Upgraded Corsair HX 620 to HX750 and PC won't start

littlefire

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
I'm building a new system and have been tweaking it using a 3 year old Corsair HX 620. My new HX 750 arrived today. I tested it using the paper clip start and checked the voltages. They seemd pretty good but the gray wire was only about 4.6 but I figured that was within spec.

I am using a Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R. When the 750 is in standby mode the board's blue "cmos reset" switch on back does light up. However, once I press the power button the computer does nothing other than light up two leds on the board which are either for Northbridge or DDR phase according to the manual.

Any ideas? I made sure I only used the new modular cables with the new psu (Corsair's site said to make sure of that).

littlefire

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Yes, I just tried again with the old HX620 and it was fine. I loaded the fail safe bios settings. I then tried with the new HX750 and still nothing. I'm going to check the gray wire to see if it's not sending enough voltage at startup.

littlefire

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Well, checked again and on my old psu the gray wire is exactly 5.00

However, the gray wire on the new 750 watt psu is only 4.62, so that is beyond 5% I assume maybe that is the issue.

littlefire

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Yes, everything was correct. It gives the board some power as led lights are lit but it does nothing when you hit the power button. It doesn't even struggle to start, simply nothing happens, no fans spin, etc once it's in the computer

littlefire

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

Nope checked that first. I guess I'll just use the old one until they can get me a new one...I've only ever bought four Corsair products and now 2 have been doa...so frustrating.