Ya call this Thief?

Last response: in Video Games
June 2, 2004 6:56:50 AM

Hate to bitch but have a few complaints. Seems the new game is great eye
candy if you have a supercomputer.

The first two thief games are still the best no matter what.

What I like about the new game is the atmosphere. Could have been the best
if not for the feeling that you are floating in slow mo while stoned on
muscle relaxers.

Can't kill someone after blackjacking them.

Stacked a bunch of dead bodies and came back and they were gone. Never
happened in the first 2 games.

Love the lockpicking, takes awhile but this will make the game appear
longer. Good trick.

Hate the arrow pointing. Angled and inaccurate.

Like the easy way to put out candles. And Garrets voice is same as before.

So why try to be a thief if you go in an opposite direction from the first
2? To compete with the other state of the art messes that are called newer
games.

All us hardcore Thief fans wanted was a few tweaks and new missions but
keep the original way to play the same. Maybe a better name would have been
Thief 3 Garret Dreams on Acid.

More about : call thief

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 2:39:19 PM

reborn rolla wrote:

> Stacked a bunch of dead bodies and came back and they were gone. Never
> happened in the first 2 games.

ARGH! Some taffer stole my corpses!

--
Chris Herborth chrish@cryptocard.com
Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp. http://www.cryptocard.com/

> > Stacked a bunch of dead bodies and came back and they were gone. Never
> > happened in the first 2 games.

I think this only happens when you leave the area through a loading zone and
is done strictly as a way to keep the game running smoothly (less objects).
June 2, 2004 5:07:27 PM

"reborn rolla" <zzrollazz@King2.com> wrote in message news:Slbvc.475$DV4.255@clgrps13...
> Hate to bitch but have a few complaints. Seems the new game is great eye
> candy if you have a supercomputer.
>
> The first two thief games are still the best no matter what.

I (and quite a few others) solidly believe it beats T2, running a close second
to T:D P

> What I like about the new game is the atmosphere. Could have been the best
> if not for the feeling that you are floating in slow mo while stoned on
> muscle relaxers.

You (Garret) are now attached to a modeled body rather than just a camera floating
in mid-air. Your view and movement are now influenced by the body that's attached
at the neck, ring any bells?

> Can't kill someone after blackjacking them.

Why would you want to?

> Stacked a bunch of dead bodies and came back and they were gone. Never
> happened in the first 2 games.

You think you need a supercomputer now?

> Love the lockpicking, takes awhile but this will make the game appear
> longer. Good trick.

Careful, a positve comment almost made it out alone there!

> Hate the arrow pointing. Angled and inaccurate.

Good point

> Like the easy way to put out candles. And Garrets voice is same as before.

There we go!

> So why try to be a thief if you go in an opposite direction from the first
> 2? To compete with the other state of the art messes that are called newer
> games.

I don't see "an opposite direction". There are far more features the same or similar,
than different. Wouldn't "an opposite direction" infer no stealth, no story, no Hammers,
no Pagans, no Keepers, no Blackjack, no Cathedral, no Humorous Guards,
no Water/Fire/Gas/Moss Arrows, no........etc......etc.....?

> All us hardcore Thief fans wanted was a few tweaks and new missions but
> keep the original way to play the same. Maybe a better name would have been
> Thief 3 Garret Dreams on Acid.

Thankyou for speaking for all of "us hardcore Thief Fans" If all you wanted was the
same game, after four years of production, then no wonder you are disappointed.
The engine/graphics was way behind when T2 was released four years ago, not to
expect some changes after this time is naive.
The game has been well received on both the Ion and TTLG forums, I think that
speaks more for the "hardcore Thief fans".
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 6:47:31 PM

> Thankyou for speaking for all of "us hardcore Thief Fans" If all you
wanted was the
> same game, after four years of production, then no wonder you are
disappointed.
> The engine/graphics was way behind when T2 was released four years ago,
not to
> expect some changes after this time is naive.
> The game has been well received on both the Ion and TTLG forums, I think
that
> speaks more for the "hardcore Thief fans".

