Sign in with
Your question

Transfering OS+Drivers onto SSD?

Last response: in Storage
February 23, 2012 3:11:49 AM

I recently bought a new laptop that came with 2 600GB HDD's (non raid). I have a 160GB SSD from an old build that I am parting out that I wish to place into said laptop. My question is this:
Without a windows disc (but with legit serial numbers) is there a way to port the OS along with all the laptop drivrs (touchpad, wifi, etc) onto the SSD? Also, the SSD has files on it, how can I go about reformatting that drive?
a b D Laptop
a c 119 G Storage
February 23, 2012 4:18:49 AM

The new laptop that you bought does not come with a Windows disk? You can request one form the company that built the laptop. They should be providing that in case you have a hard drive failure you need to reload the OS. Once you have the cd you can put the SSD in the laptop and when Windows does the installation you can format the drive at the same time.
m
l
February 23, 2012 4:35:19 AM

Also you can use Symantec backup to make a image of your current windows data etc.... and deploy it on your ssd. Good and easy solution is to make the recovery dvd from your OS and then simply change the hdd to ssd. :)  A lot of solutions if you think about it
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2012 2:50:07 PM

Most laptops come with a built in backup/ restore partition. I hate that, HP does that and so does Acer. You have to call them and pay like 20 bucks to get the disks. Dell includes the OS but most times you will need to pay for them.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 353 G Storage
February 23, 2012 3:36:48 PM

Same-Same. Bought the Samsung RF-711. Has two HDD bays, but only came with one HDD. Bought 2 Curical 128 Gig M4s. Also NO windows disk - had a recovery partition.
Here is what I did (Do NOT like cloning from a HDD -> SSD).
1) removed Boot HDD. (NOTE, I copied the restore partition to a Thumdrive - could have been a external backup drive. May be able to connect your orignal boot HDD to usb 3 port (need a cable or enclosure)
2) installed the SSD (NO Drive in 2nd Bay)
3) You can use any Windows 7 Installation disk - Just DO NOT insert Key when prompted!!
.. If you use an upgrade installation disk select custom install then do the "Clean Install using windows 7 Upgrade. (Will add two steps that are required later).
4) Install windows.
5) In my case Samsung had a software program that would allow me to install the drivers and software - Allowed me to select which ones to install. This was great as it allowed me to first install the newest intel RST and HD3000 drivers from intell and not use the outdated drivers in recovery directory. Also could deselect bloatware software (trial versions).
6) Installed all my programs.
7) Tested system for any problems/stability.
8) Activated - AT THIS TIME insert YOUR laptop key.

9) NOW mack your own recovery.
.. Install your 2nd HDD. Use windows backup to create a system image of your Boot SSD using windows 7 backup. Located in controll panel. Put the image on your 2nd HDD - Root directory. I also copied to a External HDD for added safety.
.. Now if you need to re-install windows - use this image file - Complete reinstall in 10 Min - do not have to re-install window, Reinstall drivers, reinstall programs. You Just select repair - repair from image, and 10 min later you are DONE and ready to use computer.

Added, if using windows 7 Upgrade DVD (remember DO NOT add key when propted)
When you complete the Windows installation - let it do it's updates, then
1st Step:
.. Enter regedit in START RUN box.
.. When Regedit comes up: just click Edit then Find and type MediaBootInstall into the search field, and press enter.
.. Once found, double click MediaBootInstall and change the "1" to a "0". Once you have finished this, simply click Ok and close out the Registry Editor

2nd step:
open up the start menu and type cmd but instead of just pressing enter, you need to press "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "Enter" to run it as an administrator. You can also accomplish this by clicking the start menu, typing cmd into the search box, then right clicking the command prompt application and selecting Run as administrator.

Once the command prompt appears type slmgr /rearm and press enter. Next simply type Exit and hit enter again, after which it will ask you to restart your machine.

m
l
February 23, 2012 5:10:29 PM

That method seems to be the best in terms of creating an image. Those built in recovery things take up space on the HD and can cause issues. I always had a usb with 7 on it and formatted laptops from the start. Half that stuff is bloatware from companies too. Fresh installations are always the best and as long as you have installed all drivers, make an image after that, then you can restore that image anytime.
m
l
!