M3N-HT/Deluxe Memory Question

ingramr

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Hello,
Minimal problem but aggravating. ASUS M#N-HT Deluxe HDMI mobo, AMD Phenom 9850 CPU, Crucial memory 4X 2GB, Windows 7/64bit. Works great with 4 gb but when I try to instal either 6 or 8 then it won't post. Memory is on the QVL from ASUS. Any thoughts? Thanks.

tecmo34

Administrator
Typically when a motherboard has all of the slots full and not a "purchased set of 8GB" for example, you'll find the motherboard needs a little extra voltage on the DRAM Voltage to have it work correctly.

Also, is there an application you are using that needs more than 4GB, as most of the time, 4GB is plenty?

Just a little note,
make sure the the 2 pairs of RAM that you have got, old and new are put into the same color slots
Use the old ones in the yellow slots and the new ones in the black slots.
Do not mix and match.
Also it's always good to keep the Mobo's BIOS updated to the latest version even if you are not using the latest processor the BIOS helps improve other things too.

ingramr

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Checked each stick by itself in the first slot. All sticks read ok. Memory was purchased at the same time as matched pairs. Downloaded the latest bios yesterday. No change. Tried to use only yellow slots--no go. Tried to use just black slots--no go. Only works if I use the first two slots...one yellow and one black. So, any thoughts folks? Thanks.

ingramr

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Howdy folks! An Update.

I tested my mobo at lunch and found that it would not work according to the manual. If I have only two sticks then according to the manual it should be in the two yellow dimms (A1 and B1). However, that doesn't work. The memory is only seen when a single stick is in A1 (yellow), or 2 sticks are in A1(yellow) and A2 (black). All 4 sticks test good when using 1 stick in A1 or any combination of 2 sticks in A1 and B1. No other problems occur. It boots fine and works quite well with 2 or 4 GB. Just not with 8 GB. As an aside, in the bios the first step up in voltage is 1.82. I tried it but it had no effect. As did trying ganged and unganged. Also, I noticed in bios the 4096 installed and 4095 available. Hmmmm.

I'm using the same board with 8GB of RAM in all the slots (2GBX4) Phenom II X2 555BE and actually I have two sets of different RAMs both sets are of different timings I think, but I will still recheck and let you know the exact timings and makes in the next few hours.

Ok, I got it here you can check it out....
RAM : 8192 MB DDR2 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 334.9 MHz (3:5) @ 5-5-5-15
Slot 1 : 2048MB (6400)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Transcend Information
Slot 2 : 2048MB (6400)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Transcend Information
Slot 3 : 2048MB (6400)
Slot 3 Manufacturer : SpecTek Incorporated
Slot 4 : 2048MB (6400)
Slot 4 Manufacturer : SpecTek Incorporated

The CPUZ Validator Link is here
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1414991

So I guess it does work
And please no one, go about the frequencies and power or make of it or the validation aspect of te rig, cos it's not meant to be anything other than the rig it is....

ingramr

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Alyoshka,

The memory is all matched. Two kits purchased at the same time. CT2KIT25664AA800 240 pin DDR2 PC2 6400. I have run memtest and there are no problems with the memory. The Asus QVL list does not list the memory but the list is very out of date. The Crucial site recommends this memory for this board. I think I am going to request an RMA because the memory only works in the first two slots, one yellow and one black. It should not be that way. I have also run CPU-Z and the CPU is fine. I will see what happens when I request an RMA. Thanks.

Ron

ingramr

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Well, according to the Asus tech, my memory controllers on the CPU are bad. Ok, so I will order a new CPU, a Phenom II 965 3.4 and install it and I will advise you all of the results. Thanks.

ingramr

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Here ya go! Problem solved. Memory controllers were bad in the Phenom 9850. Installed a new Phenom II X4 965 and all memory is seen and used. CPU-Z verified all channels.

ingramr

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Here ya go! Problem solved. Memory controllers were bad in the Phenom 9850. Installed a new Phenom II X4 965 and all memory is seen and used. CPU-Z verified all channels.

TRENDING THREADS