The Art gallery on the Shipping and Receiving level in Thief 2 was not way
behind in graphics.
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 7:28:34 PM

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:02:10 -0400, "CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net>
wrote:

>> > Stacked a bunch of dead bodies and came back and they were gone. Never
>> > happened in the first 2 games.
>>
>I think this only happens when you leave the area through a loading zone and
>is done strictly as a way to keep the game running smoothly (less objects).

Nope, it happens when I just go around a corner near Garrett's flat. I'm
trying to figure out if the game is just respawning the filler NPCs as if
they have woken up from being blackjacked, or if it's just creating
entirely new NPCs. I'm doing this by killing all the NPCs. I'm not sure
yet if the killed ones respawn.

It's annoying - the respawning. I usually like to clear an area of guards
and witnesses. If they're going to just respawn I might as well just
ghost the missions and entirely ignore my weapons. :(

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

> Nope, it happens when I just go around a corner near Garrett's flat. I'm
> trying to figure out if the game is just respawning the filler NPCs as if
> they have woken up from being blackjacked, or if it's just creating
> entirely new NPCs. I'm doing this by killing all the NPCs. I'm not sure
> yet if the killed ones respawn.

Yeah, they might be respawning guards and civilians to keep up the
appearance of a functioning city.

> It's annoying - the respawning. I usually like to clear an area of guards
> and witnesses. If they're going to just respawn I might as well just
> ghost the missions and entirely ignore my weapons. :(

Nah, there's just more to do. Do KO guards respawn as well? Maybe that's a
way out?
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 11:32:54 PM

"Tony" <musicman@hotmail.com> writes:

> You (Garret) are now attached to a modeled body rather than just a
> camera floating in mid-air. Your view and movement are now
> influenced by the body that's attached at the neck, ring any bells?

True. But is this necessarily a good thing? Ie, when you watch good
cinema, do you see head bob? No. They've even designed camera
dollies that allow you to carry the camera while running and still
show no bobbing. Head bob in games is not at all realistic since our
brains compsensate for it in real life. Yet year after year games
still add head bob.

--
Darin Johnson
Support your right to own gnus.

> > You (Garret) are now attached to a modeled body rather than just a
> > camera floating in mid-air. Your view and movement are now
> > influenced by the body that's attached at the neck, ring any bells?
>
> True. But is this necessarily a good thing? Ie, when you watch good
> cinema, do you see head bob? No. They've even designed camera
> dollies that allow you to carry the camera while running and still
> show no bobbing. Head bob in games is not at all realistic since our
> brains compsensate for it in real life. Yet year after year games
> still add head bob.

That's my major complaint about the game. When you just stop and look
around with the mouse, the scenery doesn't keep up with it. Making it buggy.
I am using a 128mb nvidea card 5200 fx. Maybe that's not enough?

I just finished breaking out of Pavelock prison which was an awesome part
of the game so far. But sneaking up on guards is slow and not like the first
2 games.

> Darin Johnson
> Support your right to own gnus.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 12:21:14 AM

"CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net> wrote in message
> > Nope, it happens when I just go around a corner near Garrett's flat.
I'm
> > trying to figure out if the game is just respawning the filler NPCs as
if
> > they have woken up from being blackjacked, or if it's just creating
> > entirely new NPCs. I'm doing this by killing all the NPCs. I'm not
sure
> > yet if the killed ones respawn.
> >
> Yeah, they might be respawning guards and civilians to keep up the
> appearance of a functioning city.
>
> > It's annoying - the respawning. I usually like to clear an area of
guards
> > and witnesses. If they're going to just respawn I might as well just
> > ghost the missions and entirely ignore my weapons. :(
> >
> Nah, there's just more to do. Do KO guards respawn as well? Maybe that's
> way out?

Knocked out guards and other AI do respawn. Too bad the loot don't... ripp
off! :D
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 12:21:15 AM

"McEve" <mceve@azcappy.com> writes:

> Knocked out guards and other AI do respawn.

