Ya call this Thief?

Hate to bitch but have a few complaints. Seems the new game is great eye
candy if you have a supercomputer.

The first two thief games are still the best no matter what.

What I like about the new game is the atmosphere. Could have been the best
if not for the feeling that you are floating in slow mo while stoned on
muscle relaxers.

Can't kill someone after blackjacking them.

Stacked a bunch of dead bodies and came back and they were gone. Never
happened in the first 2 games.

Love the lockpicking, takes awhile but this will make the game appear
longer. Good trick.

Hate the arrow pointing. Angled and inaccurate.

Like the easy way to put out candles. And Garrets voice is same as before.

So why try to be a thief if you go in an opposite direction from the first
2? To compete with the other state of the art messes that are called newer
games.

All us hardcore Thief fans wanted was a few tweaks and new missions but
keep the original way to play the same. Maybe a better name would have been
Thief 3 Garret Dreams on Acid.
27 answers Last reply
More about call thief
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    reborn rolla wrote:

    > Stacked a bunch of dead bodies and came back and they were gone. Never
    > happened in the first 2 games.

    ARGH! Some taffer stole my corpses!

    --
    Chris Herborth chrish@cryptocard.com
    Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp. http://www.cryptocard.com/

    > > Stacked a bunch of dead bodies and came back and they were gone. Never
    > > happened in the first 2 games.

    I think this only happens when you leave the area through a loading zone and
    is done strictly as a way to keep the game running smoothly (less objects).
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "reborn rolla" <zzrollazz@King2.com> wrote in message news:Slbvc.475$DV4.255@clgrps13...
    > Hate to bitch but have a few complaints. Seems the new game is great eye
    > candy if you have a supercomputer.
    >
    > The first two thief games are still the best no matter what.

    I (and quite a few others) solidly believe it beats T2, running a close second
    to T:DP

    > What I like about the new game is the atmosphere. Could have been the best
    > if not for the feeling that you are floating in slow mo while stoned on
    > muscle relaxers.

    You (Garret) are now attached to a modeled body rather than just a camera floating
    in mid-air. Your view and movement are now influenced by the body that's attached
    at the neck, ring any bells?

    > Can't kill someone after blackjacking them.

    Why would you want to?

    > Stacked a bunch of dead bodies and came back and they were gone. Never
    > happened in the first 2 games.

    You think you need a supercomputer now?

    > Love the lockpicking, takes awhile but this will make the game appear
    > longer. Good trick.

    Careful, a positve comment almost made it out alone there!

    > Hate the arrow pointing. Angled and inaccurate.

    Good point

    > Like the easy way to put out candles. And Garrets voice is same as before.

    There we go!

    > So why try to be a thief if you go in an opposite direction from the first
    > 2? To compete with the other state of the art messes that are called newer
    > games.

    I don't see "an opposite direction". There are far more features the same or similar,
    than different. Wouldn't "an opposite direction" infer no stealth, no story, no Hammers,
    no Pagans, no Keepers, no Blackjack, no Cathedral, no Humorous Guards,
    no Water/Fire/Gas/Moss Arrows, no........etc......etc.....?

    > All us hardcore Thief fans wanted was a few tweaks and new missions but
    > keep the original way to play the same. Maybe a better name would have been
    > Thief 3 Garret Dreams on Acid.

    Thankyou for speaking for all of "us hardcore Thief Fans" If all you wanted was the
    same game, after four years of production, then no wonder you are disappointed.
    The engine/graphics was way behind when T2 was released four years ago, not to
    expect some changes after this time is naive.
    The game has been well received on both the Ion and TTLG forums, I think that
    speaks more for the "hardcore Thief fans".
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > Thankyou for speaking for all of "us hardcore Thief Fans" If all you
    wanted was the
    > same game, after four years of production, then no wonder you are
    disappointed.
    > The engine/graphics was way behind when T2 was released four years ago,
    not to
    > expect some changes after this time is naive.
    > The game has been well received on both the Ion and TTLG forums, I think
    that
    > speaks more for the "hardcore Thief fans".

