NEED HELP....Added new RAM, but computer will not boot

mrkf74

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
In a computer that I built about 4 years I initially installed 1GB of Corsiair ValueSelect RAM (2 x 512, VS512MB400, PC3200, 184pin) in 2 slots (4 slots available) on MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum MS-7025 motherboard. I have a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 939 chip (1.8MHz, System Clock 200 MHz) which I have overclocked to run at 2.3MHz (System Clock 256.0 MHz).

I purchased the other day another 1GB Kit (VS1GBKIT400, 2 x 512GB) of the same memory to install in the other two slots to make it 2GB system. However, when I installed the new RAM the system will start up, but will not boot up after the first screen (the part where it says to hit TAB to POST or Delete to go into BIOS). I then removed my old RAM sticks and put in the new ones in the same slot and when I powered up this time I got only a white screen with gray patterns and nothing else.

Here is the information for my memory when I use the System Information for Windows program.

Memory Summary

Maximum Capacity 16384 MBytes
Max Memory Module Size 4096 Mbytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction None
DRAM Freq 209.5 MHz
Memory Timings 3-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP_RAS)

Device Locator Slot 1

Manuf Corsair
Part# VS512MB400
Capacity 512
Mem Type DDR (PC3200)
Speed 200 MHz
Support Freq 200 MHz
Memory Timings 2-3-3-8-9 at 200.0 MHz, at 2.5 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)

The above info is the same for Slot 2 as well.

The Corsair website shows the following for the 1GB Kit that I got:
VS1GBKIT400 PC-3200 1GB Kit 2.5-3-3-8 184pin DIMM

One thing I did notice is on the new RAM sticks they have only 8 memory chips on one side compared to 8 chips on both sides (16 total) on the old RAM sticks. Is the new set being single sided and old one being double sided make a difference? And for some reason they seem to sit a bit lower compared to my old RAM sticks.

So what could be my issue here? Do I have to change some settings since I'm overclocking?

mrkf74

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

Going to that link I see the same settings for VS512MB400 and VS1GBKIT400....2.5-3-3-8-3T 2.6v...Where do you see 3-3-3-8-2T for the VS512MB400?

So in Slot 1 use the old 512 stick, Slot 2 use new 512MB (from the 1 Kit), Slot 3 old 512MB stick and Slot 4 new 512MB stick...is that correct?

Any ideas of where to go to change the CAS settings? I went into my BIOS settings, but couldn't find any memory settings there.

^Copy/paste error, they are all 2.6v 2.5-3-3-8-2T
VS512MB400 - 2.6v 2.5-3-3-8-2T / 3-3-3-8-2T @ 2.6v
VS1GBKIT400 - 2.6v 2.5-3-3-8-2T / 2.5-3-3-8-2T @ 2.6v

Yes, "match" the "colors with the RAM. It would seem that your memory was never installed properly from the beginning.

For, now don't worry about the CAS settings, you will not see them in the BIOS unless you change {Auto -> Manual}.

mrkf74

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

OK I did slot 1 (green) old 512, slot 2 (purple) new 512, slot 3 (old 512), and slot 4 (new 512)....when I power up I just get a black screen. The monitor indicator does not change from yellow to green when it normally boots up. So essentially right now I have 4 x 512MB VS512MB400 as indicated on each memory stick (whether old or new). So I don't know why it is not working?

Why is it that when I just put in the the 2 new 512 in just Slot 1 and Slot 2 and it still won't boot up compared to when I put the 2 old 512? Does it have anything to do with new 512 sticks having only 8 chips on and the old ones have 16 chips on each stick? I mean if that is not an issue why then the computer doesn't boot up with just 1GB of memory using the new sticks?

Test one set at a time, Channel A, {Green} and boot. Next, swap RAM and place the other set {Green}.

Your MOBO - {scroll down to "see" Channel A & B}

Next, make certain everything is clean - pull the RAM sticks and clean the stick's contacts with an eraser and "blow-out" the MOBO DIMM slots; especially the "slot 2-3" that were unused. VERIFY that you are properly mounting the RAM and they "snap-in"/seated properly.

Test, create a bootable CD/DVD using Memtest76+ {ISO/zip} - http://www.memtest.org/ ; initially try ALL RAM installed as I described above.

