goldeneagal

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I have a asus m2a-vm (am2 )(amd 690g chip set) motherboard,amd athlon 64 x2 5050e 2.66 ghz processor,nvidia geforce 9500 gt 512mb ddr3 pci-e 2.0 video card,2 sticks of 1gb crucial memory,how does this rate?what could i do to get better?i play games like C&C3>My monitor is a Acer and my resolution is set at 1440 X 900 pixels.I have windows xp professional 32 bit os.

Well, for any average game, I'd say your weakest component is your Graphics Card. To know what to replace that with we'd need to know your monitor resolution. Next, I'd say ram. 2GB is the bare minimum, so many games will see benefits from going to 4. After that would be processor, but that is a pretty decent one (and the only worthwhile upgrade would end up replacing the whole computer) so I'd ignore that one.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Eh, depends on what OS he's using. 2 GB is fine in XP or 32 bit win7. (not sure about vista, never used its 32 bit version) Otherwise, yeah.

But a better graphics card would help quite a bit actually. That card is from the "well you can see things" lineup. People don't seem to get that a higher model number doesn't equal a better performing card. (though this particular one is a tier below the x1950 Pro, which really is a fairly good card for its age.)

@EXT64
Is that name a linux reference?

goldeneagal

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

my monitor is a 19" widescreen set at 1440x900 pixels,windows xp professional,my computer is only using half the memory so there's stiill 1 GB not be used so whats compatible and better graphics card how much is it?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
With that I'd say the 4670, 4770 or 4850 (though you won't have access to all of this card's speed, though you could make a go for it with overclocking and see what happens)

Or if you're up for ebay, the 3870 can be gotten for like $50-60, or others around there performance-wise.