    The Art gallery on the Shipping and Receiving level in Thief 2 was not way
    behind in graphics.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:02:10 -0400, "CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net>
    wrote:

    >> > Stacked a bunch of dead bodies and came back and they were gone. Never
    >> > happened in the first 2 games.
    >>
    >I think this only happens when you leave the area through a loading zone and
    >is done strictly as a way to keep the game running smoothly (less objects).

    Nope, it happens when I just go around a corner near Garrett's flat. I'm
    trying to figure out if the game is just respawning the filler NPCs as if
    they have woken up from being blackjacked, or if it's just creating
    entirely new NPCs. I'm doing this by killing all the NPCs. I'm not sure
    yet if the killed ones respawn.

    It's annoying - the respawning. I usually like to clear an area of guards
    and witnesses. If they're going to just respawn I might as well just
    ghost the missions and entirely ignore my weapons. :(

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    > Nope, it happens when I just go around a corner near Garrett's flat. I'm
    > trying to figure out if the game is just respawning the filler NPCs as if
    > they have woken up from being blackjacked, or if it's just creating
    > entirely new NPCs. I'm doing this by killing all the NPCs. I'm not sure
    > yet if the killed ones respawn.

    Yeah, they might be respawning guards and civilians to keep up the
    appearance of a functioning city.

    > It's annoying - the respawning. I usually like to clear an area of guards
    > and witnesses. If they're going to just respawn I might as well just
    > ghost the missions and entirely ignore my weapons. :(

    Nah, there's just more to do. Do KO guards respawn as well? Maybe that's a
    way out?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Tony" <musicman@hotmail.com> writes:

    > You (Garret) are now attached to a modeled body rather than just a
    > camera floating in mid-air. Your view and movement are now
    > influenced by the body that's attached at the neck, ring any bells?

    True. But is this necessarily a good thing? Ie, when you watch good
    cinema, do you see head bob? No. They've even designed camera
    dollies that allow you to carry the camera while running and still
    show no bobbing. Head bob in games is not at all realistic since our
    brains compsensate for it in real life. Yet year after year games
    still add head bob.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    Support your right to own gnus.

    > > You (Garret) are now attached to a modeled body rather than just a
    > > camera floating in mid-air. Your view and movement are now
    > > influenced by the body that's attached at the neck, ring any bells?
    >
    > True. But is this necessarily a good thing? Ie, when you watch good
    > cinema, do you see head bob? No. They've even designed camera
    > dollies that allow you to carry the camera while running and still
    > show no bobbing. Head bob in games is not at all realistic since our
    > brains compsensate for it in real life. Yet year after year games
    > still add head bob.

    That's my major complaint about the game. When you just stop and look
    around with the mouse, the scenery doesn't keep up with it. Making it buggy.
    I am using a 128mb nvidea card 5200 fx. Maybe that's not enough?

    I just finished breaking out of Pavelock prison which was an awesome part
    of the game so far. But sneaking up on guards is slow and not like the first
    2 games.

    > Darin Johnson
    > Support your right to own gnus.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net> wrote in message
    > > Nope, it happens when I just go around a corner near Garrett's flat.
    I'm
    > > trying to figure out if the game is just respawning the filler NPCs as
    if
    > > they have woken up from being blackjacked, or if it's just creating
    > > entirely new NPCs. I'm doing this by killing all the NPCs. I'm not
    sure
    > > yet if the killed ones respawn.
    > >
    > Yeah, they might be respawning guards and civilians to keep up the
    > appearance of a functioning city.
    >
    > > It's annoying - the respawning. I usually like to clear an area of
    guards
    > > and witnesses. If they're going to just respawn I might as well just
    > > ghost the missions and entirely ignore my weapons. :(
    > >
    > Nah, there's just more to do. Do KO guards respawn as well? Maybe that's
    > way out?

    Knocked out guards and other AI do respawn. Too bad the loot don't... ripp
    off! :D
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "McEve" <mceve@azcappy.com> writes:

    > Knocked out guards and other AI do respawn.