Please tell me they only respawn in the city, and not during missions!
The way I normally play T1/T2 is to knock everyone out so that I can
leisurely tapdance through the joint while looking under all the
cushions. Respawning is an evil born from adrenalin based games.

--
Darin Johnson
Luxury! In MY day, we had to make do with 5 bytes of swap...

"Darin Johnson" <darin_@_usa_._net> wrote in message news:cu1fz9dn46i.fsf@nokia.com...

> when you watch good
> cinema, do you see head bob? No. They've even designed camera
> dollies that allow you to carry the camera while running and still
> show no bobbing. Head bob in games is not at all realistic since our
> brains compsensate for it in real life. Yet year after year games
> still add head bob.
>
> --
That would be a good point apart from your analogy to The Cinema,
Cameras are kept still, (Relatively speaking) and the use of dollies
are employed because we are NOT characters in the movie!
We are an "outside entity" watching the events unfold.
How many films have you seen where you are in "first-person"
for the whole movie? Occasionally first person is used for effect,
usually in small amounts at a time, and yes, you will often notice
a "movement" of the head when walking.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 12:54:19 AM

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 20:14:46 GMT, "reborn rolla" <zzrollazz@King2.com>
wrote:

> That's my major complaint about the game. When you just stop and look
>around with the mouse, the scenery doesn't keep up with it. Making it buggy.
>I am using a 128mb nvidea card 5200 fx. Maybe that's not enough?

That's your problem. Change the rez to the next smaller size and check
the difference.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 1:41:17 AM

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 20:14:46 GMT, "reborn rolla" <zzrollazz@King2.com>
> wrote:
>
> > That's my major complaint about the game. When you just stop and look
> >around with the mouse, the scenery doesn't keep up with it. Making it
buggy.
> >I am using a 128mb nvidea card 5200 fx. Maybe that's not enough?
>
> That's your problem. Change the rez to the next smaller size and check
> the difference.

Now hold on. On the back of the game box it says the specs needed are:

256mb memory (I have 386mb)
1.5 pentium4 or Athlon ( I have 2.0 p4)
Nvidia fx series video card and several others are supported. ( I have 5200
series with latest driver from Nvidia).

I was running it on 1024/768 but changed it to 800/600 as you recommended.
Made little difference. They should not put those specs on the box cause
they are way below what is needed obviously to play the game bug free.

> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 1:52:14 AM

> "McEve" <mceve@azcappy.com> writes:
>
> > Knocked out guards and other AI do respawn.
>
> Please tell me they only respawn in the city, and not during missions!
> The way I normally play T1/T2 is to knock everyone out so that I can
> leisurely tapdance through the joint while looking under all the
> cushions. Respawning is an evil born from adrenalin based games.
>
> --
> Darin Johnson
> Luxury! In MY day, we had to make do with 5 bytes of swap...

Actually, I didn't notice until after coming back to the city after a
mission complete. All the AI was back, and all my unconcious were gone.

As long as I stayed in the city, going from one part to the other, I never
noticed any respawn. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen though - only that
I didn't notice.

It would look weird with a completely deserted city, so I think it's right
that it should be like that. One thief - even Garret himself - couldn't wipe
out a whole city..? :-)
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 1:52:15 AM

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:52:14 +0200, "McEve" <mceve@azcappy.com> wrote:

>It would look weird with a completely deserted city, so I think it's right
>that it should be like that. One thief - even Garret himself - couldn't wipe
>out a whole city..? :-)

Plus I have to say even while playing T1 and T2 I caught myself wondering why
the next shift never came to work...
http://www.pobox.com/~hapgood
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 2:52:04 AM

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:41:17 GMT, "reborn rolla" <zzrollazz@King2.com>
wrote:

> Now hold on. On the back of the game box it says the specs needed are:

I'm just suggesting that as a way for you to see if your video card is the
problem.

