Windows 95 Routing

sgs

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
Looking for wired Cable/DSL router to network Windows 95 (P1-166 - Ethernet
10/100) with new PC. New PC (P4-3000, Gigabit Lan) will, at various times, be
running Win XP, Win 2000, and Linux. Advised that router needs firewall + PPPOE
firmware. Will want to share resources (e.g. printer) and files.

Difficult to research this on my own. Request brand name/url
recommendations/reviews. Thanks

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Just about any cable/dsl router should do what you want as far as you've stated.

Linksys seems to be a popular brand, but Netgear, D-Link, SMC, and others all make similar devices, some with additional features more or less, but all in the $50 US price range. They generally come with 10/100 ports, not gigabit, but since only one PC has gigabit, it won't matter for file sharing (since the old PC can only send/recieve at 100, the new one at 1000 is superfluous).

I have used several Linksys ones and a D-link one. Both brands worked adequately for me.

The file/printer sharing is a function of the respective PCs OSs, and is not dependent on any router function. There are some routers that also have a printer port (they have something like an HP JetDirect port in them as well as the cable/dsl and routing/nat/firewall capabilities.) but I don't know if you want/need that. What I do is just share the printer attached to one PC.

Mike

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
??? The ISP system min req's are for the direct connection software (ENTERNET or something similar). Any PC, even a 386 is capable of accepting a lan-based internet connection and run a web browser. (although a 386 would have trouble running IE6, older browsers like IE4 should be acceptable even on 386 hardware...)

Mike