    Please tell me they only respawn in the city, and not during missions!
    The way I normally play T1/T2 is to knock everyone out so that I can
    leisurely tapdance through the joint while looking under all the
    cushions. Respawning is an evil born from adrenalin based games.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    Luxury! In MY day, we had to make do with 5 bytes of swap...

    "Darin Johnson" <darin_@_usa_._net> wrote in message news:cu1fz9dn46i.fsf@nokia.com...

    > when you watch good
    > cinema, do you see head bob? No. They've even designed camera
    > dollies that allow you to carry the camera while running and still
    > show no bobbing. Head bob in games is not at all realistic since our
    > brains compsensate for it in real life. Yet year after year games
    > still add head bob.
    >
    > --
    That would be a good point apart from your analogy to The Cinema,
    Cameras are kept still, (Relatively speaking) and the use of dollies
    are employed because we are NOT characters in the movie!
    We are an "outside entity" watching the events unfold.
    How many films have you seen where you are in "first-person"
    for the whole movie? Occasionally first person is used for effect,
    usually in small amounts at a time, and yes, you will often notice
    a "movement" of the head when walking.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 20:14:46 GMT, "reborn rolla" <zzrollazz@King2.com>
    wrote:

    > That's my major complaint about the game. When you just stop and look
    >around with the mouse, the scenery doesn't keep up with it. Making it buggy.
    >I am using a 128mb nvidea card 5200 fx. Maybe that's not enough?

    That's your problem. Change the rez to the next smaller size and check
    the difference.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 20:14:46 GMT, "reborn rolla" <zzrollazz@King2.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > That's my major complaint about the game. When you just stop and look
    > >around with the mouse, the scenery doesn't keep up with it. Making it
    buggy.
    > >I am using a 128mb nvidea card 5200 fx. Maybe that's not enough?
    >
    > That's your problem. Change the rez to the next smaller size and check
    > the difference.

    Now hold on. On the back of the game box it says the specs needed are:

    256mb memory (I have 386mb)
    1.5 pentium4 or Athlon ( I have 2.0 p4)
    Nvidia fx series video card and several others are supported. ( I have 5200
    series with latest driver from Nvidia).

    I was running it on 1024/768 but changed it to 800/600 as you recommended.
    Made little difference. They should not put those specs on the box cause
    they are way below what is needed obviously to play the game bug free.

    > Michael Cecil
    > http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > "McEve" <mceve@azcappy.com> writes:
    >
    > > Knocked out guards and other AI do respawn.
    >
    > Please tell me they only respawn in the city, and not during missions!
    > The way I normally play T1/T2 is to knock everyone out so that I can
    > leisurely tapdance through the joint while looking under all the
    > cushions. Respawning is an evil born from adrenalin based games.
    >
    > --
    > Darin Johnson
    > Luxury! In MY day, we had to make do with 5 bytes of swap...

    Actually, I didn't notice until after coming back to the city after a
    mission complete. All the AI was back, and all my unconcious were gone.

    As long as I stayed in the city, going from one part to the other, I never
    noticed any respawn. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen though - only that
    I didn't notice.

    It would look weird with a completely deserted city, so I think it's right
    that it should be like that. One thief - even Garret himself - couldn't wipe
    out a whole city..? :-)
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:52:14 +0200, "McEve" <mceve@azcappy.com> wrote:

    >It would look weird with a completely deserted city, so I think it's right
    >that it should be like that. One thief - even Garret himself - couldn't wipe
    >out a whole city..? :-)

    Plus I have to say even while playing T1 and T2 I caught myself wondering why
    the next shift never came to work...
    http://www.pobox.com/~hapgood
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:41:17 GMT, "reborn rolla" <zzrollazz@King2.com>
    wrote:

    > Now hold on. On the back of the game box it says the specs needed are:

    I'm just suggesting that as a way for you to see if your video card is the
    problem.

