Sony Vaio VGN-A170P W2k Install

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2004 2:42:51 PM

We purchased a Sony Vaio VGN-A170P notebook, with Windows XP
pre-installed. We use Windows 2000. I can't find a suitable driver
for the video. The one on Sony's website is for Windows XP only.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the video driver to
work? I've already visited ATI's website, and their driver will not
work. Is it possible that because it's a Sony, and they don't support
W2k, that only WXP drivers will work?

Thank you,

Kevin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2004 10:54:27 PM

Kevin Reetz wrote:
> We purchased a Sony Vaio VGN-A170P notebook, with Windows XP
> pre-installed. We use Windows 2000. I can't find a suitable driver
> for the video. The one on Sony's website is for Windows XP only.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the video driver to
> work? I've already visited ATI's website, and their driver will not
> work. Is it possible that because it's a Sony, and they don't support
> W2k, that only WXP drivers will work?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Kevin

Try the ATI drivers from www.omegadrivers.net, they'll support any
Radeon video card, including mobile ones.

Cosmin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2004 12:06:51 AM

Kevin Reetz <ktreetz@co.lewis.wa.us> wrote:
> We purchased a Sony Vaio VGN-A170P notebook, with Windows XP
> pre-installed. We use Windows 2000.

Are you the Borg? Or royalty? People who refer to themself in the
plural make me nervous!

> I can't find a suitable driver
> for the video. The one on Sony's website is for Windows XP only.

Guess you are SOL then, modulo advice from an adventurous Sony user ho
has ventured where the Borg have never been before.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the video driver to
> work? I've already visited ATI's website, and their driver will not
> work.

Tut, tut - maybe it needs an incentive? ("Will" in english denotes
volition).

> Is it possible that because it's a Sony, and they don't support
> W2k, that only WXP drivers will work?

Will again? Is that the future tense this time? Aren't you interested
in the present?

Support? Now there's a word. A' wonder what it means. Sounds
Orwellian to me! So things "won't" work because they sense a lack of
"support", eh?

No. Things work or do not work irrespective of what word some marketing
department uses to describe their company's telephone helpdesk attitude
to calls from l-users on the subject.

As it happens, often Sony install tools are programmed to reject
attempts to install on the wrong bios or platform. And as it happens,
different platforms in general (usually!) cannot use each others
drivers, because the o/s kernel model involved is different. So you
have a lot of reasons to suppose that you are indeed SOL, and a lot of
avenues to explore. But you won't get anywhere using words like
"support", and "recongnise" (hey, you didn't!), which sound like they
were regenerated by a telephone handset cleaner, second class.

It must be the heat ... maybe somebody will put you out of your misery
and tell you to persevere with the manufacturer's drivers for your
platform.

Peter
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2004 12:06:52 AM

P.T. Breuer <ptb@oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:

> were regenerated by a telephone handset cleaner, second class.

Uh-oh! Peter is channeling Douglas Adams again! ;-)

--
Regards,

James