• Asus
  • BIOS
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
September 28, 2010 3:09:43 AM

Hello,
I was building an upgraded computer for my home and bought the following

Asus P5N-D mother board

Intel Duo Pentium E6700 microprocessor (LGA 775 socket)

Corsair (2 2Gb memory modules)

Ge Force 8400 GS graphics card.

When I boot up all the fans work, but the keyboard and monitor are not functional and there is no bios beep

I removed everything including memory, graphics card etc. and booted up. I get the bios beeps for no memory installed

Install the memory and nothing. No bios beeps for no graphic card.

I contacted Asus and they were of no help

I looked up on the Asus website and downloaded the BIOS for the microprocessor that I installed. Based on dates I believe the BIOS on the mother board is any older BIOS than the one I downloaded. However, without keyboard and monitor how can I load a new BIOS file? I tried making a CD with the files and that did not work. I tried making a floppy disk and executing in DOS but that did not work.

Fist of all, would an out of date BIOS cause the problem? If not what do you think is wrong?
Second if the BIOS file is the problem how can I load it without keyboard and monitor?

More about : asus p5n motherboard boot

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2010 12:20:50 PM

Does your motherboard have LED lamps to indicate the problem area ?

If not, does your motherboard have Mem-O.K switch ? If yes, power on your computer and wait for 30 seconds or so. Then press MemOK button on the motherboard and wait some time to see if you have something appearing on the monitor. You may remove one memory module ( leaving only one module installed ) before starting to do this test.
m
l
October 15, 2010 11:06:07 PM

suat said:
Does your motherboard have LED lamps to indicate the problem area ?

If not, does your motherboard have Mem-O.K switch ? If yes, power on your computer and wait for 30 seconds or so. Then press MemOK button on the motherboard and wait some time to see if you have something appearing on the monitor. You may remove one memory module ( leaving only one module installed ) before starting to do this test.

No the only LED on the motherboard is to indicate power.
Sorry no Mem-OK switch either that I can tell
I believe the problem is an old Bios.
How can I load the BIOS when I don't have Keyboard or Monitor?

m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 111 V Motherboard
October 16, 2010 12:19:55 AM

You can't. Go to the troubleshooting guide (link in my signature) for no boot/no display issues. The t/s guide is made to troubleshoot concerns like yours; it is filled with the most common tips/reasons for a no boot/no display.

At the bottom of the t/s guide, there is a link to a breadboarding guide. Breadboarding will help you eliminate case problems. Often times a short circuit happens during installation, but isn't apparent until you try to power on your system.
m
l
October 18, 2010 12:39:19 PM

I have performed all suggestions from the trouble shooting guide. I also did all the suggestions from the ASUS service desk. The motherboard is not install in a case. I have it on my workbench so there are no shorts to any metal case. And yes the mother board in on an insulator.
m
l
October 18, 2010 4:17:33 PM

How many watts is your power supply? I had a cheap one once that couldn't provide enough power to use an ATI 4350 (low power card). Thats what I got for upgrading an HP.

Are you using PS/2 or USB keyboard and mice? If USB, try booting with PS/2. Sometimes the defualt for a bios is to let the OS handle USB so only PS/2 will work at boot.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 111 V Motherboard
October 18, 2010 7:27:23 PM

what were the readings from the PSU test?
m
l
October 25, 2010 12:18:34 AM

Plumble said:
How many watts is your power supply? I had a cheap one once that couldn't provide enough power to use an ATI 4350 (low power card). Thats what I got for upgrading an HP.

Are you using PS/2 or USB keyboard and mice? If USB, try booting with PS/2. Sometimes the defualt for a bios is to let the OS handle USB so only PS/2 will work at boot.

I have a 600 watt PS. I am using PS/2 and non USB keyboard. I am not using any USB at this point.

m
l
October 25, 2010 12:20:11 AM

T_T said:
what were the readings from the PSU test?

I don't get anything on my monitor. No response to Keyboard, monitor, or mouse. However I do get the hard disk drive light.

m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 111 V Motherboard
October 26, 2010 8:11:59 PM

Your response suggests that you didn't perform all suggestions from the troubleshooting guide. Considering that you don't use a monitor to test your PSU's voltage, i'm fairly certain that you can't conclusively rule out a bad PSU.

Go get yourself a multimeter and test your PSU. The multimeter should display, with ~5% variance, the same figures shown in the troubleshooting guide.

m
l
!