Creating XP install disk with all the updates

toronado

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I'm interested in creating an installer disk for Windows XP SP3 including all the updates. I've searched Google on this topic and found several interesting tutorials including this one, but not sure what is the preferred/latest method.

ktownmike

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Totally free is windows backup, I do not know about bare bones recovery, acronis is good, but can be unreliable, if you want a locked in guarantee norton ghost is good.

XP is old so it doesn't surprise me that there haven't been any changes to nlite in a while. It will still install any drivers and patches you make available to it. I'd start with a copy of XP SP3 and roll in all the updates since SP3 + any additional drivers you may need.

toronado

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

Thanks. Regarding the updates/hotfixes, do I only need to include the updates SINCE SP3, or do I need ALL the updates?

SP3 already includes all updates up to the point SP3 was released so if you have a copy of XP with SP3, then you will only need to include all drivers since SP3 was released. These updates will be merged with the copy of XP SP3 that you have.

toronado

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

I have two copies of XP Home (32 bit) which I've purchased - one Retail and one OEM. I'm not sure if my copies even include SP2, but I know they don't include SP3 because anytime I install from one of them it downloads a zillion updates first, and then downloads and installs SP3, and then more updates.

Using nLite for the first time will be a learning experience for me. Regarding the drivers, I'm making this installer disk to be used with my new build, but I'm running nLite on an old computer which I'll use to burn the disk. Can I even obtain the correct drivers for my new build in advance? Or will only the drivers that work with the old computer be available?

toronado

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
OK thanks! I've got the SP3 downloaded from the link you gave me, and I've downloaded the drivers I need for my logicboard from the manufacturer's site (Gigabyte). Now I'm wondering... can I get the updates/hotfixes since SP3 to roll those into my custom install?

Edit: I'm browsing the list of updates on Microsoft's site by date (newest to oldest), I suppose I just need to download each one of these individually? How far back? Is there a date before which I don't need them because they are included in SP3?

toronado

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

No, that's all the updates included in SP3. I mean is there a way to get just the updates since SP3?

I'm browsing this list of all updates. (I don't know whether Microsoft, or anyone, has compiled a list of the subset of updates since SP3.) Do I just need to download every single one of those that was posted after the release of SP3 (March 2008?)?

toronado

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

I believe the article numbers do correspond with the KB numbers. However, the problem is you can't go by those numbers because they are out of sequence - that is, they don't follow chronologically. It jumps around randomly.

For example:

Update for Windows XP (KB952287) Release date: 5/12/2008
Update for Windows XP (KB944043) Release date: 5/26/2008
Update for Windows XP (KB951830) Release date: 5/26/2008
Update for Windows XP (KB932823) Release date: 5/27/2008

I suppose I would need to know what the cut off date is, and then download everything after that. I did find a few lists by searching the internet. The trouble is, I think Microsoft may have revised and changed things since those lists were compiled.

It may not be worth it to try to slipstream the post SP3 updates. I might just include SP3 on my disk and then let the automatic updates grab the rest of them since SP3.