Solved

BIOS temps vs CoreTemp and HWMonitor readings

Rebuild finished, Win 7 64-bit installed, drivers updated and all seems to be working fine. Actually posting this from new build. I downloaded and ran CoreTemp (64-bit) and HWMonitor (64-bit) to check temperatures and voltages. I'm a little confused about the readings they produced as opposed to the readings in PC Health in the BIOS.

BIOS temps are System temp = 40C, CPU = 44C (at this writing). Both CoreTemp and HWMonitor show CPU temps in the 30-32C range. Which are to be believed? Also, in HWMonitor, there are readings for TMPIN0, TMPIN1 and TMPIN2. I've done a little searching around and there are varying opinions as to what these readings relate to (case temp, core temp, NB temp, etc.). Anyone have a definitive answer?

GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev.3.3) BIOS version F11
Athon II X2 250 (Regor) 3.0 Ghz CPU
Corsair 2x1 GB DDR2 PC-6400 Dual Channel memory CL5 (5-5-5-18)
Rosewill 430W 80 Plus Certified Single Rail 12V PSU
I'm using the onboard VGA, ATI Radeon 4200
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

BTW, thanks to all who helped getting this up and running!
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bios temps coretemp hwmonitor readings
  1. Best answer
    The Apps are monitoring different components from the BIOS:
    1. Core Temp: http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=892
    2. HW Monitor - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor/supported-hardwares.html

TMPIN0-2 are AMD references the socket temp.
  2. Thanks for the reply. I'm just surprised there is a 12 degree Celsius difference between what the BIOS says the CPU temp is and what the apps are reporting. I prefer the apps readings myself! ;) Which do you think is more accurate?

I've just been into the BIOS and was watching the +12v voltage switch between 12.175 and 12.239. Is that normal or cause for concern? In the same context, how do the voltages as reported by HWMonitor look?
  3. NB can go up to 105C {221F}, so there's an entire spectrum of "normal" temps. CPU @ stress 50C-65C is the primary concern.
  4. Best answer selected by highcountryrider.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte BIOS Motherboards