Sign in with
Your question

Hey, I have started school in the hopes to one day be a character modeler for ga

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2010 1:59:27 AM

So here's the skinny: I have started school in the hopes to one day be a character modeler for games. My experience with building computers from scratch is limited to upgrading ram and installing sound cards (none). I use programs such as Maya, 3ds Max, Z Brush, Photoshop, After effects, etc...... I am also working in the Unreal engine. I have read posts concerning 3d workstation builds on this site that are from a few years ago, and was wondering what a current build would look like. I have a $2,500 budget and would like to get the most bang for my buck. I am also a college student so any money I can save would be great. Though this computer will be primarily a 3d workstation, I am also a gamer and would like the best of both worlds if that is possible. I appreciate your help
February 18, 2010 2:15:48 AM

I think you can get away with getting a powerful consumer-level card, instead of ones designed for 3D workstations, if you get a powerful enough CPU. You'll probably be doing software renders anyway, which completely relies on CPU power. First things first though, use this format to ask your question properly.
m
l
February 21, 2010 2:07:31 AM

Here it is in proper format :

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: 3d Modeling (maya, Max, zbrush, mudbox) Adobe Suite, Unreal, Unity, Gaming, Surfing the web, word processing.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: need all

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Best quality I can get within my pricerange

OVERCLOCKING: Maybee

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like the machine to be as future proofed as possible, I would like dual monitors, I would like lots of storage, I would like a machine that can handle 30 million + polygons.

Here is a sample build a friend made for me. What do you think?

Thanks for your help!!

m
l
!