$500 Work Build Custom Rig? Please Help!

amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
My dad is running a Celeron Compaq computer with 1GB of ddr ram. The computer was 8 years old! I have a i7 rig and he used it for a day when his computer crashed and now he wants one like mine that is fast. I didn't buy the parts, I bought it in a lot on ebay for $800 and built the PC. I'd like a build for him so I can buy the parts and put a pc together for him. Here is his requirements:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: end of the month of Feb/2010

BUDGET RANGE: Around $500 After Rebates AT MOST is $600

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Surfing the Web and Outlook, Light Photoshoping

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS, Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers,

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com & tigerdirect.com other sites might be considered
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: INTEL PROCESSOR! NO AMD! I don't know why but my dad hates AMD. I think a Core 2 Duo or a Quad would fit best for him. I think an i7 is overkill for him.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe(just a little)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe(I'd do it with dual 4350's)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Again here is doesn't matter to him. I think the standard HDMI resolution is what will work

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: He needs atleast a 250GB HDD but a 500GB is recommended. Also a semi-low graphics would be nice for Photoshop, I have a Radeon 4350 and might buy another one and SLI it so I'd like a SLI board. I'd only overclock it maybe .5Ghz or 1Ghz, that too if the Processor has nice airflow. I need a nice parts list. I would like for him to have 2GB or 4GB in Dual Channel. So yeah that is about it. Also if anyone has a nice monitor recommendation OVER 24" that can go into portrait mode please let me know because I need one. Thanks!

If you dont need gaming graphics and a quad core processor, you might be a candidate for one of the new i5 dual cores with embedded graphics and an H57 motherboard.

I would normally recommend an Athlon II x4 and AM3 motherboard with onboard video, but since AMD is unacceptable, the new i5 duals are the next most sensible thing.

amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

well thats what I have been explaining to my dad, he hates AMD. I tell him to give it a try, but he doesn't