CORSAIR SSD is performing 50%

Hypertraxx

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
*sorry for my bad grammar
Hi all!

Alrighty, so i got myself a SSD few weeks ago. I installed everything and everything went better than expected. *ithought*.
So now few weeks after installing it i read some forum with people that tested their SSD speed with benchmarks.
So did i and here comes the said part. My ssd performs only half of what they say. I'm working on this problem for a week now, but i can't find the answer yet. I have tried many things* to speed the ssd up. Alot of people tried helping me but we can't find the answer.

*What have i done?
-Stopped Windows indexing
-Stopped shadow copying
-Set my sata to AHCI in the bios
-Used other sata cables
-Used other sata ports
-Updated sata drivers
-Updated bunch of other drivers

I have tested the speed with many different benchmark programs. And they give all similar results.
Let me be clear, my current average write speed is 100~200mb/s and read 200~300mb/s.
While the box says the speed should be about write 515mb/s and read 555mb/s
Clearly i do something wrong, because somehow this guy manage it to get a reasonable speed:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/275948-14-corsair-force-120gb-sata3-speed-performance-test

Some people told me my cpu is to slow 'you're buss speed is to slow' this is of course completely not true.
Others told me to try update the SSD firmware, though CORSAIR does not recommend updating it.

Now i'm really stuck here, and i hope someone in this forum can help me out.
Under the line will be all the information you guys want *ithink*. If not please tell me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Computer
ASUS P6X58D-E
ASUS nVidia ENGTX 460 ( on 25/02/12 there will be 2 ENGT 560 )
Corsair XMS 12GB RAM ( on 25/02/12 there will be 24gb )
- 1333MHz
Corsair Force GT SSD 120GB
- 555mb/s read | 515mb/s write
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.077GHz
-Bus 130.6MHz
CM 620watt psu ( on 25/02/12 there will be a CM gold 1000w )

+ Drivers
Marvell 9128
IMSM v8901023

Last but not least the screens of my ssd speeds:
hXxK

hXVu

I really hope someone can help me!

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
This may be a stupid question, but is your motherboard sata 3? Because 200 * 8 = roughly 1.5Gbs which is sata 1 speeds. I would look myself but at work on an iPad :)

Your motherboard’s 6Gb/s ports use the Marvell 9128 controller.
That controller has a maximum data bandwidth of PCIe x1 at 5Gb/s (500 MB/s).
You will not get the maximum advertised speed from your SSD on any X58 chipset based motherboard.

Your Sequential Write speeds are about normal (105.38 MB/s vs. 111.09 MB/s) compared to the benchmark link you provided.
Your Sequential Read speeds are definitely low (266.68 MB/s vs. 510.75 MB/s).

But again, you’re using a X58 motherboard and the person’s benchmark you linked to is using a Z68 motherboard (Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3) which has native Intel 6Gb/s ports.

Also note that AS-SSD uses incompressible data to test Read/Write speeds, so even with a Z68 motherboard you don’t see advertised speeds of 555 MB/s Read and 515 MB/s Write unless you benchmark with ATTO, which uses compressible data to test Read/Write speeds.

Hypertraxx

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

So to make a long story sort, do you think i should buy a new motherboard?
If so what kinda motherboard where should i look for. I prefer a ASUS/ASROCK board.

mkmitch is correct. If you purchase a motherboard with a different chipset you also have to purchase a compatible cpu.

Benchmarks are synthetic results. If you purchased a motherboard & cpu that gave you your drive's maximum advertised speeds it's possible that you would not notice any "real-world" difference.

"Log off" overnight for the next 2-3 days to alllow Garbage Collection to recover drive performance, and then benchmark with ATTO.

Dereck47 has hit the nail on the head.
If you look all "advertized" benchmarks they use (1) a benchmark that uses highly compressable data (reviews often show As SSD which uses compressed data) and (2) almost always on an intel based controler using iaSTor (older reviews use msahci) for the driver.
As Dereck47 stated, even if you did boost your Sequencial read/writes, you will NOT see a performance incease. Reason - Sequencial performance is the LEAST important matrix for a OS + Program SSD, it's the 4 K random that count. Switching to a Z68 platform and using the Intel Sata III controller will provide a increase in the 4 K random - but not enough to make it cost effective soley on SSD performance.
Z68 does provide other bennies that could be used to justify switching - all depends on how rich you feel (did you switch to GEICO and just feel richer - LOL). Native SATA III, USB3, QuickSync, use of an iGPU (comes in handy).

As to the controller you are using, the Marvell 9128, it has the lowest performance. The newer marvel controller found on the Z68 MB is not much better and it is recommend to use the Intel based controller.

Hypertraxx

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Whoo, thanks for all the support guys, im really happy with it.
I'll understand it now, i will buy a new motherboard and cpu some other day xD
Because this board is just 7months old for me :(