

thanks for the review links; JackNaylorPE and the tips rodney_ws and esp y-aji.
i'll be taking everyone's points into consideration.
m
l
February 27, 2010 2:33:41 PM

Best answer selected by jet_fire.
m
l
!