Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU loading

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 24, 2010 5:17:18 AM


I'm used N270 CPU, 1GB ram.

my step:
turn on power,
waiting to loading windows xp.
choose logon username, and enter password.

NOW loading desktop and run startup application.
why that time, CPU process is 100% ...around wait 4 mins.

(Q1) I installed "symantec antivirus 10", is this problem?

(Q2) I check if CPU loading <10%, run WinWord, around used 15sec.
but >70%, run same, around need >30sec?
any idea if CPU loading >70%, CPU can accept new process?

please!

More about : cpu loading

a b à CPUs
April 24, 2010 5:22:52 AM

1) Yes, if you've installed Symantec Antivirus (Norton), it would slow down your Atom quite badly.

2) If load is 70%, it means that the CPU has effectively 30% of it's calculating ability left, and it takes longer for an application to load using 30% of the CPU instead of 90%+.
m
0
l
April 24, 2010 5:34:21 AM

(1) any suggest if disable norton to "startup", is good way?

(2) Is good way, run NEW application, check task manager:
CPU Loading >50%, waiting to <50%.
if >50% run new application. that waiting time and real loading, is no difference than see downgrade to <50% and run?

m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2010 7:50:42 AM

1. It will improve your computer performance, but may disable the antivirus prtoection.

2. Sorry, I don't understand... Do you mean that loading a new application less than 50% will load faster than loading it at more than 50%? If so... then yes.
m
0
l
April 24, 2010 2:41:53 PM

Disabling your anti virus would improve your performance but if you enable it back , your problem will appear again :) 
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 4:09:32 PM

Hey bud.....

I had the problem ,now wen symantec loads it creaste a huge pressure on CPU, It is not however antivirus which you call best,u shud change it,if not the try "msconfig"
>go to the services tab
>check the box hide all microsft services
>diable all other apps exept one which u wnt and the antivirus I reccomend to disable some of the microsoft services too,
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 4:12:45 PM

Hey bud.....


had the problem ,now wen symantec loads it creaste a huge pressure on CPU, It is not however antivirus which you call best,u shud change it,if not the try "msconfig"
>go to the services tab
>check the box hide all microsft services
>diable all other apps exept one which u wnt and the antivirus I reccomend to disable some of the microsoft services too,
then click startup and disable all.
I'm sure it will speed up the processor.More over u can turn off some processes from Task manager suchas ctfmon.exe
,wuauclt.exe,wmprisve.exe,bla..,bla...bla.....

regards....
m
0
l
May 1, 2010 5:48:09 AM

hey buddy......

anonymous post is mine .....

I repeat....

had the problem ,now wen symantec loads it creaste a huge pressure on CPU, It is not however antivirus which you call best,u shud change it,if not the try "msconfig"
>go to the services tab
>check the box hide all microsft services
>diable all other apps exept one which u wnt and the antivirus I reccomend to disable some of the microsoft services too,
then click startup and disable all.
I'm sure it will speed up the processor.More over u can turn off some processes from Task manager suchas ctfmon.exe
,wuauclt.exe,wmprisve.exe,bla..,bla...bla.....

regards....
m
0
l
May 2, 2010 8:07:01 AM

I selected "Symantec Anti Virus 10" NOT "Norton [year] antivirus" or that brand

(1) "symantec" is good product?

(2) any antivirus software, that answer is "startup must check few minutes" ?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 8:34:21 AM

Symantec and Norton are one and the same. Symantec are the company that makes the Norton line of products. I would avoid Norton if it were me. They always seem the 'go to' brand for consumers but there are far better AntiVirus solutions available. Norton is bloated and uses far too many resources than is necessary, which will be a very noticeable on your Atom N270 chip. In general Norton seems to be good at detecting malware infections but struggles to remove them effectively once they have been detected. Come to think of it, Norton itself is a nightmare to remove completely from a system! I would suggest Avira Antivirus. There's a free version available which performs very well and is pretty lightweight. There's a small advert that appears when you update but this can be closed without any problems. Give it a try and see how you things go.
m
0
l
May 2, 2010 10:35:43 AM

nope......mantec sucks and as moody89 told just try avira antivirus......

I've tried the same for my both machines..........
just give it a try...

gluc....
m
0
l
May 2, 2010 10:38:02 AM

moody89 said:
Symantec and Norton are one and the same. Symantec are the company that makes the Norton line of products. I would avoid Norton if it were me. They always seem the 'go to' brand for consumers but there are far better AntiVirus solutions available. Norton is bloated and uses far too many resources than is necessary, which will be a very noticeable on your Atom N270 chip. In general Norton seems to be good at detecting malware infections but struggles to remove them effectively once they have been detected. Come to think of it, Norton itself is a nightmare to remove completely from a system! I would suggest Avira Antivirus. There's a free version available which performs very well and is pretty lightweight. There's a small advert that appears when you update but this can be closed without any problems. Give it a try and see how you things go.

Thnks for ur advise....

Avira works for me very well......
AVIRA ROCKS....IS AVG and quick heal antivirus any good....?

Thanks.....
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 10:43:17 AM

tan007 said:
Thnks for ur advise....

Avira works for me very well......
AVIRA ROCKS....IS AVG and quick heal antivirus any good....?

Thanks.....


In my opinion AVG isn't an effective Antivirus solution. Much like Norton it's just the 'go to' name on the market. You mentioned free Antivirus and everybody thinks AVG. I've never heard of Quick Heal personally. Avira or Avast are about the best free solutions although many people find the Avast interface confusing hence the reason I tend to recommend Avira.

For a paid solution, I've been a solid Kaspersky user for many years.
m
0
l
May 2, 2010 1:48:33 PM

moody89 said:
In my opinion AVG isn't an effective Antivirus solution. Much like Norton it's just the 'go to' name on the market. You mentioned free Antivirus and everybody thinks AVG. I've never heard of Quick Heal personally. Avira or Avast are about the best free solutions although many people find the Avast interface confusing hence the reason I tend to recommend Avira.

For a paid solution, I've been a solid Kaspersky user for many years.


hey...

u've been a solid Kaspersky user for many years.Then how is the performance with kaspersky.........

please reply....

thanks....
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 2:06:16 PM

tan007 said:
hey...

u've been a solid Kaspersky user for many years.Then how is the performance with kaspersky.........

please reply....

thanks....


I use the Kaspersky Internet Security suite and have always found the impact on system performance to be minimal. I've never noticed it slow down my system to a great extent even when scanning and its always given me rock-solid protection. Scan times are pretty quick too and there's a nice little feature where you can opt to scan only new or changed files from a previous scan. Obviously if a file hasn't changed since the last scan it can't be infected so Kaspersky skips it. It saves a lot of time when scanning the full system.
m
0
l
May 2, 2010 4:12:38 PM

moody89 said:
I use the Kaspersky Internet Security suite and have always found the impact on system performance to be minimal. I've never noticed it slow down my system to a great extent even when scanning and its always given me rock-solid protection. Scan times are pretty quick too and there's a nice little feature where you can opt to scan only new or changed files from a previous scan. Obviously if a file hasn't changed since the last scan it can't be infected so Kaspersky skips it. It saves a lot of time when scanning the full system.

hey....

now that's what i call antivirus.....
now Im going to buy it tommorow as my computer is without any antivirus now only some temporarily protection,While I'll buy this will be uninstalled by my girlfriend and yup........thanks for the advise...

thanks man,I apreciate ur help.....
m
0
l
!