Computer Shutting Down after 10-15 Seconds

lakesarecool

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
I moved my computer from one location to another and at the new location it started shutting off after 15 or so seconds, and after less time each time it was started.

I opened up the computer and noticed that the heatsink was loose and placed it back in. I then went into the motherboard and saw the cpu temperature rising up to 73 Celsisus, so clearly something is wrong.

I went out and purchased a new heatsink to keep it cool, but to no avail the processor temperature kept rising.
I decided to try other components like swapping the ram, the power supply removing all sata connections, etc.
Nothing worked.

So today i have another computer with the same socket motherboard and cpu. I swapped my cpu into that computer and the temperature kept rising in that computer. With the normal cpu in that computer this did not happen. So I said ok, there's probably something wrong with my cpu.

Then to keep testing i took the working cpu out of the other computer, placed it in mine and the temperature kept rising in there too, but did not rise in it's main computer.

My CPU is an E6750
and the definitely working one is a Q6600.

Right now my going theory is both my motherboard temperature gauge and my cpu are fried, which means both have to be replaced. Of course I might be missing something and most of you are more knowledgeable than I am, so here I am asking if you have any ideas that I may have missed or suggestions.

I know it's long and I'd like to thank you very much for your time.

Are you reapplying the thermal paste every time you swap the CPUs? Couldn't tell from your post, but if you're not doing that, then it's likely you'll experience high temps every time after reinstalling.

My guesses are either:

a) The CPU fan in the old machine is dying, which is why it won't cool either CPU, or

b) The thermal paste on the old CPU and heatsink got baked to a crisp and is no longer effective, which could also lead to when you put the Q6600 in the old machine, it wasn't making good contact with the heatsink.

lakesarecool

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
Thank you for the quick reply

a) I just installed a new heatsink which came with new thermal paste on it, so it can't be A.

b) I have not been reapplying thermal paste each time, they both still have paste on them, but this could very well be a factor, if not the whole problem.

Yes, it is DEFINITELY A.

You must use isoprophyl alcohol to remove all traces of thermal paste from both CPU and Heat Sink. Then apply new thermal paste. It is extremely important that CPU / HS interface be totally smooth. By using old cooked paste, actually more likely remnants of an old stock thermal pad, no such condition exists. Clumps of the old material are not allowing full contact between the two surfaces and therefore heat transfer is being impaired.

YOU CAN NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REUSE A THERMAL PAD.

Here's a sample application method

http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=4

use methos specific to yur paste / cooler.

lakesarecool

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
Did not re-use a thermal pad, new heatsink came with a new thermal pad on it and used thermal paste remover and cleaner, the arctic brand first on the cpu, before placing on the new heatsink and pad. Should've mentioned that beforehand my apologies.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

You should always reapply new thermal paster every time you reseat the HSF, even if you had just put it on, and for whatever reason took it off, maybe to check if the TIM spread correctly, ALWAYS reapply new thermal paste when you reseat the HSF.

As to your problem, it sounds, besides the not reapplying thermal paste, like you have not installed the HSF correctly, they can be rather annoying to install if they are using the push-pin method.

antisyzygy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

You need to remove all thermal paste and reapply it after each resitting of the heat sink. The thermal paste needs to be fresh so that it can cure or settle on the processor and conduct heat efficiently to the heat sink. Some thermal paste does not need to cure, but you still need a clean surface on the processor and heat sink, and fresh paste.

You can order some thermal paste cleaner on NewEgg. Also, buy some artic silver. When you re-apply thermal paste, make sure you use only a dot about the size of a BB.

Cleaner :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

Thermal paste :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007&cm_re=thermal_paste-_-35-100-007-_-Product

antisyzygy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

Thats puzzling. Let it settle for awhile and see what happens. The only other thing it could be is damaged CPU, or the voltage settings or something is too high. Also, make sure you use about the size of a BB for the paste (I realize you have heatsink thermal pad). Try to clean the heatsink and processor then reapply thermal paste. Also, MAKE SURE you are installing the correct model heat sink for you specific socket CPU. Additionally, make sure it is installed correctly, and clamped down correctly.