Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon X2 4800 overheating! HELP!!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2010 3:30:56 AM

I have an AMD X2 4800 (brisbane), on a Gigabyte AM2 mobo, with 2gigs of ddr 2 800 mhz ram, a 4850 with thermalright AMC and a creative extreme gamer soundcard. My PSU is a Tagan 600w (truepower).

Now, the story:

off late my system started turning off while playing games or running heavy processing apps, I suspected the CPU at this time and i checked my bios temps, which showed it was running at 90c degrees! I checked the CPU fan and it was fine, running at 3500 rpm. I also checked my Cabinet 120mm cooler master fan and was surprised to see it was running at just 1000 RPM!! I remember earlier cabinet fans are supposed to run at atleast 5000-8000 rpm.

So just to be sure...i bought a new cooler master cabiner 120mm fan and a cooler master thermal paste. I replied the thermal paste,installed the new fan...and guess what? It's still shooting up to 90c on load and just shutting off! I'm unable to game, work (i use a lot of video editing and video authoring tools).

Now the funny thing is...I recently installed the thermalright heatsink with 2 90mm fans on the graphics card...i suspected this might be drawing too much power, but i was wrong...after disconnecting the fans on the heatsink disconnecting additional drives, the sound card...the cabinet fan still runs at 1000 rpm. I have a screen shot of my bios earlier which showed the Cabinet fan running at 8000rpm.

I don't know if an after market cooler for the CPU will help, or should i change the heatsink and cpu fan..i don't know what's wrong, re-thermal pasting failed, new cabinet fan failed...please help...any suggestions or inputs?
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2010 3:47:07 AM

I would think the sensor might be reading it wrong but since you experience system turn-off then it must be getting real hot.
Will you consider changing CPU altogether rather than buy a heatsink?
If your motherboard support AM3 ( with BIOS upgrade) it will be a good upgrade path.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2010 12:51:50 AM

There is nothing wrong with the 1000 rpms on a large 120mm fan, they definately don't run at 8000 rpms.
Confusion thermaltake or thermalright? heatsink 2 90mm fams on GPU?
Do you mean cpu? if so and you're not overclocking there is a problem.
Showing 90c degrees on that cpu is bad news. IF the new thermalright is installed on the cpu and not the gpu there is a contact problem.
The base of the cooler should make contact with the cpu (metal to metal is the best contact-the small amount of paste (1-3 grains of rice size) is only to fill in micro air gaps nothing else. I suspect the fan base is hitting the mounting area and not contacting the cpu surface.
Check the cpu voltages in bios make sure they are reporting the correct voltage for your processor. The 90c reading is not unheard of for that video card (gpu) though but shouldn't be run that hot.
m
l
Related resources
April 25, 2010 2:37:19 AM

randomkid said:
I would think the sensor might be reading it wrong but since you experience system turn-off then it must be getting real hot.
Will you consider changing CPU altogether rather than buy a heatsink?
If your motherboard support AM3 ( with BIOS upgrade) it will be a good upgrade path.

i was actually considering CPU upgrade itself...but my mobo is an old AM2 mobo and with a bios update, it can support AM2+ processors but it scales the hypertransport to v1.0 instead of running at v3.0. So as an interim upgrade i wouldn't mind doing that.

I'm planning an overhaul in about a year's time, but that's still too far off not to game and work :( 

I'm gonna try a new heatsink first and see if that helps..then evaluate what processors i can choose from :) 

thanks for your inputs!!
m
l
April 25, 2010 2:45:18 AM

roonj said:
There is nothing wrong with the 1000 rpms on a large 120mm fan, they definately don't run at 8000 rpms.
Confusion thermaltake or thermalright? heatsink 2 90mm fams on GPU?
Do you mean cpu? if so and you're not overclocking there is a problem.
Showing 90c degrees on that cpu is bad news. IF the new thermalright is installed on the cpu and not the gpu there is a contact problem.
The base of the cooler should make contact with the cpu (metal to metal is the best contact-the small amount of paste (1-3 grains of rice size) is only to fill in micro air gaps nothing else. I suspect the fan base is hitting the mounting area and not contacting the cpu surface.
Check the cpu voltages in bios make sure they are reporting the correct voltage for your processor. The 90c reading is not unheard of for that video card (gpu) though but shouldn't be run that hot.

hey Roonj - thanks for the inputs -

just to clear the confusion - the thermalRight is for the GPU - my CPU is still running on the stock heatsink and fan..which i got like 4 years back. my GPU has no worries at all...it runs at 55c on load and 42c on idle. the GPU heatsink is called the T-Rad2 GTX.

