Help building a high end gaming rig

winuwinu

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Well I had a post typed out, but I found that how to ask thread and so I'll make the needed modifications.

This would be my second time building a computer, my old hard drive recently crapped out, and I figured since I only have a 3.4 GHz hyperthreading processer(it's been too long to remember such things) that I'd build a new one.

I know I want to go with the i7 920 intel processor. I'll likely go with onboard sound since I'll most likely be confined to headphones anyway, but post suggestions for a soundcard incase I decide to upgrade later, or tell me if it's even worth it.

I want to go with an nVidia SLI config, probably the GTX295. For the optical drives, I probably just need one blu-ray/dvd player, since I don't burn movies or anything.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:(e.g.: this week (the closer the better)) Last time I checked, I had 2,550 USD saved up. So depending on the cost of the setup, ASAP, to maybe a month.

BUDGET RANGE:(e.g.: 600-800) 5,000 USD is as high as I'm willing to go, before rebates? I'm not sure. Never rebated anything.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:(e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies) Gaming, web browsing, movies.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:(e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)**Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using** Mouse, (MAYBE) Soundcard/speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:(e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing) I've used tigerdirect befroe, but I've heard good things about newegg. Nothing shady? Those two are my first choices.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:(e.g.: Grand Fenwick) United States, Florida

PARTS PREFERENCES:by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case) I want an Intel CPU, nVidia sli video cards (I'm leaning towards two GTX 295, but feel free to give me your opinions.) I don't need an ungodly large monitor, good price/function would be nice, I'd like it to have HDMI as well.

OVERCLOCKING: I'm new to the whole overclocking thing, so depending on the ease/risk, yes I would definitely like to.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes to SLI

MONITOR RESOLUTION:(e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200) I've never really played at anything over 1600x1200, so that would be fine. But I'm willing to go as high as is practical to my budget.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:(e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC) It doesn't need to be showy, this is simply a personal computer. If you know of any good surround sound headphones, I'd like some of those. It doesn't have to be silent, but I'd prefer it not sound like an airplane like my current computer.

If I left anything out please let me know.

ANY assistance is greatlygreatlyGREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.

(Note: I realize it might look like I'm being lazy, etc. But I'm really not. D:

I simply don't have access to a computer to do extensive research about compatability etc.

Compatability being my main concern.)

winuwinu

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
-_- sorry for the double post first of all.

But I have to apologize for the smilies.

I figure this should go below the rest, I've been looking around, and people are recommending AMD for gaming. Also, that the i5 is better for gaming, where i7 is more for highly threaded tasks. I've always used pentiums, so I don't really know about the differences.

Also, I've heard Windows 7 professional is recommended for it's 'xp emulator' or whatever.

Any input?

TRENDING THREADS