>256mb memory (I have 386mb)
>1.5 pentium4 or Athlon ( I have 2.0 p4)
>Nvidia fx series video card and several others are supported. ( I have 5200
>series with latest driver from Nvidia).
>
> I was running it on 1024/768 but changed it to 800/600 as you recommended.
>Made little difference. They should not put those specs on the box cause
>they are way below what is needed obviously to play the game bug free.

Technically a low frame rate isn't a bug, is it? One nice thing about
Thief is you're not running around shooting anything that moves - instead
you should be moving carefully and slowly, planning your actions with
deliberate care...

Make sure vertical sync is disabled in your video card drivers, that bloom
is disabled in the game and that you don't have stuff running in the
background chewing up resources.

Personally I would get at least 1GB of RAM and a FX5700 or better video
card (although it might be prudent to wait for the FX6xxx series to
actually hit the streets and drive the prices of the older cards down.)

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 3:13:08 AM

"Tony" <musicman@hotmail.com> writes:

> We are an "outside entity" watching the events unfold.
> How many films have you seen where you are in "first-person"
> for the whole movie? Occasionally first person is used for effect,
> usually in small amounts at a time, and yes, you will often notice
> a "movement" of the head when walking.

Name such a movie that did this often and was also easy to watch. I
don't say it doesn't exist, but it just seems so odd. I can recall
seeing this, but it was done primarily to emphasize that a camera was
being carried (ie, reporter running to the scene of a crime), not to
make the scene easier to view.

When I go jogging, I can still easily read the signs I pass even
though my head is bobbing up and down. That's because my brain sorts
out all the details. But with a screen (computer or movie) the brain
doesn't act the same way. What's typical with a lot of people is that
they can adapt to viewing the bobbing, but at the same time they get
nausea because the brain is getting mixed signals (the center of view
is moving but the periphery is not and the middle ear is saying the
person is sitting still). Other people can adapt without problems;
and still others can't adapt at all.

--
Darin Johnson
Support your right to own gnus.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 7:26:50 AM

The Blair Witch Project

What do I win? Wee...

Darin Johnson wrote:

> "Tony" <musicman@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > We are an "outside entity" watching the events unfold.
> > How many films have you seen where you are in "first-person"
> > for the whole movie? Occasionally first person is used for effect,
> > usually in small amounts at a time, and yes, you will often notice
> > a "movement" of the head when walking.
>
> Name such a movie that did this often and was also easy to watch. I
> don't say it doesn't exist, but it just seems so odd. I can recall
> seeing this, but it was done primarily to emphasize that a camera was
> being carried (ie, reporter running to the scene of a crime), not to
> make the scene easier to view.
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 12:01:21 AM

EepĀ² <no@spam.com> writes:

> The Blair Witch Project

It wasn't necessarily easy to watch. Of course, there was nothing
much to see except trees bouncing up and down.

> What do I win? Wee...

But you do win actually. A bottle of wee. But since you top posted,
you get an upside down bottle of wee instead.

--
Darin Johnson
"Particle Man, Particle Man, doing the things a particle can"

Pentium III - 800
512 MB RAM
Radeon 8500 w 128MB Ram
AGP 2X

1024x768
Bloom enabled
Level of Detail 50%
Shadow Detail 40%
Light cutoff 35%

Now I don't know the frame rates, but I have absolutely no problem
with the gameplay. Smooth, rapid response.

Don't know what to say...maybe you should upgrade your NVidia board or
buy an old ATI!

(Percentages are estimations)

--
Thanks
Verne

Darin Johnson wrote:

> EepĀ² <no@spam.com> writes:
>
> > The Blair Witch Project
>
> It wasn't necessarily easy to watch. Of course, there was nothing
> much to see except trees bouncing up and down.

Well, I never saw it so I don't know if it was easy or not to watch, but considering its popularity at the time, surely it was...

