Intel i7 2600K
Corsair DDR3 RAM 8GB
Corsair Liquid Cooling Kit H100
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB

But here I have one problem.
As the motherboard supports Intel Smart Response Technology, I have two options - I can either go and install the system on the SSD or on HDD in RAID mode to enable the Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

I would like to ask the experts, how much of performance difference (read/write) will there be approximately between two options? And which one is better option?

Also when using RST, is it okay to partition the HDD into two - system and data storage? (e.g. 120GB for system and the rest for storage) And would the storage partition also be compatible with RST?

Your help would be really appreciated.

Joel

Solution
In order to use the Intel RST you have to use a SSD of 64gb or smaller with a minimum of 18.2gb. The whole purpose behind the Intel RST is to have your hdd as a single or in raid to have SSD like performance. Since you have a 120gb SSD it makes more sense to put your OS onto the SSD and have your hdd as storage. A 120gb SSD is big enough for the OS , a couple of games and some apps. This way you don't have to play around with a raid setup which sence it depends on both drives to be functioning to use and if one fails you lose your ability to uise the computer. Having a single drive being backedup makes better sense.
In order to use the Intel RST you have to use a SSD of 64gb or smaller with a minimum of 18.2gb. The whole purpose behind the Intel RST is to have your hdd as a single or in raid to have SSD like performance. Since you have a 120gb SSD it makes more sense to put your OS onto the SSD and have your hdd as storage. A 120gb SSD is big enough for the OS , a couple of games and some apps. This way you don't have to play around with a raid setup which sence it depends on both drives to be functioning to use and if one fails you lose your ability to uise the computer. Having a single drive being backedup makes better sense.

Solution

LordConrad

Distinguished
Let's not get confused here.

Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) is a set of enhanced AHCI/RAID drivers meant to speed up your SATA connection, and have nothing to do with drive caching.

Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) is a caching system introduced with the Intel Z68 chipset that allows an SSD of approx. 20-60 GB to be used as a high speed cache for slower speed, higher capacity hard drives.

LordConrad

Distinguished
For best performance, I would use your Vertex 3 for OS and important programs and leave the rest on your hard drives. Do not use Intel SRT caching as it will perform slower. Definitely install the newest Intel RST drivers as they will speed up your AHCI and RAID connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.