hm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
I'm building a i5-3570K in a Corsair 500R case. I plan to moderately overclock, nothing extreme.

Initial plan was to use a CM Hyper 212 EVO.

Today the Corsair H60 is going for $40.

From comments on this board it appears the actual cooling for the two is similar. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The advantages of the H60 would seem to be a much cleaner appearance, easier to work on the MB and no need for low profile memory.

The disadvantages of the H60 as I see it are higher cost +$15 and possible quality problems.

My initial thoughts were that the H60 might cool somewhat better and I would gamble on the quality problem but now I'm wondering if that's best.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Basically, you just need to determine whether or not the convenience and aesthetics are worth $15 (potentially $35 if the rebate doesn't go through).

I'd wager most of Tom's would agree that the 212 is a better choice.

mrdowntownkiller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
well if you are not going to overclock madly i think the 212 will do just fine , if you want a liquid cooler which is also quite good and also around the H60 price is the antec Kuhler H2O 620 i think its a good liquid cooler for $49

hm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
OK, the H60 is no longer in consideration. The review was very helpful. I also looked at the Kuhler 620 which is also now at $40. The review of it was better than the H60.

One confusing thing is to see people report dramatic decreases in temp when using one cooling system and then look at test results and sometimes the delta is 5 degrees or less. Confusing to say the least.

So now the decision is between the 212 and the Kuhler 620.

Any more votes?

socialfox

Distinguished
I have used both the Kuhler 620 (on the build I'm typing on right now) and the Hyper 212 and I can tell you the difference is about 1-2 degrees. In addition the Kuhler 620 is loud with the fans and because of my bad computer case I installed it in the rear fan slot as an intake to lower CPU temperatures. You really don't want to have an intake fan for the rear 120mm fan slot in the back, that's meant for exhausting but I have my power supply fan to compensate that since it is top mount and above the radiator.

Bottom line is the Hyper 212 EVO is better based on noise and price/performance ratio.

hm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004

Hey, you're throwing this decision back on me! :)

I'll ponder this more a little later tonight. I would like to go the water route but noise and problems I don't need!

socialfox

Distinguished
Hey just something to add, if the Kuhler 620 fails then your CPU will most likely overheat on the spot compared to the Hyper 212 EVO which will hold its ground until a good amount of load is applied. In addition the Kuhler 620 (and any closed loop water cooler) has many parts which increase chances of failure. Aircoolers on the other hand are pretty much made up of a heatsink (including heat pipes) and a fan. The only thing that I know of that fails on a air cooler is the fan which is easily replaceable.

mrdowntownkiller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012

no am not throwing anything back on you we told you what is difficulties of water cooling and what you will face whether with the 212 or the kuhler so the final decision you should make not us :) , one more cpu fan you should look at the Nzxt Havik 120 its a very good cooler at this price.

hm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
OK, being a conservative kinda guy I'll most likely go with the 212, fewer active moving parts etc.

I had a concern thinking it might not fit with the side case fan but someone over in the case area assured me it would. I think it's offset from the side fan.

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it!