Sign in with
Your question

I7 920, ATI Radeon 5970 and a whole new system

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2010 2:40:45 AM

Hi,
I'm planning ahead to buy a whole new gaming desktop but i really think that 'gaming' desktops outside are really ripoffs....so im hoping to build one

here's what i would like in my computer:
-Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
-GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD 5970 (Hemlock) 2GB
-ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

im still exploring the build-a-computer-world and im not sure what else i should get. Well, the obvious is im missing stuff like the hard drives, dvd drives and im sorta loking for suggestions

also, cuz i know that both the cpu and gpu that i chose are really demanding, im thinking of building a liquid cooling system...suggestions on that would be awesome too!

Cheers,
Harry
a c 133 à CPUs
April 24, 2010 2:50:40 AM

Instead of the I7 I would get the I5 750 it provides plenty of power to run that 5970 and they overclock very well. Liquid cooling is nice but can be very expensive and very unreliable for the most part a quality aid cooled system will be able to stay just as cool as a liquid system and is way more reliable. For that expensive hardware you are getting I would not make that a system to learn liquid cooling. I suggest the I5 750 since overall build cost will be less without sacrifice performance especially in gaming. With the money save you would be able to get a good SSD to run windows and main programs And Raid a couple Samsung spinpoint F3s.

Dont forget PSU you will need a good Corsair or Seasonic 650 watt unit.

Corsair 650 watt $69.99 after rebate this is really a great deal if you can get it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2010 6:44:56 AM

dont get a ssd drive they wear down to fast for the money you spend and the amd quad core is better at cooling and come with really good heat sinks myself i am running a amd 3.4ghz quad core phenom serieis black addition it stays really cool and dont give problems the best mother board of that cpu is the crosshair formula 3 by asus match it with a 100gb hard disc for windows anda tb hard disk for every thing else all sata and a sata dvd drive with the 5970 will work great you will want a power supply about 750watts make sure you get a tower with plenty of fan and air vents i have an antec 300 my system cost around $900
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2010 4:57:41 PM

disagree... get a ssd... a good one based on the indilinx(from Crucial, OCZ, etc) or the intel controller(obviously from Intel)... even the new sandforce based ones seem pretty fast...

anyways to the topic...

if u can afford i'd definitely suggest a core i7 930... yeah a i5 750 is great... but that's for the mainstream users...

as for the gpu, 5970 is definitely the fastest card in the universe presently...

you'll also need :

3 X 2 GB DDR3 Memory(Corsair, Patriot, Crucial, Gskill depends on ur choice)
a SSD for OS and programs
a 1 TB HDD for your songs, movies, files, etc
a psu - corsair 750W/ antec 850W

liquid cool is effective but very messy... air cooling is pretty decent... you can hit to 4 Ghz without a hitch...
m
l
!