Mobile Pentium-M vs Centrino.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2004 7:43:14 PM

Before I go any further in my search for a new laptop (see below "is this
too much to ask for").
I would like to ask:
1) Is the Intel Mobile Pentium-M the same processor as in the Intel Centrino
package?
Just not with the wireless capabilities of the Centrino?
My concern, will I get the same battery power from Mobile Pentium-M as I do
with the Centrino?

2) Also I sometimes see stuff like this: Intel Pentium M Processor 755.
What's the deal with the 755? And then they say it's eqivalent to a 2 GHz
Processor.

Thanks.

IS.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2004 7:43:15 PM

Same thing. It becomes a Centrino when you install the appropriate Intel
wifi card
"IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message
> Before I go any further in my search for a new laptop (see below "is this
> too much to ask for").
> I would like to ask:
> 1) Is the Intel Mobile Pentium-M the same processor as in the Intel
Centrino
> package?
> Just not with the wireless capabilities of the Centrino?
> My concern, will I get the same battery power from Mobile Pentium-M as I
do
> with the Centrino?
>
> 2) Also I sometimes see stuff like this: Intel Pentium M Processor 755.
> What's the deal with the 755? And then they say it's eqivalent to a 2 GHz
> Processor.
>
> Thanks.
>
> IS.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2004 8:21:14 PM

"IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message
| Before I go any further in my search for a new laptop (see below "is this
| too much to ask for").
| I would like to ask:
| 1) Is the Intel Mobile Pentium-M the same processor as in the Intel
Centrino
| package?

Centrino laptops are Pentium-M powered.

| Just not with the wireless capabilities of the Centrino?

Correct. Centrino is a Pentium-M with "approved" wifi adapter.

| My concern, will I get the same battery power from Mobile Pentium-M as I
do
| with the Centrino?

A Centrino is not a processor. It is a Pentium-M with a Intel PRO/Wireless
adapter on the i855 chipset. So yes, you will get the same battery life from
a Pentium-M as you would from a Pentium-M.

| 2) Also I sometimes see stuff like this: Intel Pentium M Processor 755.
| What's the deal with the 755? And then they say it's eqivalent to a 2 GHz
| Processor.

Intel has finally gotten away from the processor speed rating. With
technological advances, slower (clock speed) processors can now handily
ouperform their faster "competition". The 755 is not equivalent to, but is a
2GHz processor. It will handily outperform a P4 2GHz though most of the
time. Think of it like your car. You can turn your engine at 3000RPM in 3rd
gear and not go as fast and get worse mileage than you would in 4th gear.
The engine works just as hard, but doesn't get the same amount of work done
per revolution in the end.
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2004 12:18:26 AM

Thanks Theodore, that helps me understand much better.

IS.

http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/processors/penti...

!