ErikTABS

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
So, I was looking to buy a SSD and I've been reading other topics and a lot of people recommend either Samsung 830 or Crucial m4 but they are usually more expensive than I would like to pay ($200 for a 128gb samsung). After browsing newegg for a while I find this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441
With the promo code it would be $80 for each, I was thinking about buying 2 and using then in RAID0 for OS and some games. For everything else I would just use my seagate barracuda 500gb.
I heard that RAID0 for SSD doesn't really help you much, mostly improving write speeds only, but do you guys think it's a good purchase? Should I instead just get a 120gb SSD?

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
SSD performance increases with the size of the drive. I was thinking about doing the same as you, but it was advised to me to go with the larger single drive.

I am using the 128 GB Samsung right now and it is great :)

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Here is an explaination from this thread from geofelt:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273160-32-120gb-raid-single

...Here is a vote for a single larger ssd.

1) Trim is important. As the drive gets filled, trim can release deleted space with a command instead of a read/rewrite operation which will eventually bog down the drive.
2) Synthetic benchmarks are nice, and raid-0 shows well. Unfortunately, we rarely do the type of sequential operations that synthetic benchmarks do. The best use for a SSD os for the OS which mostly does small reads and writes. Raid-0 is of no use there,
3) A larger SSD will have more underlying nand chips. That allows the drive to be able to read more chips in parallel. Sort of an internal raid-0 if you will.
4) From actual experience: I had a Intel X25-M 80 gb drive. I wanted a larger single 160gb image, so I bought a second one an ran raid-0. It ran OK.
Then, I replaced it with a single X25-M 160gb drive, and performance was equally good, if not better. That was my perception, not any synthetic benchmarks.
5) As a rule, two 120gb drives will cost more than a single 240gb drive.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Go with the single drive. Two hard drives in RAID 0 is a noticeable speed boost, not so with SSDs as the extra speed will be much less apparent. Never put drives in a RAID 0 setup unless it's strictly for temporary storage, or you have a very strict backup strategy, because all of your data is lost if just one drive goes bad. Also, when SSDs are in a RAID 0 array, all TRIM support is lost.

If you're determined to go RAID 0, I would use Intel drives and nothing else as reliability is even more critical.