> > What do I win? Wee...
>
> But you do win actually. A bottle of wee. But since you top posted,
> you get an upside down bottle of wee instead.

maa? <blink>
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 8:11:49 AM

> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:41:17 GMT, "reborn rolla" <zzrollazz@King2.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Now hold on. On the back of the game box it says the specs needed are:
>
> I'm just suggesting that as a way for you to see if your video card is the
> problem.
>
> >256mb memory (I have 386mb)
> >1.5 pentium4 or Athlon ( I have 2.0 p4)
> >Nvidia fx series video card and several others are supported. ( I have
5200
> >series with latest driver from Nvidia).
> >
> > I was running it on 1024/768 but changed it to 800/600 as you
recommended.
> >Made little difference. They should not put those specs on the box cause
> >they are way below what is needed obviously to play the game bug free.
>
> Technically a low frame rate isn't a bug, is it? One nice thing about
> Thief is you're not running around shooting anything that moves - instead
> you should be moving carefully and slowly, planning your actions with
> deliberate care...
>
> Make sure vertical sync is disabled in your video card drivers, that bloom
> is disabled in the game and that you don't have stuff running in the
> background chewing up resources.
>
> Personally I would get at least 1GB of RAM and a FX5700 or better video
> card (although it might be prudent to wait for the FX6xxx series to
> actually hit the streets and drive the prices of the older cards down.)

Would like to know if people running higher specs. are having no bugs? I
don't run anything in the background (firewall is off and internet
unplugged) even defragged the hardrive etc. Must be the ram then.
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 8:20:23 AM

"WinSurfer" <vgbeck@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Pentium III - 800
> 512 MB RAM
> Radeon 8500 w 128MB Ram
> AGP 2X
>
> 1024x768
> Bloom enabled
> Level of Detail 50%
> Shadow Detail 40%
> Light cutoff 35%
>
> Now I don't know the frame rates, but I have absolutely no problem
> with the gameplay. Smooth, rapid response.
>
> Don't know what to say...maybe you should upgrade your NVidia board or
> buy an old ATI!

See you have more ram but less 800 p3 where I have p4 2.0. Damn where am I
going wrong cause I can't sneak up or run away quickly and it's frustrating.

> (Percentages are estimations)
>
> --
> Thanks
> Verne
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 12:47:30 PM

McEve wrote:

> Actually, I didn't notice until after coming back to the
> city after a mission complete. All the AI was back, and
> all my unconcious were gone.
>
> As long as I stayed in the city, going from one part to
> the other, I never noticed any respawn. That doesn't mean
> it doesn't happen though - only that I didn't notice.

Same here, I think it's supposed to be that it's the next evening, and the
guards have woken back up. There are signs on the wall telling you about
the previous days crime. I.e. knockouts pickpocket etc.

--
Morgan.
----

Mail: Morgan.Sales@ntlworld.com
Webpage: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/msales
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 5:34:56 PM

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 04:11:49 GMT, "reborn rolla" <zzrollazz@King2.com>
wrote:

> Would like to know if people running higher specs. are having no bugs? I
>don't run anything in the background (firewall is off and internet
>unplugged) even defragged the hardrive etc. Must be the ram then.

Well, I think there are still bugs in the game but performance seems fine
for me. I'm only closing one background program since it has mucked up
the graphics on other games before - Coolmon. I'm leaving my firewall
(Kerio) and ad filter (Proxomitron) running though. It's running quite
smooth and crisp at 1024x768x32 with all the settings at max but bloom
disabled.

I've got 2GB of RAM right now, a 2.6GHz P4 at 3.2 and just a old SBLive!
card. Oh, and an FX5900XT.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 10:39:24 PM

You are not a taffer, sir, you are a braggart.

--
Thanks
Verne

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:39:24 -0700, WinSurfer <vgbeck@shaw.ca> wrote:

>You are not a taffer, sir, you are a braggart.

Why? This isn't a high end system ... oh. You're in Canada. I'm sorry.
At least you have electricity now. Do you have inside plumbing yet? ;PPP

--
!