C2Q Q8400 or AMD Athlon II X4 630?

Hi All,

I am planing to upgrade from my system (which is a Pentium 4 lol) , I have been looking at these CPUs:

1. Core 2 Quad Q8400
2. AMD Athlon II X4 630

Well , both are quads so both will be good, but the difference of 2 MB cache makes the Q8400 makes it so expensive, as compared to AMD 630?
also I am going for a Gaming PC with a 5770, from which threads I've read the CPUs aren't the ones that increase the FPS (or maybe I am wrong) .

also I am going for a "under 150$" Crossfire motherboard , just to be future proof ;).

so which one gives more performance guys, is Intel worth the extra cash or just overpriced?
I will also be doing like HD movies and multi-tasking (I know the video card will take the movies).
also anyone knows some good AM2+ motherboards?

Thanks Everyone,
Razor GT
22 answers Last reply
More about q8400 athlon
  1. Dont get a socket 775 processor dead socket and way overpriced however the Q8400 is about 10% faster at the same clock but its price tag and its dead socket makes it a NO. Get the Athlon x4 630 and the 5770 that will be a very good performing system and wont cost you too much either for future upgrade ability I would get an AM3 motherboard and DDR3 RAM.
  2. Well from what I've heard the Phenom x3s 4th core can be unlocked, so can the Athlon x3s 4th core be unlocked because my friend says there is nothing such as a triple core they just disable a core?
  3. Anonymous said:
    Well from what I've heard the Phenom x3s 4th core can be unlocked, so can the Athlon x3s 4th core be unlocked because my friend says there is nothing such as a triple core they just disable a core?

    That is true but that disabled core is sometimes disabled because it was unstable sometimes you get lucky and get an actual quad core with one disabled. Back when they first came out the Athlons IIs were actually Phenom II denab dies with the L3 and a core disabled those were great finds but now they use the Propus die which has no L3 cache on the die at all. Its about a 50/50 chance of being unlocked odds might be a little better then that IMO though if you want a quad get a quad but if an x3 will suit your needs then get that like CT said the x3 435 will give the same performance in gaming if that is your main use get that but if you are gonna be doing any video encoding or running apps that are mult threaded friendly the x4 is the way to go. Either one will be a great processor to start with just make sur you get an AM3 motherboard to leave your upgrade path wide open
  4. ok then, but the L2 Cache is 1.5MB and whats the difference between less or more caches? the cores are same? whats the difference between L2 and L3 cache?
  5. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-l3-cache,2416.html

    Above is a link about the L2 and L3 cache. They tested an Athlon X4 and a Phenom II X4 at the same clock speed. The L3 cache did not make a difference. Personally, I would go with the X4 630 myself. I do a lot of multitasking, and I like the idea of having 4 cores versus 3 cores.
  6. yes well I think i am going to go with the Athlon x4 630.
    and anyone has any good ideas for a good overclockable motherboard?
    and my friend has a ASUS arctic square hes selling, I will buy it but will it work on AM3 motherboards?

    Lastly, runswindows95 How did you join Tom's Hardware on 1-01-1970? 0.o I don't think Internet was invented then?
  7. Anonymous said:

    Lastly, runswindows95 How did you join Tom's Hardware on 1-01-1970? 0.o I don't think Internet was invented then?

    Good question. I have been wondering about it myself but never get to asking.
  8. Anonymous said:
    yes well I think i am going to go with the Athlon x4 630.
    and anyone has any good ideas for a good overclockable motherboard?
    and my friend has a ASUS arctic square hes selling, I will buy it but will it work on AM3 motherboards?

    Here's a good motherboard. It is the latest with USB3 and SATA 6G and afford you the most futureproofing at the moment:
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130269
    It is below your $150 budget.

    I don't know about he ASUS Arctic Square, what is the exact model and how much is he selling it for?
  9. Yes, I am Al Gore!

    Seriously, I have no clue. I wasn't even a thought in 1970!

    Back on topic. The MSI randomkid suggested is a nice motherboard. It's the new 890GX chipset.
  10. Hes Giving me for 30$ (not bad for a really good fan), it supports AM2, AM2+ but nowhere says that it supports AM3?

    Well I am not quite buying it until i am positively sure it will fit into AM3,
    anyways i still have 3-4 months I am just planning now, and that MSI is PERFECT!
    Thank you very much much randomkid :)
  11. anyways, the Memory is SOOO expensive!
    but OCZ gold saves me :D but can only get 4 GB now
  12. lastly will a 5770 fit in a mid tower case or a full tower is required?
  13. It will fit in mid tower, no problem.
  14. is the athlon II x4 620 not available? that would save you a couple more dough.
  15. wh3resmycar: nice point but I dont think I will be OC'ing until it lags on medium settings of any game ;)
  16. runswindows95 said:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-l3-cache,2416.html

    Above is a link about the L2 and L3 cache. They tested an Athlon X4 and a Phenom II X4 at the same clock speed. The L3 cache did not make a difference. Personally, I would go with the X4 630 myself. I do a lot of multitasking, and I like the idea of having 4 cores versus 3 cores.


    The level 3 cache on the full phenom translates into a 10% speed boost. Not sure where you get this "did not make a difference" stuff from.

    I agree on the cores. 4 is better than 3.
  17. wh3resmycar said:
    is the athlon II x4 620 not available? that would save you a couple more dough.


    The introduction of the X4 635 brought the price of the 630 down to $99. The 620 however did not go down. So you have your choice of the 620 or 630 for about $100.
  18. People who were around before the new forum system seem to simply have their joined date set to 1970 :D.

    Anyway, get the 640X4. Overclock it, be happy.
  19. Actually, get the 620 instead. It is less likely your chosen board will need a BIOS update, and it's basically the same as the 630 save the multiplier.
  20. megamanx00 said:
    Actually, get the 620 instead. It is less likely your chosen board will need a BIOS update, and it's basically the same as the 630 save the multiplier.


    What are you talking about? The 620 and 630 are both currently C2 steppings. So it makes no difference. And they are the SAME PRICE.
  21. Anonymous said:
    anyways, the Memory is SOOO expensive!
    but OCZ gold saves me :D but can only get 4 GB now

    DO not buy OCZ gold, It's Their worst model.
    Just Check NewEgg reveiwes and see...
  22. I agree with FALCON. No reason to get the X4 620 anymore at the moment since the X4 630 is the same price on Newegg.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Product