Lastly, refer to your manual and Clear CMOS.

mrkf74

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

I did Slot 1 and Slot 3 (the green ones) with the 2 new 512 sticks and system would not boot. Didn't test the old ones in the same slot yet. I did go into my BIOS settings to check out the DRAM Configuration and these are the following:

Max Memclock: 166
1T/2T Memory Timing: 1T
CAS#: 2.5
Trcd: 3
Tras: 8
Trp: 3

I don't know if I need to check anything in the those settings to make it work or not. What do you think?

Clearly, you're getting into the BIOS. {My guess is Windows is more likely the problem.} Next though, you need to R/O the a BAD stick using Memtest with all sticks.

Q - If you have all of the RAM installed {properly as above} can you get into the BIOS?

If you can and the Memtest {run at least 1 hour} passes then boot your Windows in the CD/DVD and F8 Repair Windows.

mrkf74

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

Well I'm using my laptop to post the responses here and not my desktop. I have it right now with the 2 old 512 sticks running in Slot 1 (green) and Slot 2 (purple). This setup seems to work only with the old sticks and not with the new sticks. I will do what you posted in the previous response and see what happens. It's just weird why the new RAM just won't respond since they are exactly the same brand and type.

I wish it were that unusual; I've seen same EXACT Part-Number screw-up a hexa-channel; the OP noted a slight silk color variation and as soon as "each lot" was separated into proper channels - Bingo it worked.

Again, if you can get into BIOS with ALL 4 sticks {as above} then I'd focus my attention on Windows. BTW - Adobe Flash v 10.1 has caused boot errors just like you described.

/Going offline for until tomorrow/

mrkf74

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
I just can't get the single-sided 512 RAM sticks to work by themselves at all. I've tried every combination and nothing works. Going by what the mobo manufacturer recommends it should work with 2 512MB single-sided sticks whether in slot1/slot2 or slot3/slot4. It's something if they don't work with my 2 double sided 512 sticks, but why is not working just by themselves. I think I might have to return the sticks back to Amazon unless I find a way to make it work.

{on my iPhone} I didn't look to notice about SS vs DS if that's the case about SS configuration then my assumption is it will never work. The reason {even/odd} slots represent Channels and you cannot mix RAM per channel {catch-22}.

Later I will look at the manual for SS placement.

mrkf74

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

But how come the new single-sided sticks don't work by themselves? The manual shows that I can do SS on Slot1/Slot2, 3/4, or 1/3. However, if I want to do all 4 slots then it's either all SS or DD...it does not show that I can do a mix of SS or DD.

I can see why we can't mix the two, but then why is my system not booting when I just do the 2 SS 512 sticks? That should work as indicated in the manual. Maybe I need to change some settings in the BIOS (maybe change the FSB speed, voltage, etc.) to make the SS work compared to DS?

mrkf74

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

Thanks for that info. So then why is it that the new SS 512 sticks won't work by themselves. I put then in this format S-S-E-E or E-E-S-S and computer won't boot. When I put in my old DS 512 sticks in either DS-DS-E-E or E-E-DS-DS format it works fine.

Can it be the actual RAM is bad or what? What are the chances of that happening? Well even if the SS worked I would still have to purchase another set of these SS in order to get 2GB total of RAM since I can't mix with my old DS 1GB combo. Or go for a 2GB kit that has 2 1GB SS or DS sticks for Slots 1 and 2.

I guess since I can't really mix in with my old RAM then I can choose a different vendor to get RAM from that will work with with this MOBO. But I'm still trying to figure out why the SS ones won't work just by themselves.

I would have caught that earlier but Corsair link failed to mention anything about SS vs DS. According, to MSI they have no solution for this mixture as you can see. So one way or the other the "DIMM Module Combination" must be adhered to for your memory to work.

mrkf74

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

But it still doesn't answer the issue of why the SS ones don't work by themselves as indicated in the MSI configuration sheet? It looks like I can't mix SS and DS, but why isn't the SS memory working at at all in the slots as indicated.

If SS does not work at all then I don't want to waste time and purchase 2 x 1GB SS RAM from either Corsair, Crucial, etc. if in the end it won't work. And pretty much I think these days all the PC3200 memory being sold is SS rather than DS.

I was thinking of maybe going with Crucial 2GB kit or Kingston ValueRam 2GB (2 sticks of 1GB) and trying that out. I think both of these are SS as well, but not sure.

Any suggestions?