    >256mb memory (I have 386mb)
    >1.5 pentium4 or Athlon ( I have 2.0 p4)
    >Nvidia fx series video card and several others are supported. ( I have 5200
    >series with latest driver from Nvidia).
    >
    > I was running it on 1024/768 but changed it to 800/600 as you recommended.
    >Made little difference. They should not put those specs on the box cause
    >they are way below what is needed obviously to play the game bug free.

    Technically a low frame rate isn't a bug, is it? One nice thing about
    Thief is you're not running around shooting anything that moves - instead
    you should be moving carefully and slowly, planning your actions with
    deliberate care...

    Make sure vertical sync is disabled in your video card drivers, that bloom
    is disabled in the game and that you don't have stuff running in the
    background chewing up resources.

    Personally I would get at least 1GB of RAM and a FX5700 or better video
    card (although it might be prudent to wait for the FX6xxx series to
    actually hit the streets and drive the prices of the older cards down.)

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Tony" <musicman@hotmail.com> writes:

    > We are an "outside entity" watching the events unfold.
    > How many films have you seen where you are in "first-person"
    > for the whole movie? Occasionally first person is used for effect,
    > usually in small amounts at a time, and yes, you will often notice
    > a "movement" of the head when walking.

    Name such a movie that did this often and was also easy to watch. I
    don't say it doesn't exist, but it just seems so odd. I can recall
    seeing this, but it was done primarily to emphasize that a camera was
    being carried (ie, reporter running to the scene of a crime), not to
    make the scene easier to view.

    When I go jogging, I can still easily read the signs I pass even
    though my head is bobbing up and down. That's because my brain sorts
    out all the details. But with a screen (computer or movie) the brain
    doesn't act the same way. What's typical with a lot of people is that
    they can adapt to viewing the bobbing, but at the same time they get
    nausea because the brain is getting mixed signals (the center of view
    is moving but the periphery is not and the middle ear is saying the
    person is sitting still). Other people can adapt without problems;
    and still others can't adapt at all.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    Support your right to own gnus.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    The Blair Witch Project

    What do I win? Wee...

    Darin Johnson wrote:

    > "Tony" <musicman@hotmail.com> writes:
    >
    > > We are an "outside entity" watching the events unfold.
    > > How many films have you seen where you are in "first-person"
    > > for the whole movie? Occasionally first person is used for effect,
    > > usually in small amounts at a time, and yes, you will often notice
    > > a "movement" of the head when walking.
    >
    > Name such a movie that did this often and was also easy to watch. I
    > don't say it doesn't exist, but it just seems so odd. I can recall
    > seeing this, but it was done primarily to emphasize that a camera was
    > being carried (ie, reporter running to the scene of a crime), not to
    > make the scene easier to view.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Eep² <no@spam.com> writes:

    > The Blair Witch Project

    It wasn't necessarily easy to watch. Of course, there was nothing
    much to see except trees bouncing up and down.

    > What do I win? Wee...

    But you do win actually. A bottle of wee. But since you top posted,
    you get an upside down bottle of wee instead.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    "Particle Man, Particle Man, doing the things a particle can"

    Pentium III - 800
    512 MB RAM
    Radeon 8500 w 128MB Ram
    AGP 2X

    1024x768
    Bloom enabled
    Level of Detail 50%
    Shadow Detail 40%
    Light cutoff 35%

    Now I don't know the frame rates, but I have absolutely no problem
    with the gameplay. Smooth, rapid response.

    Don't know what to say...maybe you should upgrade your NVidia board or
    buy an old ATI!

    (Percentages are estimations)

    --
    Thanks
    Verne

    Darin Johnson wrote:

    > Eep² <no@spam.com> writes:
    >
    > > The Blair Witch Project
    >
    > It wasn't necessarily easy to watch. Of course, there was nothing
    > much to see except trees bouncing up and down.

    Well, I never saw it so I don't know if it was easy or not to watch, but considering its popularity at the time, surely it was...

