Missing sata drive connected by USB-Sata adapter

JohnReader

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I have new Acer Aspire One 722-0828 Netbook. Processor is AMD c-60 Apu with Radeon graphics. OS is Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit. Memory is 4 gigs.

Purchased this to replace Acer AOD 150-1920 with Intel N270 processor. Upgraded to Windows 7 32 bit, two gigs of ram and Bios 1.11. Motherboard wrecked by ham-handed wanna be repair guy aka "yours truly".

Able to salvage 160 gig Toshiba SATA drive. Connected old drive to new computer using Sata USB 2.0 adapter. Drivers installed on connection. Able to "see" drive in device manager. Drive not recognized in "My Computer". Cannot access it.

Right clicked on my computer and selected Manage. Selected disk managment. Drive is displayed there; however, receive message "Drive must be initialized". When I attempt to initialize drive receive "input/output" error message. "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." Also tried changing drive letter in disk manager...same poor results.... NADA

Appreciate any help and much thanks in advance.

Sounds like it doesn't want to cooperate because it's connected by the usb adaptor. Do you only have the laptop to use? If you could connect to a Pc with the straight sata connection it may work for you. Does the laptop have a e-sata port you can use?

JohnReader

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
hooookay....added the laptop drive to the desk top computer. By the way, the desk top computer is a Windows XP Professional.

Sata drive recognized on startup and is recognized in Device Manager. Still not recognized in "My Computer" and cannot access it. Downloaded and installed ZAR 9.1 and ran into confilct with Zar and my Nvidia drivers. Will purchase a E-sata cable tomorrow and try again with desk top. Thanks again for the great idea.

When you connect it to the desktop you need to go into disk management and initialize the drive and format it before you can use it or acess it. Right click on computer and select manage and in the window select disk management then if you see the drive listed there you can right click on it and follow the insructions for initializing.

JohnReader

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Bought esata cable today, as with USB, drive is found in device manager and under disk management. Disk Management wants me to initialize and format the drive...and that is the problem I need to copy data off the drive and place it on the new netbook. Thanks again for all the help.

JohnReader

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

I do have this drive backed up. Probably just being lazy; however, if at all possible I would like to be able to salvage it as it is. Any thoughts or ideas would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.