Gaming possible through remote desktop?

Veesofnaught

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I'm designing my new home and I want to take advantage of some different possibilities. I have a room next to the home theater room that will be "cold storage". I would like to build a full-tower pc that will hook up to the projector in the other room for movies and gaming while taking advantage of the cooler temps in the cold storage.

I was wondering, though, would it be possible to run a direct ethernet connection through the walls and connect to the PC via remote desktop and use the PC as if it were a desktop a few feet away. For example, could my sun plug his laptop into the ethernet connection and play games fluidly? Is a 1 Gbps connection fast enough?

trnddwn33

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Remote desktop isn't made for streaming video, its made to give the user remote access to the desktop. It doesn't matter how fast the connection is, its probably going to give you a terrible framerate, let alone input latencies for controls.

If the room is right next door, why not just run a cable to the projector and use a wireless keyboard set to do that gaming?

Veesofnaught

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
The projector will be connected to the pc via hdmi. In a sense, the projector will be the "main screen" for the pc. I was just wondering if it was possible to use the pc in distant rooms like a regular desktop if 1 Gbps was fast enough. However, it looks like cjl is right that remote desktop doesn't support 3d acceleration. I guess I could try running long DVI or HDMI cords through the walls.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Seconding the recommendation for monoprice. CNet uses their cables for all of their A/V testing gear, and the computer cables are of equal quality. I've had very good experiences buying from them. No reason to buy a $30+ cable at Best Buy or Radio Shack is overcharging for, when you can get it for $8 at monoprice.