    > > What do I win? Wee...
    >
    > But you do win actually. A bottle of wee. But since you top posted,
    > you get an upside down bottle of wee instead.

    maa? <blink>
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:41:17 GMT, "reborn rolla" <zzrollazz@King2.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Now hold on. On the back of the game box it says the specs needed are:
    >
    > I'm just suggesting that as a way for you to see if your video card is the
    > problem.
    >
    > >256mb memory (I have 386mb)
    > >1.5 pentium4 or Athlon ( I have 2.0 p4)
    > >Nvidia fx series video card and several others are supported. ( I have
    5200
    > >series with latest driver from Nvidia).
    > >
    > > I was running it on 1024/768 but changed it to 800/600 as you
    recommended.
    > >Made little difference. They should not put those specs on the box cause
    > >they are way below what is needed obviously to play the game bug free.
    >
    > Technically a low frame rate isn't a bug, is it? One nice thing about
    > Thief is you're not running around shooting anything that moves - instead
    > you should be moving carefully and slowly, planning your actions with
    > deliberate care...
    >
    > Make sure vertical sync is disabled in your video card drivers, that bloom
    > is disabled in the game and that you don't have stuff running in the
    > background chewing up resources.
    >
    > Personally I would get at least 1GB of RAM and a FX5700 or better video
    > card (although it might be prudent to wait for the FX6xxx series to
    > actually hit the streets and drive the prices of the older cards down.)

    Would like to know if people running higher specs. are having no bugs? I
    don't run anything in the background (firewall is off and internet
    unplugged) even defragged the hardrive etc. Must be the ram then.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "WinSurfer" <vgbeck@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Pentium III - 800
    > 512 MB RAM
    > Radeon 8500 w 128MB Ram
    > AGP 2X
    >
    > 1024x768
    > Bloom enabled
    > Level of Detail 50%
    > Shadow Detail 40%
    > Light cutoff 35%
    >
    > Now I don't know the frame rates, but I have absolutely no problem
    > with the gameplay. Smooth, rapid response.
    >
    > Don't know what to say...maybe you should upgrade your NVidia board or
    > buy an old ATI!

    See you have more ram but less 800 p3 where I have p4 2.0. Damn where am I
    going wrong cause I can't sneak up or run away quickly and it's frustrating.

    > (Percentages are estimations)
    >
    > --
    > Thanks
    > Verne
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    McEve wrote:

    > Actually, I didn't notice until after coming back to the
    > city after a mission complete. All the AI was back, and
    > all my unconcious were gone.
    >
    > As long as I stayed in the city, going from one part to
    > the other, I never noticed any respawn. That doesn't mean
    > it doesn't happen though - only that I didn't notice.

    Same here, I think it's supposed to be that it's the next evening, and the
    guards have woken back up. There are signs on the wall telling you about
    the previous days crime. I.e. knockouts pickpocket etc.

    --
    Morgan.
    ----

    Mail: Morgan.Sales@ntlworld.com
    Webpage: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/msales
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 04:11:49 GMT, "reborn rolla" <zzrollazz@King2.com>
    wrote:

    > Would like to know if people running higher specs. are having no bugs? I
    >don't run anything in the background (firewall is off and internet
    >unplugged) even defragged the hardrive etc. Must be the ram then.

    Well, I think there are still bugs in the game but performance seems fine
    for me. I'm only closing one background program since it has mucked up
    the graphics on other games before - Coolmon. I'm leaving my firewall
    (Kerio) and ad filter (Proxomitron) running though. It's running quite
    smooth and crisp at 1024x768x32 with all the settings at max but bloom
    disabled.

    I've got 2GB of RAM right now, a 2.6GHz P4 at 3.2 and just a old SBLive!
    card. Oh, and an FX5900XT.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    You are not a taffer, sir, you are a braggart.

    --
    Thanks
    Verne

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:39:24 -0700, WinSurfer <vgbeck@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >You are not a taffer, sir, you are a braggart.

    Why? This isn't a high end system ... oh. You're in Canada. I'm sorry.
    At least you have electricity now. Do you have inside plumbing yet? ;PPP

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Games Video Games