I had the same problem once earlier...and by changing the CPU fan and the cabinet 120mm fan it was controlled...i took a pic of the bios then...the cabinet fan was running at 8000rpm. from what i read online, 5000 to 8000 rpm is what they should run it...i may be wrong, i'm no expert however.

any light on what the correct voltage reading should be? and how do i determine, if the mobo is showing incorrect readings.

I'm planning on getting a new heatsink and if that doesn't help..will try a new processor...if that don't help too...then i think the mobo is messed up. thoughts?
m
l
April 25, 2010 3:11:56 AM

First thing to try, is to undo the fan from your heatsink, and use some air to blow the dust out of bothe. While you are at it, give the rest of your system a shot as well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2010 1:27:40 PM

endyen said:
First thing to try, is to undo the fan from your heatsink, and use some air to blow the dust out of bothe. While you are at it, give the rest of your system a shot as well.

Oh yes. This is great idea. In my kid's PC the intel stock heatsink gets clogged up with dusts so even if the fan is spinning, the air doesn't get to the heatsink's fin therefore not doing much cooling. I did not have the time to disassemble it so I improvised an small tube connected to a vacuum cleaner that sucked the dust out of it.

Of course a new cooler will solve the same problem if this is indeed the case but it is also good to note cause soon, even the new cooler will accumulate dust and needs to be cleaned periodically too.
m
l
April 25, 2010 8:50:56 PM

endyen said:

mmmm i hadn't thought of undoing the fan..i generally give it a general vaccum cleaner air blast to unclog dust...but i'll try this before i go for the new heatsink!

thanks!
m
l
April 26, 2010 6:27:39 AM

so here's what i did in the meantime...i read up on the cooler master thermal paste i was using..and apparently they're rubbish. So i applied the thermal paste that came with the GPU cooler. (thermal right) and it seems to be stable now...its showing 56c on load..which seems about right. I'm going to run prime95 to see how it holds up.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2010 1:46:11 PM

That' a good break... saved you from further trouble and unnecessary expense. Happy it worked well for you.
m
l
April 28, 2010 2:09:47 AM

well! it all worked out! ran it for 2 days..no issues..no overheating and no reboots!

thanks everyone for helping with your inputs!!

cheers! :) 
m
l
March 24, 2011 5:54:15 AM

gamedruid said:
well! it all worked out! ran it for 2 days..no issues..no overheating and no reboots!

thanks everyone for helping with your inputs!!

cheers! :) 

Hi,
I know this is an old message, but it is exactly my problem with an HP a6242n computer (AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 4800). It is getting too hot and shutting off.

I am no stranger to all the components of the computer, but have never fooled with these modern CPUs, heatsinks, and fans.

How can I get info on heatsink, thermal paste, etc? This is all new territory to me (I have replaced/installed memory, hard drives, power supplies, etc.--but never touched the CPUs or fans on top of them).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Todd
m
l
April 3, 2011 10:36:55 AM

toddbeall said:
Hi,
I know this is an old message, but it is exactly my problem with an HP a6242n computer (AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 4800). It is getting too hot and shutting off.

I am no stranger to all the components of the computer, but have never fooled with these modern CPUs, heatsinks, and fans.

How can I get info on heatsink, thermal paste, etc? This is all new territory to me (I have replaced/installed memory, hard drives, power supplies, etc.--but never touched the CPUs or fans on top of them).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Todd

hi - sorry i took so long to reply - well i took my info from 2 sites - frostytech and heatsink-guide.com (google them - i couldn't get the URL to show up for some reason)

all said and done, my issue was finally resolved with getting a Cooler Master Heatsink for the the AMDX2 - it's the same one which fits on a core 2 quad 6600 and the like. It worked out very well for me. It's stable as ever and i feel no reason whatsoever to even clean my cabinet (although i should be doing it more often). Hope it works out for you. Im unable to find my box, else i would have given you the model name, but it believe it is the Scythe Zipang.
m
l
April 3, 2011 10:43:27 AM

sorry i must clarify, it 'looks like' the Scythe Zipang.
m
l
April 4, 2011 6:13:44 AM

gamedruid said:
sorry i must clarify, it 'looks like' the Scythe Zipang.

Thanks so much!

It turns out that my problem was easier to solve. I got a bit more courageous and unscrewed the fan from the chip and heatsink. There was a whole thick layer of dust that I could not see before! So once I got rid of all that dust, I simply reattached the fan, and the temps (which went to 90 deg C before I manually shut the computer off) are now at a much cooler 30-40 deg C.

Amazing what a thick slab of dust will do!

Thanks again for your help!

Todd
m
l
!